Automotive

Snow Tires - Who has them?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2013 2:08 am
Tags:
None

Poll: Do you have snow tires on your vehicle?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5655 posts
367 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Running my second season on my Hankook w409s. Running quite well. Driving on the back country roads, so much traction and breaking.
--
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7037 posts
845 upvotes
Alberta
blammy wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 6:35 pm
Live in Alberta for my first year (previously lived in Ontario for 20+ years) and I can drive fine without winters, leave more space between you and other cars and it does wonders...
How did you like all the snow and freezing rain in November 2012? Others were slipping and sliding around. My 4x4 with studded winter tires made it around no problemo.

Dave
Aug 26, 2009
200 posts
23 upvotes
DavidY wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 11:52 pm
How did you like all the snow and freezing rain in November 2012? Others were slipping and sliding around. My 4x4 with studded winter tires made it around no problemo.

Dave
Our company got brand new 2012 cars and I don't have many problems with slipping even though I drive at speed limit (faster than many on roads) and saw many cars in the ditch lol I drive for hours at a time, from building to building every single day (from Olds to Fort mac or just within Edmonton). Only once when I was in downtown some guy slammed on the break ahead of me because some guy was crossing out of nowhere (I hate the pedestrian crosswalks here) and I knew I couldn't stop in time so I turned into the parking spots by the curb :D
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4288 upvotes
m4gician wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 11:47 pm
Running my second season on my Hankook w409s. Running quite well. Driving on the back country roads, so much traction and breaking.
So they're disintegrating as you drive?

Nice.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10862 posts
3864 upvotes
Toronto
HandsomeRob wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 5:17 pm
Tire temp ranges:
Summer: 50c-07c.
All-Season: 30c-(-15c).
Winter: 7c-(-40c).

All seasons start to lose traction below 7c, there is little case for Winters driving around on plowed roads at 0 when snow doesn't even stick for 1/2 a month by 3 months. Perhaps for people that drive all day, or drive the back country roads.

Otherwise park it for the two weeks their is snow on the ground and otherwise you're gravy.
lol at no-seasons having arange from +30 to -15

maybe +20 to 0 at best.

No seasons below 0....no thanks
Apr 22, 2006
904 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto
FWD - Yes
AWD YES and YES !
I never had snow tires on my my AWD but I work up North now and after i spun out of control 2 weeks ago, I have Altimax tires on my Venza. Cant believe the difference it made while driving. With out them, Honestly, I would've been dead by now...atleast this week. (Driving Up North).Will never drive with out Snow tires again and to all who say that they dont need one coz they drive an AWD, watch this Video.Be safe out there...think about you and your family and dont take your eyes off the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... A3l3DyY9UE
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
3933 posts
749 upvotes
GTEH!
Will always drive with Winter tires in the Winter. They make a BIG difference in the cold dry/snowy/slushy/icy weather.
😎
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2011
2240 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
What snow do we get that you need snow tires, in the City ? If you people call 2-3 CM a storm, that is sad. All weather are fine, the occasional snow, meh.
Salt is the new snow have you looked around when there is snow ?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7037 posts
845 upvotes
Alberta
WildWolf wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 10:23 pm
What snow do we get that you need snow tires, in the City ? If you people call 2-3 CM a storm, that is sad. All weather are fine, the occasional snow, meh.
Salt is the new snow have you looked around when there is snow ?
They are called winter tires....not snow tires. They are for driving in temps lower than 7 deg C snow or no snow, ice or no ice, etc.

Dave
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2003
5156 posts
259 upvotes
Once again, didn't realize this poll was only for the centre of the universe that is Toronto.
This space for rent.
Dec 8, 2009
104 posts
8 upvotes
running 17" marangoni on mine and x ice2 17" again on my wifes suv
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2011
2240 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
DavidY wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 11:30 pm
They are called winter tires....not snow tires. They are for driving in temps lower than 7 deg C snow or no snow, ice or no ice, etc.

Dave
Semantics. Therefore if "winter tires" (better say that correctly, wouldn't want to offend anyone) are for temps lower then 7 deg C with no snow or ice, why use them if the temp is -8 with no snow or ICE ! :facepalm:
Oct 17, 2010
173 posts
10 upvotes
Kitchener
^ Because they perform better when the temperature is lower than 7 degrees Celsius?
Winters/Snow tires (doesn't matter what you call them they are tires specifically made for cold weather) they perform better than all seasons or summers in really cold temperatures to a point.
If it's like -40 degrees Celsius no tires will help you.
http://www.youtube.com/Shimmy
^ 250,000+ subscribers & 25+ million views
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14807 posts
1720 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
FWD Mini-van, FWD hatch, and AWD wagon in the family have winter tires. Uniroyal Tigerpaws on the van and Hankook iPike W409 on both cars.