• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2014 3:17 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 28, 2011
375 posts
34 upvotes
Where to get the 50$ coupon?
I have a long and deep concrete driveway. Should I go for a single stage or a dual stage snow blower?

Barrels wrote:
Aug 20th, 2012 2:23 am
$499 with 50 buck off coupon

CRAFTSMAN®/MD 24'' 179cc Dual Stage Snow Blower
http://www.sears.ca/product/craftsman-m ... 599?ptag=2

has near 4 out of 5 stars rating on Sears Us site with 183 reviews
http://www.mysears.com/Craftsman-24-quo ... ab=reviews

3.89 of 5 (by 183 reviewers)
Rating Summary | 78% of reviewers recommend (141 out of 183)
Oct 8, 2010
4 posts
I live in Halifax and have a small asphalt driveway. The problem is that the driveway has a short but relatively steep incline from the road. Would a single stage be able to drive up this incline? Any advice is appreciated!
Aug 2, 2007
227 posts
41 upvotes
overthemountain wrote:
Sep 6th, 2012 8:52 am
I live in Halifax and have a small asphalt driveway. The problem is that the driveway has a short but relatively steep incline from the road. Would a single stage be able to drive up this incline? Any advice is appreciated!

If you are looking to push your snow blower up the incline then get the single stage, but if you want the machine to do forward movement with little effort then buy the 2 stage snow blower. A single stage will not go through these windrows in my neighborhood.http://forums.redflagdeals.com/snowblow ... st12409538
Jan 18, 2012
110 posts
107 upvotes
Mississauga
Home Depot had some good deals when I bought a big one 2 years ago, but used it only twice with the recent warm winters. ehh
Jun 15, 2011
37994 posts
5468 upvotes
Richmond Hill
As a current owner/getting suggestions, tips from last year's thread, I would recommend the Sno Tek Ariens brand. Live in the GTA and have a big driveway that fits 4 cars and the Sno Tek 24" dual stage does wonders.

Just saying. I snagged this bad boy when it was on sale at Home Depot in October/November for $549.99 + taxes.
canabiz wrote:
Aug 17th, 2012 6:28 pm
Never too early to get a head start on a snowblower/snowthrower.

We just moved into a detached home and with a bigger driveway (can park 4 cars), we have decided to save my back and look for a snowblower/snowthrower. Our budget is $800, considering how much we will be using it, or lack thereof, I think that's a fair #.

I would like to get a gas unit (as opposed to electric) and preferably dual-stage (as opposed to single stage). I have also looked at buying from the States and/or having the unit shipped to an UPS store near the border but I don't have a pick-up truck or know people who do so it will be quite a hassle to haul it back home.

To get things started, I would like your feedback on a couple of these puppies.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/snotek- ... RRWidgetID

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... opnav=&s=1
As I've mentioned in my earlier post, the Sno Tek is amazing. I can't vouch for the Costco one. The Sno Tek has never failed on me for the 1 season of winter I've had it for. It was easy to assemble. The electric start works perfectly fine BUT make sure you get the right extension cord for it that fits properly. The one I have has the remote deflector control (where I use a lever to adjust the chute's angle for it to throw the snow). I have this one here: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/sno-tek ... eed/918481

Of course that's $799.99 but I did get it for a steal for $549.99. If you don't care about the remote deflector control and you don't mind manually adjusting the chute angle then the model for $599.99 works like a charm.

Just few things to note: I had to clean the spark plug after using the snow blower twice. I thought the snow blower failed on me but lo and behold it was a spark plug issue. So just make sure you clean it after couple of times to ensure it works perfectly. Also you need to rust proof the bad boy, mine started rusting and its a good thing I applied the rust proof spray and it was fine afterwards.

Good luck on your search!
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
853 posts
131 upvotes
Blainville
Is it possible that the new snowtek are really underpowered compared to last year?

I saw a 20" model with only 136cc at home depot this weekend and the 28" is only 205cc, I tought it was 250cc before, I might be wrong...
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1093 posts
203 upvotes
Calgary
I bought the snowjoe last year from costco, I believe it was about $175, similar to this but red with a light http://www.snowjoe.com/Snow-Joe-Ultra-1 ... ower-SJ620
I was actually very impressed with it. My driveway is about 40' long and it worked like a charm in any depth of snow. I would just go over and quickly clean up with the shovel as I wasn't expecting it to go down to the driveway. That craftsman one looks similar but it would definitely be nice to have the gas model over having to drag a cable around all that way. I might take a look at it myself.
Oct 7, 2010
31 posts
5 upvotes
Our Toronto driveway is about 100'x20' fits 2 cars wide by 4 deep. Shared machines with the neighbor for years first an Ariens then a Toro single. A lot of work for either with a fair amount of hand shoveling for the bank at the road or if very wet snow. Hard to find parts for the Ariens. Bought a dual stage Yardworks used and its a breeze to do just about anything now. I see no reason to fight with a single stage blower for a $150 savings over a small dual stage.

If we get home in the dark after a weekend away its no problem to clear the drive, same early morning after a big storm. Not a big chore. Its time to replace the Yardworks now and it'll be with something very similar.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
16784 posts
3109 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
I just got the Amazon deal for the $120 Worx 18" 13A electric. Usually I'm just fine with shoveling even though I've got a really long interlock paver driveway (well for Toronto standards) I dunno, maybe I could park like 6 cars comfortably. The odd time it snows more than a foot I'll just do it twice, big deal... no way I'm spending $800 on a snow blower living in the city.
Jun 30, 2007
185 posts
32 upvotes
Halifax
OK first off lets start with the ultimate home snow blower... http://www.gizmag.com/for-the-man-with- ... ower/4889/
I have had an Ariens for 11.5 hp deluxe model for 5 years now and it works amazingly. I always encourage people to buy at least 9hp otherwise it will struggle in the wet snow, I am impatient and don't like slowing down while I move snow. The deal breaker for me between single and dual stage was the ability to handle the heavy stuff the plow pushes in. Single stage will have a real hard time with this stuff and lets face it this is the back breaking stuff.
Ariens or Toro will bring you years of snowblowing fun, properly taken care of you should get 10+ years out of it. Craftsman have always been quirky and somewhat problematic from my experience and how long before Sears closes up shop? They are already closing out a few departments in their stores.
Jun 30, 2007
185 posts
32 upvotes
Halifax
Gregw wrote:
Sep 17th, 2012 11:50 am
Our Toronto driveway is about 100'x20' fits 2 cars wide by 4 deep. Shared machines with the neighbor for years first an Ariens then a Toro single. A lot of work for either with a fair amount of hand shoveling for the bank at the road or if very wet snow. Hard to find parts for the Ariens. Bought a dual stage Yardworks used and its a breeze to do just about anything now. I see no reason to fight with a single stage blower for a $150 savings over a small dual stage.

If we get home in the dark after a weekend away its no problem to clear the drive, same early morning after a big storm. Not a big chore. Its time to replace the Yardworks now and it'll be with something very similar.
Wow parts are easy to get in Halifax, NS. Black Diamond and almost all of our small engine shops carry belts, keys, shear pins etc for the Ariens plus the motors are briggs and straton or tecumseh so those parts are common. Home depot even carry parts.
× < >