PC & Video Games

SNES mini - $80 Sept 29 2017

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2018 4:50 pm
Tags:

Poll: How will it do?

• Total votes: 435. You have voted on this poll.
Buy buy buy!

59%
Flipping heaven

26%
Dust collector

16%
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
Hakchi2 is a tool for flashing a custom kernel and also a GUI for adding your own ROMs to the SNES Mini. You can also add plugins like RetroArch (another emulator) that let you emulate stuff from various console eras. The only real constraint is space but some people are using USB-OTG cables to hook up external hard drives and such. There is still plenty of space to get all of the good games for both the NES and SNES on there.

There is no need to dig through torrent sites to find SNES roms, they are readily available on many websites though its against the rules here to mention them so no one will link them. Use Google.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10602 posts
687 upvotes
Mississauga
Does the re-released NES classic have more memory than the original? I would think they'd be using the rev2 boards from the SNES.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5909 upvotes
Playing through Final Fight 3 (rom) on SNES classic.
The best multiplayer side scrolling beat 'em up game IMO.

Final Fight 3 is more fun than Turtles in Time, Power Rangers: Movie Edition, or any of the Streets of Rage games
but often got overlooked because the first two Final Fight games were bad and the game was released at the end of the SNES's life cycle.

There are alternate paths to take in this game.
I skipped over 2 bosses by triggering the alternate paths (break he bus stop sign, entering newly opened broken down doors).

dmdsoftware2 wrote: Does the re-released NES classic have more memory than the original? I would think they'd be using the rev2 boards from the SNES.
The new NES classic has the same space as the first launch version. NES games are so small that if you wanted to you could add the entire NES game lineup into
an NES classic.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10602 posts
687 upvotes
Mississauga
XFactor11 wrote: Playing through Final Fight 3 (rom) on SNES classic.
The best multiplayer side scrolling beat 'em up game IMO.

Final Fight 3 is more fun than Turtles in Time, Power Rangers: Movie Edition, or any of the Streets of Rage games
but often got overlooked because the first two Final Fight games were bad and the game was released at the end of the SNES's life cycle.

There are alternate paths to take in this game.
I skipped over 2 bosses by triggering the alternate paths (break he bus stop sign, entering newly opened broken down doors).

The new NES classic has the same space as the first launch version. NES games are so small that if you wanted to you could add the entire NES game lineup into
an NES classic.
I actually found a tear down. It's actually a revision 3 board. slightly different, streamlined to be used in either snes or nes.

I thought I had read somewhere that the SNES classic NAND was larger than the NES, but I see both are 512MB.