Sports & Recreation

Snowboards: What to look for? A good set for ~$350?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2004 9:11 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 6, 2002
943 posts
65 upvotes

Snowboards: What to look for? A good set for ~$350?

Hi, I;m a beginner snowboarder.. looking into getting a whole set. But i see the prices range quite ABIT from $250 to $800 for a whole set (bindings, boots, board)

From what I've researched, i heard that bindings is the MOST important factor and should be the highest priced... Also, I"m not sure if I should be looking for big brands when buying these things , such as K2 etc.

Personally, from what I've learn in buying skiing eqp, I always looked for 'light weight' so i can maneuveur easier...

Anyways, I've chosen these:

Bindings: http://tinyurl.com/48art

Board: http://tinyurl.com/6q743

Boot: http://tinyurl.com/3ucp8

Also, for my board, I plan to get a 146 or 150. I weigh 150 and 6 foot tall.

Can anyone comment if my set is 'OK' for a beginner - intermediate purposes.

Thanks for ur time all! :) happy winter!
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2004
1809 posts
6 upvotes
im not an expert when it comes to snowboarding. i was seeking advice myself. but some rfd members were nice enough to help.

from what i know:

get a pair of boots that are really comfortable. after hours of snowboarding in a day, you dont want to have your feet hurting cause you went cheap on them

146 or 150? i'm much smaller/shorter than you and i have a k2 satellite 149cm.
it really depends on what you plan on doing... if you're going thru terrain parks, then i guess youi'd want something shorter so you can manuever easily... (harder to control though)

if possible, you should try to go to places to try on the boot and stuff. or you could check places that have discontinued models (i went in october and got a k2 satellite for $200)
try reading reviews. i cant remember where i got em, but google ur board in quotations. im sure you'll find one or two sites.

hope i've been of help.
good luck!!
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2004
3890 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
Glad to see you helping other noobs out mingcourt.

Who told you to go all out on bindings? Like mingcourt said, get comfortable boots 'cuz if they aren't comfortable then you'll end up with painful feet and you'll hate snowboarding. Longer boards are better for freeriding (stability) but harder for turns. Look at the manufacturer specs that should be found on every snowboard. It'll tell you generally what length you need based on your weight. The heavier you are, the longer your board will be in order to maximize the effective edge.

If I can sway you in your decisions, don't buy any of the items you posted. Instead, visit a smaller snowboard only shop and ask a lot of questions. Most boardshops I know of are really nice with noobs. They won't rip you off unless they don't like you :cheesygri

Also consider buying a used snowboard from stores like Boardsports (Yonge and Eglinton) or Silent Sports (Yonge and Doncaster) if you live in Toronto. They have some really good quality gear for cheap.

Good luck and don't forget you're gonna need to buy a lot of other stuff (i.e. jacket, pants, gloves, helmet, goggles, etc...). Winners is great for that!
Feb 28, 2002
152 posts
1 upvote
toronto
getting a 150 is not recommended for someone 6' tall. you need at least a 158 or so. you can go shorter, but that's if you want a pipe board. for better stability you want to get at least a 158 and up to a 162 or so.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1181 posts
44 upvotes
GTA
mjl_toronto wrote: Good luck and don't forget you're gonna need to buy a lot of other stuff (i.e. jacket, pants, gloves, helmet, goggles, etc...). Winners is great for that!
Yes, total agreed. I bought my son a nice used board/binding for $250 and spend almost the same amount for other stuff like boot, helmet, gogge etc. :lol:
Dec 3, 2004
195 posts
11 upvotes
Burnaby
Damn, looks like i missed out when i didnt buy those 60$ snowboards, 40 dollar bindings and 15 dollar snow pants at the option sale 2 weeks back in van.
▓▒▓▒▓█▓██▄▀▄▀ HEAT▀▄▀▄██▓█▓▒▓▒▓
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3356 posts
60 upvotes
Ontario
fuc847 wrote:Hi, I;m a beginner snowboarder.. looking into getting a whole set. But i see the prices range quite ABIT from $250 to $800 for a whole set (bindings, boots, board)

From what I've researched, i heard that bindings is the MOST important factor and should be the highest priced... Also, I"m not sure if I should be looking for big brands when buying these things , such as K2 etc.

Personally, from what I've learn in buying skiing eqp, I always looked for 'light weight' so i can maneuveur easier...

