• Sep 29th, 2014 10:24 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 21, 2010
74 posts
70 upvotes
Sudbury

Snowmobile mittens

I'm looking to buy a good pair of mittens for snowmobiling. So I'll be using them in -20 to -30 (and below) temperatures. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've looked at mec.ca marks.com etc... but I don't feel like ordering something only having to return it. So any reviews would be appreciated.

Thank you.
3 replies
Apr 21, 2010
74 posts
70 upvotes
Sudbury
Thanks for the info. but I have hand warmers on my machine. So the warmth of the mittens would be most important when I'm stopped on the trail. Although they do help while riding, especially if they block the wind from hitting the back of yours hands. Another problem with my current mittens is that with the hand warmers on I often get too hot and they don't let the moisture escape. So if I stop in extreme cold temperatures my hands cool down fast. I've read/heard that Gore-tex works great for just that. It apparently prevents moisture from going in the mitten but also allows it to escape, keeping your hands dry. Again... not sure if this is a load of marketing BS. :)
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2637 posts
1353 upvotes
CANADA
You are right about hands getting too warm. You end up with sweaty hands. This is why I like the Symtec variable settings.

I usually wear snowboard type gloves. But, I find mittens are better to keep warm. BUT, I prefer operating thumb throttle with gloves.

Maybe check with Army Surplus or something like that? I am sure our army has good mittens! :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)