Tags:
None
11 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1528 posts
325 upvotes
Grimsby
From what I could see in the video your exhaust chute was jammed due to this particular snowfall being very wet and heavy. Try clearing say a third or half width when the snow is so wet, you may still need to stop the machine and clear the chute occasionally. Next time when hopefully it will be a lighter snow and you'll have no issues.
Apr 5, 2010
527 posts
246 upvotes
Mississauga
Yes but it literally went a foot before being stuck and then I wasn't able to get it going as snow was hard and unclearable. Thought might be the engine being weak and unable to pull/push out the snow
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1119 posts
92 upvotes
Ajax
Slow down the ground speed.
Early season, wet snow, is always a pain to move through a snow blower.
Oh boy, Buffalo testicles!
Jan 7, 2006
763 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
A single stage machine would suit this wet heavy snow better, I cleared my driveway without issue yesterday without issue using a single stage Toro.

I was a believer for years that a 2 stage machine was superior, but ever since I got the Toro single stage, I've realized you use a single stage more often than not, and it's much faster at doing it if you're not in northern areas or a snowbelt.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
dealixious wrote: Took my snowblower out to clean the driveway and though auger works...the snow is not clearing. Any thoughts how to fix. Thanks!

https://jmp.sh/v/qgfUlvXa4T75pqcRV4hy
Looks to me that there's not enough snow for the blower to work properly.

You need about 4"-6" minimum depth for the two stage to flow properly.

Use a shovel to push all the snow into a deep long row that's 6" deep and as wide as the blower. I think you'll find it will work a lot better
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2004
1220 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
auger belt slipping?
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14472 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Lol at this thead. Turns into "get a single stage. They are the best things everrrrrrrrrr"

From the video it looks like the chute is blocked....clear that out and try again. Given that it looks like pretty wet snow it may just be blocked. There's easily enough snow on the ground in this video for this machine to work properly. And as someone mentioned if clearing the chute doesn't work it's possible the belts need looking at. There literally zero chance that "the engine is weak".

Once the snow is clear from the unit take a look to see if the impeller that throws the snow up the chute is even spinning when you engage the auger. If both auger and the impeller are spinning, it still could be an issue that the belt on the impeller is slipping went there's any resistance in the chute.

A quick look at this video gives you an idea of how the belt systems in a two stage work.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
Could also be that the auger belt is old and slipping but, yeah, heavy wet snow clogs the chute easily.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7220 posts
5993 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: Could also be that the auger belt is old and slipping but, yeah, heavy wet snow clogs the chute easily.
I bought a 5 hp Toro 21" 2 stage circa 1987 at a contents sale for $250 in the summer (years ago) - I tested it and of course in July everything worked fine.
Fast forward to winter - first snowfall - blower wouldn't throw snow.
I had to replace the auger belt that was stretched and slipping.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
Make sure none of your sheer pins are broken

That was the case with my blower this past week. A sheer pin broke and my auger wasn't working correctly.
Last edited by tebore on Nov 18th, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
Broken sheer pin? That doesn't augur well...

(sorry)
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)