[Costco] Snowblower / Snowthrower Deal Watch thread 2012/2013

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2014 3:17 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 31, 2005
38 posts
3 upvotes
any thoughts on electric blowers? most of the ones suggested are gas ones.

can electric ones take care of snowbanks and wet snow? any good recommendations? probably too late in the season to snag one up now though...
Apr 6, 2007
125 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
hobbyshop wrote:
Mar 10th, 2013 8:00 pm
any thoughts on electric blowers? most of the ones suggested are gas ones.

can electric ones take care of snowbanks and wet snow? any good recommendations? probably too late in the season to snag one up now though...
My suggestion is, if you are looking for a snowblower to handle snowbanks and wet snow, get a gas blower. Depending on where you live and how much snow you get, a single stage blower (gas) should get through most snowbanks. However if you are areas with heavy snow fall or lots of wet snow, you should definitely consider a two-stage blower. I would recommend the electric one only to people that have difficulties lifting a shovel for the normal snow removal activities. snow banks would definitely proof to be difficult, if not impossible, for electric blowers.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2005
4826 posts
566 upvotes
My 3 month old snotek has been performing like a charm, i've sure been using it lots lately, didn't think i would but oh well.
Dec 1, 2007
93 posts
5 upvotes
Just bought a honda 928 today....the Ariens Deluxe 28 just can't push through banks like a Honda can with tracks. Just a super machine to run, used it a for a bit today and could not be more impressed. I actually just waned the 724 but the local shop just had the 928 or a single stage 520 so didn't have a choice.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2007
1746 posts
286 upvotes
Toronto & north …
mr_tiggy wrote:
Mar 28th, 2013 2:31 am
Just bought a honda 928 today....the Ariens Deluxe 28 just can't push through banks like a Honda can with tracks. Just a super machine to run, used it a for a bit today and could not be more impressed. I actually just waned the 724 but the local shop just had the 928 or a single stage 520 so didn't have a choice.
Just curious (as a Deluxe 28 owner), would you say it is a case of Honda > Ariens or tracks > tires or a little of both?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9782 posts
2945 upvotes
Ottawa
Hey guys now that the worst is over (knock on wood!), do you guys run the blower out of gas or do you simply add fuel stabilizer before putting it away?

My colleague did neither and it cost him $50 this year for a new carburetor (He bought it new last year). I always run my lawnmower to the last drop but right now I have about half a tank for the snowblower. If there was another snowstorm for Ottawa, that would take care of it but I doubt it!

Thanks and hope you guys enjoyed using your blowers this year. I know I did! Best (well maybe second-best after our home) purchase of 2012, no doubt about that!
[removed]
Dec 1, 2007
93 posts
5 upvotes
As far as I can tell from the 5hrs I have on the Honda it is Honda> Ariens. The hydrostatic trans is awesome and the joystick for the chute control is great. The tracks come in very handy for dealing with large banks(cuts them down in layers). Though if you do a lot of turning or have tight places to turn the tracks are not for you. I think honda's chew so well through hard packed snow, aside from the tracks, is the auger appears to be a little more exposed and the metal feet for height are behind the housing instead on the side. Don't get me wrong I really like the Ariens but for the heavy duty banks I am dealing with this year the Honda is the only way to go.
Mar 21, 2006
477 posts
55 upvotes
Thornhill
canabiz wrote:
Mar 29th, 2013 9:39 pm
Hey guys now that the worst is over (knock on wood!), do you guys run the blower out of gas or do you simply add fuel stabilizer before putting it away?

My colleague did neither and it cost him $50 this year for a new carburetor (He bought it new last year). I always run my lawnmower to the last drop but right now I have about half a tank for the snowblower. If there was another snowstorm for Ottawa, that would take care of it but I doubt it!

Thanks and hope you guys enjoyed using your blowers this year. I know I did! Best (well maybe second-best after our home) purchase of 2012, no doubt about that!
I run mine dry (for the past 5 years) and then do an end of season oil change using synthetic oil.
Dolfan
- The opinions stated above are mine personally and don't necessarily represent my employer in any way, shape or form.

Active BST Postings: None
Apr 6, 2007
125 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
mr_tiggy wrote:
Mar 29th, 2013 11:21 pm
As far as I can tell from the 5hrs I have on the Honda it is Honda> Ariens. The hydrostatic trans is awesome and the joystick for the chute control is great. The tracks come in very handy for dealing with large banks(cuts them down in layers). Though if you do a lot of turning or have tight places to turn the tracks are not for you. I think honda's chew so well through hard packed snow, aside from the tracks, is the auger appears to be a little more exposed and the metal feet for height are behind the housing instead on the side. Don't get me wrong I really like the Ariens but for the heavy duty banks I am dealing with this year the Honda is the only way to go.
Dolfan-Neil wrote:
Mar 30th, 2013 7:39 am
I run mine dry (for the past 5 years) and then do an end of season oil change using synthetic oil.

Running dry is probably your best solution, with or without stabilizers. However, I do want to point out that putting fuel stabilizer into your gasoline storage container BEFORE your pour your gasoline into your machines is probably a better way to manage your fuel. Gasoline is usually good for storage for only 30 days without stabilizers (of course depending on lots of factors like heat and oxygen level). Anyways, I always put stabilizers in the fuel storage container soon after I fuel up at the gas station.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9782 posts
2945 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks guys, I ended up draining the snowblower using the old-fashioned way e.g. siphoning. I put some stabilizer in as I was not able to completely drain everything.

I then filled up the lawnmower and the bad boy starts right away (good ol' MTD - Made in Canada!) and put the rest in the car.
[removed]
Oct 25, 2009
109 posts
27 upvotes
hmmm, over 5 years i never drained fuel from mine after winter, and it's been working fine... is it really bad not to drain fuel ?
Nov 7, 2007
882 posts
714 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
dpwr wrote:
Apr 7th, 2013 12:37 pm
hmmm, over 5 years i never drained fuel from mine after winter, and it's been working fine... is it really bad not to drain fuel ?
Yes. The carburetor can get gunked up if the same gas sits in it too long. Best thing is to run the motor until it stops, burning all the gas that is in the carberator.
I've had this happen to a grass trimmer, had to have the carb rebuilt.
Mar 21, 2006
477 posts
55 upvotes
Thornhill
Yesterday was end of season maintenance day for me. Ran the gas out of both my machine and my father in laws and then did oil changes on them both. Put them away and reconfigured my garage for summer use.
Dolfan
- The opinions stated above are mine personally and don't necessarily represent my employer in any way, shape or form.

Active BST Postings: None
Oct 27, 2002
440 posts
5 upvotes
Markham
For those of you trying to get AMSOIL Saber Professional oil for your 2-stroke snowblower, note that Mystik Sea and Snow oil is an alternative. The Mystik S&S carries the ISO EGD, JASO FD and API TC certifications and is stocked at Canadian Tire. I just picked up a liter today for $5.59 before tax - good deal IMO. I'm trying to cancel an order I put in for the AMSOIL Saber Pro at $20 after S&H and tax.

Legend ZX2SR is supposed to be the best, but for a snowblower I doubt it really matters too much as long it has ISO EGC/EGD or JASO FC/FD.
Heatware

PM me for e-mail