Snowblower Storage: How to store in garage with cars

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2018 4:34 pm
[OP]
Oct 14, 2017
353 posts
308 upvotes

Snowblower Storage: How to store in garage with cars

Hi - I'm struggling to figure out how to store my Briggs & Stratton 1696614 in the garage while keeping my cars parked in it. I don't have a shed so I have to keep my lawn mower in it too. Any suggestions? I'm attaching a picture of my front wall. I'm open to creating shelves or platforms (I'm a handyman).

Ideally I would want to keep in an accessible place so I can pull it out easily to clear up the snow during the winter.

Thanks!
Images
  • upload.jpg
Last edited by xtrmDeals on Oct 30th, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
54 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13748 posts
3159 upvotes
London
This is one of the problems with 2 stage machines - how do I store it so it will be handy when needed but out of the way?

Is this a double garage with 1 big door or two smaller doors?
[OP]
Oct 14, 2017
353 posts
308 upvotes
It's a double car garage with both cars parked inside
Feb 20, 2017
279 posts
86 upvotes
Barrie, ON
xtrmDeals wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 12:10 pm
Unfortunately I keep one of our cars parked outside due to this issue, unless you got a wide area and you can park the cars as back as far as possible there's not a great solution, I then snow blow around the one car pull it onto the road and finish the driveway. Next home I purchase will definitely have a 3+ car garage even if the house is smaller.
[OP]
Oct 14, 2017
353 posts
308 upvotes
See the attached pics (I pulled out one car). Hardly enough room on the side. First world problems!
Images
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
Jan 13, 2007
371 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
'Tis indeed a first world problem! And the very reason why I opted not to buy a snowblower. IMO, it's virtually impossible to stow away both a snowblower and a lawn mower in the garage unless you dedicate a full parking space for those items. They just take way too much space and they weigh too much to be able to store on an upper mezzanine in the garage either.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1843 posts
838 upvotes
Alliston, ON
If you cleaned up that back wall, you should be able to fit the lawnmower in there, you might have to fold the handle down or even remove if possible. The snowblower should fit between the 2 cars if you back one in like you do and pull the other one in... Both will have to stay tight to the walls. Et any passengers out before pulling in
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2005
1817 posts
168 upvotes
Exactly the reason why I just suck it up and use a shovel. I refuse to park my vehicle outdoors. Doesn't make any sense why I need to suffer and get into a cold car in the morning.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
41975 posts
2780 upvotes
Richmond Hill
It's more of a problem with developers putting in smaller and smaller garages. It's not uncommon nowadays to have garages barely wider than the width of the garage door itself.

Older houses have at least 1 feet on either side of the garage door that can be used for these purposes. Park closer to the wall on the passenger side and you'll have space for the blower right beside the garage door.
***Brand New Apple TV 4th Gen 64GB ONLY $220!!***
Silver Coins | Apple TV 4th Gen 64GB | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Oct 24, 2016
545 posts
371 upvotes
ON
I too have a double car garage with both cars parked inside all through the year. There was a reason why I opted for a snow thrower rather than a snow blower. I have no problem storing the lawn mower and snow thrower along with the two cars . The problem, however, is how to get the snow thrower out while the cars are parked inside. Last year I began to store the snow thrower on my porch the night before if there was snow forecast for next day (especially if its a weekend when the cars will remain in the garage).
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
[OP]
Oct 14, 2017
353 posts
308 upvotes
The back wall has lawn mower tucked away. Perhaps I can get rid of the shelf and move one bin there to make room for the snowblower?
schade wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 12:46 pm
If you cleaned up that back wall, you should be able to fit the lawnmower in there, you might have to fold the handle down or even remove if possible. The snowblower should fit between the 2 cars if you back one in like you do and pull the other one in... Both will have to stay tight to the walls. Et any passengers out before pulling in
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
41975 posts
2780 upvotes
Richmond Hill
xtrmDeals wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 1:05 pm
The back wall has lawn mower tucked away. Perhaps I can get rid of the shelf and move one bin there to make room for the snowblower?
I think part of your problem are those huge recycling, garbage, and green bins. Do you really need such big bins? You can easily fit the blower there if your bins were half the size.
***Brand New Apple TV 4th Gen 64GB ONLY $220!!***
Silver Coins | Apple TV 4th Gen 64GB | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
[OP]
Oct 14, 2017
353 posts
308 upvotes
lol - those are medium sized ones from the city. The smaller ones are too small for our family.
Jon Lai wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 1:11 pm
I think part of your problem are those huge recycling, garbage, and green bins. Do you really need such big bins? You can easily fit the blower there if your bins were half the size.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13748 posts
3159 upvotes
London
xtrmDeals wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 12:10 pm
But do you have one big 16 foot wide garage door or two 7 foot wide doors ( one on each side with a column in the centre) ?

If it’s a single big door, you pre position the blower between the cars so you can start blowing right away.

If it’s two single doors, you have to leave like a 26-28” gap to get the machine out.

My neighbor has a 30” two stage 10 HP. It’s too big to get out if there a car inside. So he has to shovel enough to back the car out so the machine can get outside.

Edit - looks like 2 single doors - manually shovel to get one car out of the garage and make enough space to get the blower through
[OP]
Oct 14, 2017
353 posts
308 upvotes
Yup! Single two doors.
l69norm wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 1:33 pm
But do you have one big 16 foot wide garage door or two 7 foot wide doors ( one on each side with a column in the centre) ?

If it’s a single big door, you pre position the blower between the cars so you can start blowing right away.

If it’s two single doors, you have to leave like a 26-28” gap to get the machine out.

My neighbor has a 30” two stage 10 HP. It’s too big to get out if there a car inside. So he has to shovel enough to back the car out so the machine can get outside.

Edit - looks like 2 single doors - manually shovel to get one car out of the garage and make enough space to get the blower through