Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19248 posts
5516 upvotes
danned wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 5:12 pm
Snowing in bc lower mainland
How emergency is that?
It wasn't quite abandoned cars, but no one was driving faster than 20km/h.
Nor were they driving in their own lanes but lane splitting.
Oh and as usual no one knows which lane to drive in. People were crawling along at 20 in the "fast" lane.

I literally coasted behind most of these idiots.
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 3:40 pm
-3 is t-shirt weather lol.
This is my favorite type of snow.
A butt ton of it but not too cold.
It was great. Well until you tried driving.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1878 posts
793 upvotes
Kitchener
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2019 9:32 pm
Time to call the ARMY!
I recall when they did this for Toronto when they got 3 cm of snow. So the west coast deserves the same courtesy.
Well, I am not a crook.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5341 posts
622 upvotes
Calgary
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 3:40 pm
-3 is t-shirt weather lol. Come out here where it’s been -35 with a windchill of -40 for the last 10 days.
Yep, -3 would be shirt vs skin outdoor hockey.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6114 posts
3335 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 5:37 pm
West coast is weird like that.

I was in Seattle once and it snowed a couple inches.
The entire city shut down.
People were abandoning cars on the highway.
A normally 30 minute drive took me 12 hours.

Sadly... it's not.
One snowflake hits anywhere in Vancouver and it causes 19 car crashes.
I'm from Victoria. Lived there 42 years. It was humour for sure.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11120 posts
1080 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
-3 in Calgary is nothing. -3 in Vancouver is not nothing. I've lived in Calgary. I also grew up in the middle of BC. It's not a 1:1 comparison, due to moisture content in the air.

If you're in downtown Vancouver, like Granville and Robson, walk a few blocks north, towards the Seabus. You will feel the difference when you get close to the harbour.

As always, I've loving the snow here. It's still so light out at night :) .
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
1360 posts
108 upvotes
I'm stuck in Vic Aiport, my flight out yesterday was canceled, was rebooked for 8:30 that was canceled, now sitting waiting for 5:30 flight. And I need to be in WPG for meeting tomorrow (can't believe I said I want to go to WPG). But its just keeps snowing at the airport... Crazy, but as an Albertan I'm enjoying it lol

Winky
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2018
4521 posts
4755 upvotes
GVA and Victoria can't handle snow, I know this from experience. Bless their hearts for trying though.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6114 posts
3335 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 2:43 pm
GVA and Victoria can't handle snow, I know this from experience. Bless their hearts for trying though.
Victoria doesn't get enough of it for the city to be prepared as a whole. Nobody has winter tires (why would they). The ground is warm, so the roads become extremely icy like skating rinks. It is completely different trying to drive in it there than it is here.
Jul 23, 2007
410 posts
128 upvotes
Vancouver
Compared this to Ontario
Of my god just a piece of cake in gva
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17371 posts
2168 upvotes
Langley
Chickinvic wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 2:47 pm
Victoria doesn't get enough of it for the city to be prepared as a whole. Nobody has winter tires (why would they). The ground is warm, so the roads become extremely icy like skating rinks. It is completely different trying to drive in it there than it is here.
That's exactly it.

A lot of people who aren't from here don't really get it. The temperature hovers around zero, so we often get snow melting during the day and then freezing overnight. In some places, it will be clear and dry for miles and then over a hill, where it's a just a little cooler, the road is covered in ice. I've driven extensively in the interior of BC and in Alberta during the winter and it's far easier. The temperature drops below freezing and stays there for months... making driving a lot safer.

And some of the mountain passes are just insane... when warm moist air from the Pacific rises and freezes.... snow falls so much quicker than in Southern Ontario.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
8745 posts
1947 upvotes
It's mountain weather together with pacific air and artic air meeting.

It's 1000x more complicated and complex than the plain old boring winter AB to QC have. East coast have their own unique weather altough not really any mountains in the mix and the Atlantic is colder, so less complex as well.

And as other said, the wet under 0c is a lot different than the dry -30. -30 is still a lot crappier, but our 0 to your 0 is totally different
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2015
3883 posts
27209 upvotes
Entertainment provided for snowed in Victorians. LOL

Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12068 posts
1784 upvotes
City of Vancouver
There r hills here
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6114 posts
3335 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
i6s1 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 5:14 pm
That's exactly it.

A lot of people who aren't from here don't really get it. The temperature hovers around zero, so we often get snow melting during the day and then freezing overnight. In some places, it will be clear and dry for miles and then over a hill, where it's a just a little cooler, the road is covered in ice. I've driven extensively in the interior of BC and in Alberta during the winter and it's far easier. The temperature drops below freezing and stays there for months... making driving a lot safer.

And some of the mountain passes are just insane... when warm moist air from the Pacific rises and freezes.... snow falls so much quicker than in Southern Ontario.
Yes, being from Victoria I completely get it. I'll drive in anything here in Ottawa, but in Victoria it is seriously dangerous.