[Costco] Snowblower / Snowthrower Deal Watch thread 2012/2013

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2014 3:17 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 7, 2011
112 posts
19 upvotes
I got Sno-Tek 2-Stage 24 in. 120V 136cc Gas Snow Blower yesterday Sep 2012. HomeDepot.ca don't tell online about the power of this blower which is 136cc for 599/-,
Next model fro 24 in. is 208cc. for 799/-.

This is my 1st snow blower & drive way is longer in length like 3 sedans can fit and width is 2 sedans can fit. Last year my neighbors helped me. But this time I dont want to a leech.

I am just wondering: if 136cc is good enough?

There is another model in HomeDepot.ca 20in. for 599/- as well.
Suggestion / Advice guys.
Jan 1, 2008
853 posts
131 upvotes
Blainville
abhishekmenon84 wrote:
Sep 20th, 2012 11:59 am
I got Sno-Tek 2-Stage 24 in. 120V 136cc Gas Snow Blower yesterday Sep 2012. HomeDepot.ca don't tell online about the power of this blower which is 136cc for 599/-,

This is my 1st snow blower & drive way is longer in length like 3 sedans can fit and width is 2 sedans can fit. Last year my neighbors helped me. But this time I dont want to a leech.

Yes it is, as long as you do not have wet snow, then it won't be enough.

My 250cc deluxe 28 is barely enough when it's wet snow, it throw at 6 foot instead of 40 when it's wet.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
1329 posts
119 upvotes
Fredericton
shingor6 wrote:
Sep 20th, 2012 12:15 pm
Yes it is, as long as you do not have wet snow, then it won't be enough.

My 250cc deluxe 28 is barely enough when it's wet snow, it throw at 6 foot instead of 40 when it's wet.
Same. There's only so much you can do if the snow is wet.
Dec 3, 2008
348 posts
32 upvotes
Hamilton
this was posted earlier seems like a better deal more power when you really need it went to homedepot site the 599 one is 208cc which is great
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/snotek- ... dth/918480

http://www.sears.ca/product/craftsman-m ... 599?ptag=2
abhishekmenon84 wrote:

kevv
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
3584 posts
1541 upvotes
Kitchener
I really have to put my $0.02 in here.......

Honestly, I have used a few different kinds of blowers, from some very small electrics to 10+HP ones with individual drive wheel control.

My opinion is that the Toro 221QR I run is the best of the bunch I have ever used. Powerful (2-stroke) and quick......pretty much drags me behind it. With 4" of snow fall, I can do my quad car driveway (2 cars x 2 cars) in about 5 to 7 minutes. Easy to start and you don't have to struggle with it (80 lbs weight). This being said, I wouldn't recommend it to someone who can't control it (a senior or a young teen) as you really DO have to hold it back since it's so powerful. I often jog along behind this thing.

I'm not sure about the other single stages (I wouldn't personally trust them......maybe if it's a Honda $$$ model), but the Toro makes short work of even wet snow.

My dad has a Sno-Tek, which takes at LEAST twice as long to plow the driveway with, and requires a bit of manhandling to turn it around the corners. You can find yourself sore the next day from using muscles you didn't know you had.
Sep 9, 2012
1 posts
LONDON
abhishekmenon84 wrote:

I bought one of the 136`s thinking it was the 208cc. Brought it back to HD a few days later as I couldn`t stand to think I had been duped and had bought such a small engine. Unfortunately the HD website is very cryptic and does not describe in full detail what it is you`re purchasing. It turns out that the 2 machines are absolutely IDENTICAL except for the little label at the very bottom of the engine that says `136.
I did the math and it turns out this 2 stage blower is about 4HP. That is extremely low - so my recommendation is to go at least a bit higher.
I felt so gipped with the lack of HP, that I went out and bought the 28 inch 357cc Craftsman blower on sale instead...lol...I don`t care how wet the snow is, I`ll be throwing it 40 feet!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9436 posts
2787 upvotes
Ottawa
If you are going to buy the blower at HomeDepot, follow them on Twitter to get a 10% discount coupon.

