Real Estate

Snowbirds with property in the U.S. could be able stay there an extra two months a year, on top of the 180 days allowed

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 11:37 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25643 posts
5818 upvotes
GTHA

Snowbirds with property in the U.S. could be able stay there an extra two months a year, on top of the 180 days allowed

Should this be in the travel forum?

As Trump tightens border, U.S. Congress bill would allow snowbirds to stay for an extra two months
from http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... two-months
15 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2642 posts
587 upvotes
Ottawa
Unless Canada's 180 day rule changed, the US bill would be irrelevant. And I doubt our rules would be modified, nor do I think they should.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7139 posts
428 upvotes
Is there insurance issues when snowbirds leave Canada for months? Meaning home insurance?
Oct 27, 2013
149 posts
30 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
I did not notice as many Canadian license plates in Florida when I was down the past two weeks. At $1.35 CAD, the USD is keeping Canadians home. Plus have you ever been in Florida from April to October?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3370 posts
1321 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
OttawaGardener wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 7:20 am
Unless Canada's 180 day rule changed, the US bill would be irrelevant. And I doubt our rules would be modified, nor do I think they should.
I agree. Canada sure shouldn't change the 180 day rule. I don't think Canadians should be on the hook for healthcare for people who are only here 4 months of the year (if they changed the rules). If you don't want to live here and participate in supporting our economy - then make it official and immigrate. We don't want you on the books when it is convenient for you to use the services.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
4339 posts
2100 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 4:32 pm
I agree. Canada sure shouldn't change the 180 day rule. I don't think Canadians should be on the hook for healthcare for people who are only here 4 months of the year (if they changed the rules). If you don't want to live here and participate in supporting our economy - then make it official and immigrate. We don't want you on the books when it is convenient for you to use the services.
Many of them would if the US would allow oldies to immigrate.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2642 posts
587 upvotes
Ottawa
Sanyo wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 8:00 pm
Many of them would if the US would allow oldies to immigrate.
Seriously? No one I know who winters in Florida wants to stay once the weather gets unbearably hot.

Also... health care! This is a life and death issue for many in the US, and a simple hip replacement or heart attack would bankrupt people. Health insurance is incredibly expensive and does not cover all costs.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2322 posts
518 upvotes
Newmarket
newby1983 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 3:27 pm
Plus have you ever been in Florida from April to October?
yes, in July, loved it.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2322 posts
518 upvotes
Newmarket
Chickinvic wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 4:32 pm
For me this isn't as straight forward, if someone worked and paid taxes in Canada for 40 years IMO they have earned the right to reap healthcare benefits in their retirement even if they stay in Canada for less than 6 months a year, but I look differently at others who have contributed very little over the years and would be entitled to the same benefit. And this isn't immigration issue, simple fact of how much you have contributed versus the benefit received.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5150 posts
659 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Homerhomer wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 8:36 am
For me this isn't as straight forward, if someone worked and paid taxes in Canada for 40 years IMO they have earned the right to reap healthcare benefits in their retirement even if they stay in Canada for less than 6 months a year, but I look differently at others who have contributed very little over the years and would be entitled to the same benefit. And this isn't immigration issue, simple fact of how much you have contributed versus the benefit received.
I agree. Considering they are still paying taxes after retirement as well, there certainly isn't any free ride just because you live outside the country for xx days.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2642 posts
587 upvotes
Ottawa
I'll point out that there are tax consequences too. Anyone thinking of staying longer in the US should inform themselves about the IRS residency rules. Of course the US would like Canadians to stay longer -- to spend their income and pay taxes.

I guess I just don't see the appeal -- risking health benefits (OHIP does not pay the amounts even if coverage is granted), the US exchange rate is high, there are nut with guns (especially in Florida), and of course, the possibility of having to pay US income taxes. I'll spend my vacation in Canada, or in Mexico or Cuba, which are certainly safer.
Oct 27, 2013
149 posts
30 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Homerhomer wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 8:31 am
yes, in July, loved it.
Your not the norm then. From a mathematical perspective. I'm sure you're a great person.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2015
1208 posts
706 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
It appears this has nothing to do with the requirements to avoid being considered a resident, for tax purposes. So, in essence, this could actually be a trap that may have very serious tax implications to canadians.
Andre Oliveira - Mortgage Agent
FSCO # 10428 - Mortgage Intelligence
BTW = I'm the former "Laptop-tech" member here. Just changed the username.
Apr 14, 2008
225 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
Homerhomer wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 8:31 am
yes, in July, loved it.
Yep, 2 weeks in July or August every year and it is awesome.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3129 posts
497 upvotes
To keep OHIP, myst live in ontario for 5 months.
To avoid paying US taxes, spend no more than 4 months

I would ditch OHIP and buy health coverage to avoid paying taxes in US or Canada altogether. Just spend extra 4 months in Europe/Caribbean and you are good.
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!