Home & Garden

Snowblower Poor Throwing ~ More cc / hp needed??

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2017 7:57 pm
[OP]
Apr 29, 2010
908 posts
66 upvotes
London

Snowblower Poor Throwing ~ More cc / hp needed??

I recently purchased a Troy-Bilt 26" 243cc snowthrower. It does a decent job handling the snow but for the last 2 uses it has had difficulty with the packing snow.

The snowthrower has never really thrown the light snow too far (perhaps 15 ft max) but with this heavier packing snow and slush the distance is maximum 3 feet or worse it dribbles and clogs. I can understand this kind of dense, heavy snow is tough to throw but is there a solution to stopping the clogging AND getting much better throwing distance...

Question:

1. Does a higher cc / hp engine throw this heavier snow much farther? Does increasing the cc/hp have a direct correlation to the impeller's throwing distance?

2. Toro makes snowblowers with anti-clog technology, they claim. Has anyone tried the snowblower in heavy wet snow to see if this is true. How is the distance throwing on a 255cc Toro snowblower?

3. Ariens has some faster impeller technology with their SHO line. Not to mention they have more snowblowers with higher CCs. Would you recommend an Ariens Platinum 24 SHO to solve this clogging and throwing problem?

Thanks
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7070 posts
3261 upvotes
Kootenays
I don't have experience with the models you've mentioned, but certainly more cc/hp means a longer throw. I have a couple of hours of work at my small resort every time it snows and I use an 11.5 hp 29" model. It will throw 15-20' usually. Wet snow throws a much shorter distance and really wet snow will dribble out or clog. Try to keep the blades and chute as clear as possible. When it's wet snow, I carry an 18" or so stick and regularly clear out the clinging snow.

You can also do half passes when it's really wet so you don't overload the machine.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2004
1203 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
smacd wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 4:37 pm
I don't have experience with the models you've mentioned, but certainly more cc/hp means a longer throw. I have a couple of hours of work at my small resort every time it snows and I use an 11.5 hp 29" model. It will throw 15-20' usually. Wet snow throws a much shorter distance and really wet snow will dribble out or clog. Try to keep the blades and chute as clear as possible. When it's wet snow, I carry an 18" or so stick and regularly clear out the clinging snow.

You can also do half passes when it's really wet so you don't overload the machine.
Agree with this.

This is a fairly new machine OP? I replaced the auger belt on my Ariens last winter, did that ever make a difference in the load it could handle, and in the distance it could throw the snow. But if it's a relatively new machine, doubt this is the issue.

A lot of my neighbors often struggle with the wet heavy stuff at the end of the driveway.. it's a lot for a snowblower to get through. Mine is overkill most of the time, but it's a beast when it needs to be.

I don't think any special fancy technologies are the key.. if it's too much load for the machine to handle, it's too much. The only solution in my opinion is more power! My machine is ~10 years old and is a true workhorse.
Dec 18, 2007
194 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa
There is a mod you can do to the 2nd stage to increase your throwing distance.

See here

I did something vary similar but used pieces of leather belt instead of thick rubber... works facken awesome ...30 foot arc every time
{EDIT}

Swhweet found my old photos!
Here is my belt mod to the auger
Jul 20, 2012
617 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
Check the shear pin. I had the same problem. I found one of two shear pins broken.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1930 posts
901 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Jerico wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 6:58 pm
The HP is meaningless if the flywheel (that does the throwing) isn't geared right. It should be spinning very fast compared to the auger
This. If they put to large a pulley on the auger, then its not going to spin it fast enough. That's not really a simple thing to test or fix though. You can't really try and over rev the motor to get it spinning faster. You might try using it in a higher gear to get the machine moving faster
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2321 posts
616 upvotes
Windsor
I'd presume you've tried going slower, or half passes to help. 15' being the best it can do sounds like a slow-ish 2nd stage speed, but it shouldn't bog down too bad; have you ever had the machine tuned up? Just because it's running, doesn't mean you're getting all of the power out of it; when you're talking about a (somewhere around) 7HP engine, 1 HP loss could be significant.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2169 posts
739 upvotes
Mississauga
Brian71 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 9:27 pm
Check the shear pin. I had the same problem. I found one of two shear pins broken.
Yes, happened to mine too. I think one shear pin broke last year because the throw had been very poor. The shaft still had friction that it sort still spun with no snow or when I move slowly with a bit of snow.

I was using it this winter and someone walking by across the street keep point at my snowblower. He eventually came over and explained my auger was not spinning all the way when packed with snow. He operated my snow blower while I watched and then I noticed it.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14070 posts
3441 upvotes
London
1) loose belt
2) snow is not deep enough. 2 stage blowers don't work well if the isn't a high enough volume for the impeller to throw. Maybe test with snow a min 4-5" depth and see if distance improves
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16514 posts
2194 upvotes
rosario99 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 4:26 pm
The snowthrower has never really thrown the light snow too far (perhaps 15 ft max) but with this heavier packing snow and slush the distance is maximum 3 feet or worse it dribbles and clogs. I can understand this kind of dense, heavy snow is tough to throw but is there a solution to stopping the clogging AND getting much better throwing distance...
I think something is wrong with the unit ... I have a one-stage Toro and it can throw 15 feet easily, maybe 10 feet if it's heavy.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6222 posts
874 upvotes
My Sears blower is about 15 years old. Normally it can throw snow 20+ feet without difficulty. A few weeks ago when I was using it there was a bunch of very wet slush under the show and when that started getting scooped up my throwing distance dropped to about 4 feet. Wet slush is extremely dense and heavy and it is hard to throw. If you want to judge the throwing distance on your blower do it with dry cold snow. Don't expect to get much distance with wet snow. The wetter it is the shorter the distance.