Anyways, I've chosen these:

Bindings: http://tinyurl.com/48art

Board: http://tinyurl.com/6q743

Boot: http://tinyurl.com/3ucp8

Also, for my board, I plan to get a 146 or 150. I weigh 150 and 6 foot tall.

Can anyone comment if my set is 'OK' for a beginner - intermediate purposes.

Thanks for ur time all! :) happy winter!
Ouch. If you get the V9's, you might as well buy a good board to match. SMX is a Sportmart brand. Their SMX boards are featureless planks of wood. Sure, if you're a beginner they're alright, but you will probably be upgrading in the near future if you stick with it. If you want I can get you a deal on some select K2 boards. Take a look at the K2 Fuse, good entry level board.

I had a pair of the V9 Plasmas. Good binding, but I fonud it to be somewhat weak after a while. I've gone from that to Sims X3's and they're a lot better quality. I've broken the buckle once. Just purchased the 2004 model and they should be just as great. As a plug to myself, if you want some of this year's Sims X3's, PM me, $100, brand new. Black/white. Metal frame.

As for boots. Don't buy them because they are the cheapest things you can find. You're gonig to be wearing them all day. Just go out and blindfold yourself while someone fits boots on you. Just pick the most comfortable pair. It's worth spending $50 more to get something that you can wear for 5 hours, than paying $1 for something you can wear for 5 minutes.

Where are you located? I'm in Mississauga if you want to buy anything from me.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2107 posts
359 upvotes
First thing to do is NOT go to sportchek or any big chain store as their sales people know nothing (or very little) compared to specialty shops. I suggest finding a specialty shop in your area and ask them. A good shop will have a person that goes to all the demo days and puts on all the equipment so they at least have an opinion on each product they are selling. If you cannot find that person in the shop, then go elsewhere. Specialty shops will not much more expensive than the chain stores. They will have quality product, not plywood with a nice plastic sheet over it. They are not there to rip you off, they are there to be happy with your purchase.

Second best resource is not here (no offense RFD'ers... we're not all snowboarders!). I would go to a snowboarding forum. I suggest snowboard.com. I just found them and they have 4000+ users online at a time. By far the largest site I've seen. Post your question there and you'll usually lots of answers.

As for me, I suggest (as most others have here) to go for a good boot first. The binding and board should be comparable to each other in terms of style and price. You don't want burton carbon bindings with a firefly snowboard or a firefly bindings with a burton custom x board :) But in the end, you don't want blisters that will put you out of commission for the rest of the day.

Regarding the length of the board, I suggest you go to a board shop that has a good salesperson (see paragraph 1) and ask them. Height AND weight are important when choosing a board, not height alone.

Hope that helps!

Side note: if anybody knows of a good place to buy snowboards in the GTA area, pm me please!
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1181 posts
44 upvotes
GTA
I bought my son's equipment at Skiis & Biikes at Don Mills Rd/Lawrence, pretty experience staff and price looks reasonable to me. I recommend you drop by during weekday because it's less busy and more knowledgable staff around.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2004
3890 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
I'm glad you had a good experience at Skiis and Bikes tomtong but I wouldn't say they are one of the better places. Here's a bunch of good snowboard shops I'd recommend:

Hogtown (Queen St.)
Boardsports (Yonge & Eglinton)
Boardzone (Dufferin & Steeles)
Alcatraz (Oshawa Centre)
Sporting Life (Yonge & Eglinton, although they are very pro Burton and don't seem to know much outside of Burton)

I personally like Boardsports and Alcatraz. There's another one near Hogtown on Queen but the name escapes me.

If you're looking for a good price online, try www.boardsports.com
They're based in B.C. but they ship for free (after a certain price) and they don't charge PST! So do your research here and order through them.
Nov 15, 2003
963 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
mjl_toronto wrote:If you're looking for a good price online, try www.boardsports.com
They're based in B.C. but they ship for free (after a certain price) and they don't charge PST! So do your research here and order through them.
Is it even possible to shop online with www.boardsports.com? I'm lazy to go to Younge and Eglinton :cheesygri but if i have too... hehe
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1181 posts
44 upvotes
GTA
mjl_toronto wrote:I'm glad you had a good experience at Skiis and Bikes tomtong but I wouldn't say they are one of the better places. Here's a bunch of good snowboard shops I'd recommend:
I'm still new to this sport & thx for your advice. I will definitely check them out in my next purchase. :D