Expired Hot Deals

[Always] Snowblower Deal Watch Thread

Mar 14, 2005
879 posts
77 upvotes
[QUOTE]
I am also tempted by the toro electric 12Amp which seems to get amazing reviews for all types of snow falls; you just need a good quality extension cord.. 12 guage or thicker to run it.[/QUOTE]

I am looking at the Toro 1800 for my deck. Home depot has them for $349.

Any better pricing out there?

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor ... PartNumber
Mar 8, 2006
479 posts
61 upvotes
Montreal
First, Ariens is NOT the same company as Toro-Lawnboy.

Second, this is one stage snow blower. perfect for snow on your deck , walkway and even driveway But not for your EOD ( end of driveway ) or curb side on the street.

When the salt trucks and then after the city trucks pushes the salty snow in front of your driveway, this Honda or other 1 phase will burnt out in a few storms. That snow is full of slat and ice and it is too packed hard for any one phase.

I purchased last year a Ariens 724 with 7 OHV engine and it is the minimum for the front of my driveway ( Montreal ). I want to purchase a one phase for only the backyard and deck.

Ask any good salesman at a Small engine place and he or she will tell you never to purchase a one phase maybe if you use in Virginia.

Look for a two phases model from

Toro
Ariens
Simplicity

Do not purchase Craftsman models, these are the low end in snowblowers.

For more info check out the best forum on the internet for Snow Blowers:

http://www.opeonthenet.com/phpBB2/index.php
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1573 posts
92 upvotes
Collingwood
desmundo wrote:
Aug 26th, 2008 10:08 am
That's the difference between Toronto and the rest of Canada...not that its anything to boast about but we had almost twice as much snow in Ottawa as you did in Toronto...my snowblower could not throw high enough as my snowbanks were 8 feet tall...I have a 5.5 horsepower jobby and wish I dropped the extra bucks....
+1 This little thing would stop dead at the end of my drive most days
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
1168 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
I have a single-stage MTD model(4.5hp) 10+ years and still going strong. (I do need a new pull-string though).Most snowfalls can be removed by this type of machine. Of course heavy wet snow cannot be done. I bought this type of machine because I have a steep driveway and wanted something somewhat portable. I can fit the thing in my trunk.
Jul 23, 2003
829 posts
4 upvotes
Lindsay
great units..
RFD importer of 2007 Nissan Maxima..savings of 14k
Deal Addict
May 5, 2005
1566 posts
4 upvotes
R. Hill
G-Unit!! wrote:
Aug 26th, 2008 8:31 am
I saw 2 snowblowers at HD this past wk.
one was Ariens 624e for $950.
I know it's more expensive than this one but can someone comment on the quality? How does it compare with the Hondas??

http://www.ariens.com/products_snow/s_c ... rview.aspx
I have the Ariens 520e and it's an excellent machine. It gets through the heavy ice and snow with ease. It starts like a dream and is a powerful little machine. I strongly recommend them, but I understand that Honda's are excellent as well.
Nov 21, 2004
514 posts
16 upvotes
Can anyone comment on the Ariens 9 HP snowblower on sale at HD this coming wk for $899 ($250 off). Seems like a good deal??
thx.
Mar 8, 2006
479 posts
61 upvotes
Montreal
I recommend the Ariens 9hp.

It is the 924 Classic?

I have the 724 form 2006 and I like the quality of the build and in the long run parts are very easy to get from Ariens.

The snowking engines are good also.

I find my 7 hp is a bit weak for EOD in Montreal but 9 hp would be excellent.

That is a good price also. I paid my 724 last year, $ 799.99.

Intravino
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10175 posts
500 upvotes
I have a 10.5HP and I barely got through last winter. This won't cut it unless you are in a big city and just plowing a path from house to sidewalk.
Nov 21, 2004
514 posts
16 upvotes
No, it's the 927 LE http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor ... PartNumber.

Surprisingly, it's cheaper than HD (USA) after the discount. Rarely see that around.

Intravino - do you find it difficult to service Ariens? I've been reading forums here and there saying Toro is much better for servicing since there are many retail stores around. Thoughts?

thx
Nov 21, 2004
514 posts
16 upvotes
Feneant wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2008 4:51 pm
I have a 10.5HP and I barely got through last winter. This won't cut it unless you are in a big city and just plowing a path from house to sidewalk.
Really?? I have an 8-car driveway (no sidewalk). I would have thought that a 9HP would do the job.

Feneant - how much space do you have to shovel (if you don't mind me asking)?
Sep 20, 2005
404 posts
12 upvotes
G-Unit!! wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2008 4:17 pm
Can anyone comment on the Ariens 9 HP snowblower on sale at HD this coming wk for $899 ($250 off). Seems like a good deal??
thx.
When does the sale commence?
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4349 posts
937 upvotes
Regina
Feneant wrote:
I have a pair of pythons and I barely got through last winter :cheesygri
Of all the stuff I buy when looking at this site the last thing I need is a snowblower, I will stick to the shovel and exercise being 33, but for those with heart conditions, etc and a lot older then go for it and get one
[OP]
Apr 4, 2003
981 posts
98 upvotes
Feneant wrote:
What brand is your snow blower?
Nov 22, 2005
180 posts
2 upvotes
i have the ariens 722, 7 hp single stage and it has been great for toronto winters. it can handle deeper snow and eod but sometimes you need to carve off sections at a time...not a big deal as this only happens a few times a year. a 2 stage is nice if you are consistently getting lots of snow, especially wet, but i like the 2 stage b/c it is easy to manuvure i.e. i can get my driveway done in half the time as a 2 stage for most snowfalls and the size i.e. slightly larger than and lawnmover and doesnt take much space in my garage.

when i was buying it really came down to toro, honda and ariens. i chose the ariens b/c it was 2 more hp for the same price as a 5hp toro. it a great machine but would have no hesitation buying the toro or honda. from what i recal the honda are 4 cycle vs 2 cycle.