Fashion & Beauty

So Canada Goose is still considered cool?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2014 9:36 pm
Jul 5, 2011
180 posts
16 upvotes
OTTAWA
Looking like a dork isn't cool.
Nov 23, 2008
382 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
It's still popular because it's probably the first brand people think of when they're looking for a new winter jacket due to it's ubiquity. Prior to the CG craze, I don't think there was a 'go-to' winter jacket, but I could be wrong here.

People may also buy it because they're dumb sheep. I don't know if it's still cool (a subjective and dumb term anyways), but in the end it's still a well-made winter jacket that serves its purpose well.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6565 posts
2095 upvotes
Zewo wrote: Prior to the CG craze, I don't think there was a 'go-to' winter jacket, but I could be wrong here.
It's arc'mec-gonia.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2006
2021 posts
611 upvotes
gta
i also bought this brand of jacket since at that time it was the only brand i know of that is warm. I never bought a winter jacket before and i always get hand-me-down jacket from siblings/relatives. I finally outgrew mine (literally) , and now im looking to buy another. I am mainly buying it because of warranty and fit and not for the brand only. As far as a cool factor, i say so-so since its everywhere, you cant be unique. You can always buy the non color logo to be a bit more different.
No links or solicitations through sigs
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean

North face sucks. The only north face model to get with verified warmth is the Himalaya parka. Retail $750 (tho sportinglife had 50% off sale in jan/feb last season). Everything else NF is crap, mass produced, and not warm. All the celebs wearing it is because the manufacturer sends it to them for free or as product placement/endorsement... just like CG. I could show similar/same celebs wearing CG. #FACT

I would choose mountain hardware over NF any day for warmth.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
ghostfacechilla wrote: There are a lot of hate threads and comments about CG. I'm going to chime in on the topic here. In response to OP's wife chuckling at poor students wearing it as a status symbol. A lot of people buy CG for kids,teens, adults as gifts. Who knows whom its from? Was it a gift from another family member who has money? Did a hard working parent save money to get the gift their kid really wants? Can't a son or daughter enjoy a warm stylish coat? Kids receive either toys, clothes and other gifts as a reward for doing well in school. Instead of buying expensive shoes (the previous big gift status symbol), isnt it better to get a coat? I don't blame kids here. If you want to put blame on anyone for this trend it's the parents who are making the money and buying it. Hate on the person who is wanting something that has a reputation for warmth, style, warranty, and desire for their loved ones. Personally I don't agree on people spending a ton on lets say LV bags, but CG is different. It hits off on pretty much all I mention. Still overpriced for sure, but thats expected from the top brand name. Shoes cost $10-$50 to make and look how much shoes/boots sell for these days($50-600 UGGS, Frys, Red Wings, Sorel etc). Same for Iphones and Galaxys and on avg everyone on this board has bought 1-3 of them when we could have all bought Huawei's.
True, lol. Many HS students work at McD's, BK, TH save up the money to buy CG. Some maybe fakes from craigslist or kijiji but most are real. I saw a college kid wear an authentic chiliwack CG and works at Pac Mall McD's. I mean anyone can save up money over 2-3 months to buy a CG on a modest fast food chain salary. No big deal. The top CG's are the TEI 5 models. All other model are a waste of time and money. The only good ones that are functional and warm. Unfortunately most peeps dont get these and settle for cheaper models which are a waste. For mens they would be expedition, resolute, snow mantra parka models.
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
It's a bit alien to me because when I was younger (ok I'm not old, but I'm out of HS lol), a winter jacket was neither a fashion statement nor a priority in terms of getting to "be cool" :razz: Certainly we didn't want a horrible looking jacket, but I never noticed brands on them until the whole CG thing came along a few years after when I started University (which is the first time I heard of them).
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: North face sucks. The only north face model to get with verified warmth is the Himalaya parka. Retail $750 (tho sportinglife had 50% off sale in jan/feb last season). Everything else NF is crap, mass produced, and not warm. All the celebs wearing it is because the manufacturer sends it to them for free or as product placement/endorsement... just like CG. I could show similar/same celebs wearing CG. #FACT

I would choose mountain hardware over NF any day for warmth.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2009
6135 posts
1981 upvotes
Scarborough
Ballers gonna ball
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
29332 posts
10713 upvotes
Hamilton
SkimGuy wrote: Ballers gonna ball
Ballers gonna ball
hated on but respected.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
aznnorth wrote: I would choose mountain hardware over NF any day for warmth.
I personally think Mountain Hardware stuff is friggin' ugly, I am all for functional outerwear over fashion but I still want it to look half decent. =) I have no experience with MH in terms of quality of the garments themselves though
Mar 8, 2012
486 posts
89 upvotes
Montreal
What's a good warm jacket other than CG?
Jul 2, 2014
491 posts
168 upvotes
Maple, ON
If it looks good, wear it. If not, don't. Simple.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Puleeez... arcteryx are layering jackets. That jacket is not warm even though it is "insulated". Below -15 or so you start freezing without mid-layers. I know... cuz I have 2 arcteryx including that model. ALL arcteryx are just outer shell models. They dont pass the t-shirt test in -30 -40 polar vortex windchill. Adding all the mid-layers and outer layer arcteryx becomes like CG --- costs total $1000 bucs + for all the layering. It's kind of a rip-off imo. The outer layers are good for fall rainy season but if you expect Mount Everest summit parkas and warmth, fagettaboutit! Buying a warm jacket or parka is one that will pass the t-shirt test in polar vortex environment, not walking to and from your car to Timmies or McD's, just sayin..
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
akinos1 wrote: What's a good warm jacket other than CG?
Multiple page threads on this very topic:

Thread: Alternatives to Canada Goose? Looking for something different
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/alternat ... nt-977382/

Why get canada goose when there are cheaper alternatives?
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/why-get- ... s-1239508/

Thread: What winter jacket do you have?
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/what-win ... e-1105027/
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)