I have not heard much about Lowe's and Rona, do they typically have good sales for blowers?
Please contact for $-saving tips prior to purchasing Mattamy/Monarch homes in Ottawa.
Jun 15, 2011
37998 posts
5468 upvotes
Richmond Hill
canabiz wrote:
Sep 21st, 2012 9:39 pm
If you are going to buy the blower at HomeDepot, follow them on Twitter to get a 10% discount coupon.

I have not heard much about Lowe's and Rona, do they typically have good sales for blowers?
That 10% only apply to Snowblowers? How does one get the 10% off?
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Jun 28, 2003
9436 posts
2787 upvotes
Ottawa
djemzine wrote:
Sep 21st, 2012 11:37 pm
That 10% only apply to Snowblowers? How does one get the 10% off?
If you have a Twitter account (if you don't have one, certainly open one), follow Home Depot Canada and they will send you a 10% coupon in your email. I believe the coupon is applicable to any item in the store or on-line but I am not 100% certain as I have yet to receive the coupon myself.

Wait a few days and if you don't receive anything in your email (check your Spam folder as well), then tweet a reply to Home Depot Canada with your email address and they will look into that. They are certainly getting a lot of inquiries about this so give them a couple of days.

I followed them last Thursday and have not seen anything yet so will tweet them early next week. Good luck! Every little bit of savings helps!

P.S: That Sears clearance model on the 1st page is no longer available. I was at Costco yesterday and they have a 24" dual-stage electric start Poulan Pro for $699.99, i believe it's 250cc, best to check your local Costco as the website doesn't show this.
Please contact for $-saving tips prior to purchasing Mattamy/Monarch homes in Ottawa.
Nov 10, 2009
112 posts
29 upvotes
I just found this one here at Sears: http://www.sears.ca/product/craftsman-m ... 1BH55TG599
$949.99 from $1499.99 - and with coupon code "941612014" you can knock another $50 off the price.

I have this sitting open in my browser window, ready to pull the trigger, but I'm still torn between this one and the 28" Poulin Model at Costco.
Dec 26, 2004
330 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
IntrepidRT wrote:
Sep 20th, 2012 12:38 pm
I really have to put my $0.02 in here.......

Honestly, I have used a few different kinds of blowers, from some very small electrics to 10+HP ones with individual drive wheel control.

My opinion is that the Toro 221QR I run is the best of the bunch I have ever used. Powerful (2-stroke) and quick......pretty much drags me behind it. With 4" of snow fall, I can do my quad car driveway (2 cars x 2 cars) in about 5 to 7 minutes. Easy to start and you don't have to struggle with it (80 lbs weight). This being said, I wouldn't recommend it to someone who can't control it (a senior or a young teen) as you really DO have to hold it back since it's so powerful. I often jog along behind this thing.

I'm not sure about the other single stages (I wouldn't personally trust them......maybe if it's a Honda $$$ model), but the Toro makes short work of even wet snow.

My dad has a Sno-Tek, which takes at LEAST twice as long to plow the driveway with, and requires a bit of manhandling to turn it around the corners. You can find yourself sore the next day from using muscles you didn't know you had.
I'm with you. Single stage all the way. Small, light, easy to store, easy to maintain, less $$$. I'm in Toronto and we barely had to bust out our snowblower last year .. it's a Honda single stage and I've heard good things about the Toro two strokes as well.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
1001 posts
84 upvotes
Ontario
Bought this one last year when it was on sale for $599:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/sno-tek ... eed/918481

Absolutely love it and wished I could've used it more... We live in a little cul-de-sac and I usually got our driveway done so quickly that I went around to the other driveways that hadn't shovelled/blown yet, and did them too (about 5-6 driveways big enough to hold 2-4 cars). Back inside within 45 minutes on average.

If this one goes down to $599 again, I seriously encourage people to pick it up.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2002
1177 posts
8 upvotes
I defn went overkill with a 30" ariens 2 seasons ago, but man is it nice and it turns some heads :P

Go 24" or 28" ariens. Only other brands I'd consider is Honda and Toro
Dec 26, 2004
330 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
DISH wrote:
Sep 26th, 2012 10:23 am
Only other brands I'd consider is Honda and Toro
I agree that it's wise to go with trusted brands. I think people underestimate the importance of parts availability down the road.
× < >