Careers

So it is better to start a new job before the holidays than after?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2018 1:10 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
Congrats. Another happy ending on RFD. I hope to get mine soon.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
raichu1 wrote: Congrats. Another happy ending on RFD. I hope to get mine soon.
Is everyone fighting to get into the public sector nowadays?

OP, which position have you applied for?
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2010
1215 posts
437 upvotes
Ottawa
blitzforce wrote: Is everyone fighting to get into the public sector nowadays?

Doesn't look like it, at least for computer science people. I just heard tales of new grads getting six figures. maybe that's why it's not really difficult to get in now. Private companies seem to pay more than the gov. The tide has turned now for IT people? I am also wondering.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
1000islands wrote: Doesn't look like it, at least for computer science people. I just heard tales of new grads getting six figures. maybe that's why it's not really difficult to get in now. Private companies seem to pay more than the gov. The tide has turned now for IT people? I am also wondering.
New grads getting six figures? Sigh, I went into the wrong industry.....

Are you talking about Silicone Valley?
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
Moot point. Do whatever is more convenient.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2010
1215 posts
437 upvotes
Ottawa
blitzforce wrote: New grads getting six figures? Sigh, I went into the wrong industry.....

Are you talking about Silicone Valley?
I heard six figure is the minimum in Silicone Valley.
We are talking about creme de la creme, for six figure, like people from Waterloo working for Apple, Amazon, etc...I don't know for sure. Maybe some people just trolling. I am wondering too.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
1000islands wrote: I heard six figure is the minimum in Silicone Valley.
We are talking about creme de la creme, for six figure, like people from Waterloo working for Apple, Amazon, etc...I don't know for sure. Maybe some people just trolling. I am wondering too.
I have some friends also in IT and they don't even make close to that. Maybe in the future they will be making that salary but not straight out of university. If you are talking about Silicone Valley, many people on RFD said that the cost of living there is very high so your disposable income at the end of the day isn't that much.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
SO OP, did you end up starting before or after the holidays? I might have missed your answer. Your original question is pretty much resolved right? All these chit-chatting getting me confused.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13064 posts
3754 upvotes
blitzforce wrote: I have some friends also in IT and they don't even make close to that. Maybe in the future they will be making that salary but not straight out of university. If you are talking about Silicone Valley, many people on RFD said that the cost of living there is very high so your disposable income at the end of the day isn't that much.
Another challenge is lifestyle. Certain industries usually come with a certain lifestyle which is nice if you want that, otherwise you are not saving as much either.

I know a friend who went into the investing industry, made lots of money but had to keep up appearances (designer clothes), go out to "socialize" etc. Didn't end up with much more at all.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1811 posts
2410 upvotes
BC
1000islands wrote: so, I guess it doesn't matter when you start.
Yes, it does.

All Fed employees who been around for awhile knows that if you work 75 hours (ie. 10 working days) you get a full vacation day for all of that calendar month (in this case December). The January month calculation starts all over again on Jan 1. So you always try to start in mid- month and you also leave at mid-month (never start or leave at beginning or end of the month) to maximize your vacation credits.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2010
1215 posts
437 upvotes
Ottawa
WetCoastGuy wrote: Yes, it does.

All Fed employees who been around for awhile knows that if you work 75 hours (ie. 10 working days) you get a full vacation day for all of that calendar month (in this case December). The January month calculation starts all over again on Jan 1. So you always try to start in mid- month and you also leave at mid-month (never start or leave at beginning or end of the month) to maximize your vacation credits.
oh, well...I will start at the end of next month. just one vacation day is not a big deal for me.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1811 posts
2410 upvotes
BC
1000islands wrote: oh, well...I will start at the end of next month. just one vacation day is not a big deal for me.
Congrats on your new job.

Anyways, something to remember - a vacation day can be worth about $200 if you decide to get it paid out.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2010
1215 posts
437 upvotes
Ottawa
WetCoastGuy wrote: Congrats on your new job.

Anyways, something to remember - a vacation day can be worth about $200 if you decide to get it paid out.
Thank you. All the bests to you too!
:( I already forsake xmas, new year pay by starting later...what was I thinking? oh, well, just money...hey, I am just happy they gave me the second highest step though
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
blitzforce wrote: Is everyone fighting to get into the public sector nowadays?

I never mentioned fighting to get into public sector. I just congrats her on getting her "dream" job. If you have been on these forums for over a year, you can read the journey that OP went on and the hardships s/he overcame.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
raichu1 wrote: I never mentioned fighting to get into public sector. I just congrats her on getting her "dream" job. If you have been on these forums for over a year, you can read the journey that OP went on and the hardships s/he overcame.
I am implying that there are a lot of public sector threads lately.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
blitzforce wrote: I am implying that there are a lot of public sector threads lately.
That is what happens when public services seems a better deal than private. In the US, its a different story.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
blitzforce wrote: I am implying that there are a lot of public sector threads lately.
...And you're in every one of them like a dirty shirt! Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
No Frills wrote: ...And you're in every one of them like a dirty shirt! Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Because I'm mad and jelly when I'm over-timing/stressed out and don't get paid much more than a guy sitting in a booth watching people put tickets into a slot while think giving directions is a chore.
Jan 11, 2017
121 posts
40 upvotes
1000islands wrote: Glad I did. Got offer and second highest step. Sweet.
Just curious, how is the new job with the feds?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)