Off Topic Archive

Locked: So does FB actually inform people if you download their pictures?

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2011 7:23 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23272 posts
1434 upvotes
Markham

So does FB actually inform people if you download their pictures?

So I've heard rumors that Facebook informs people when their pictures are being downloaded.

Can someone verify for me?

Thanks
Share:
32 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14142 posts
584 upvotes
yao416 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2011 5:54 pm
So I've heard rumors that Facebook informs people when their pictures are being downloaded.

Can someone verify for me?

Thanks
Don't you have vaportech as a facebook friend? Download one of his pics and see if he gets informed.

Or just log out of your account, visit your page (presumably only your profile pic is viewable), download your profile pic, log in, and see if you get notified.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10039 posts
104 upvotes
Not that I know of... but they probably store every single piece of your activity (such as which profiles you visit and when), even if they don't make that info available to the other person.

It's easy to check for yourself, though... if you have a profile, can you see who has downloaded your photos?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23272 posts
1434 upvotes
Markham
45ED wrote:
Apr 30th, 2011 5:59 pm
Don't you have vaportech as a facebook friend? Download one of his pics and see if he gets informed.

Or just log out of your account, visit your page (presumably only your profile pic is viewable), download your profile pic, log in, and see if you get notified.
No, I don't have fAcebook that's why I'm so curious
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7626 posts
161 upvotes
Montreal
as far as i know, no you can't. if they want, they could make everything visible to everyone but obviously, they don't so happy stalking :razz:
have you seen boxing day? if you have any infos that can help us locate him, please contact us @ 1‒800‒867‒5309

(V)^,,,,^(V) woop woop woop woop woop
flashy_mcflash wrote:
Mar 19th, 2012 3:17 pm
haha. Though seriously, what a ridiculous year for CG to be trendy. If there was one year NOT to spend $600 on a coat, it was this winter.
Jan 3, 2007
208 posts
41 upvotes
by download do you mean right click and save as? By you looking at the picture you have already downloaded it to your computer into cache - right clicking and saving is impossible for them to figure out as nothing actually happens, the browser just copies the picture from cache to wherever you save it to.

The only way they'd figure out something was up if you set up some sort of bot to scrape pages since they'd see the same ip hitting hundreds of pages really quickly.
Aug 31, 2008
936 posts
102 upvotes
Thornhill
mik3 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2011 6:30 pm
by download do you mean right click and save as? By you looking at the picture you have already downloaded it to your computer into cache - right clicking and saving is impossible for them to figure out as nothing actually happens, the browser just copies the picture from cache to wherever you save it to.

The only way they'd figure out something was up if you set up some sort of bot to scrape pages since they'd see the same ip hitting hundreds of pages really quickly.

I am pretty sure you can't right click 'save as' pictures anymore because of their new picture viewer or w/e. If you want to download the picture you have to click the 'download' link on the bottom left. Although you can go back to the old way of viewing pics by opening the album in a new window/tab.
[QUOTE]"try try and try again.. and if you still don't succeed then you just wasted a lot of time trying to do something you just couldn't do!!"[/QUOTE]
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2008
4934 posts
61 upvotes
Richmond Hill
trky wrote:
Apr 30th, 2011 6:43 pm
I am pretty sure you can't right click 'save as' pictures anymore because of their new picture viewer or w/e. If you want to download the picture you have to click the 'download' link on the bottom left. Although you can go back to the old way of viewing pics by opening the album in a new window/tab.

Wrong.

Hit f5.

Bye.
York Region is best region!
Aug 31, 2008
936 posts
102 upvotes
Thornhill
Akraz wrote:
Apr 30th, 2011 7:11 pm
Wrong.

Hit f5.

Bye.

thanks, that's just going back to the older version of viewing pics. You still can't do it with the new viewer
[QUOTE]"try try and try again.. and if you still don't succeed then you just wasted a lot of time trying to do something you just couldn't do!!"[/QUOTE]
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14142 posts
584 upvotes
trky wrote:
Apr 30th, 2011 7:22 pm
thanks, that's just going back to the older version of viewing pics. You still can't do it with the new viewer

Select the text just beneath the image and to the left (name of photo album?). Without lifting your finger off of the mouse, drag your mouse upwards and to the right (diagonally-ish), as to "select" the image. Then let go, right click "view source" or whatever and see if the url shows up in the code page.

It might show up as a jpg, so search for ".jpg" or something.
Aug 31, 2008
936 posts
102 upvotes
Thornhill
45ED wrote:
Apr 30th, 2011 7:35 pm
Select the text just beneath the image and to the left (name of photo album?). Without lifting your finger off of the mouse, drag your mouse upwards and to the right (diagonally-ish), as to "select" the image. Then let go, right click "view source" or whatever and see if the url shows up in the code page.

It might show up as a jpg, so search for ".jpg" or something.

sry, I don't get what what you're trying to do here. I am going to guess you're trying to find the url for the image and paste it on the web browser which will then allow you to right click and save? I have stated that you can just right click album/picture and open it on new tab/window to go back to old version where you can just right click and 'save as' or do what Akraz said and press F5 which will get rid of the new viewer.
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14142 posts
584 upvotes
trky wrote:
Apr 30th, 2011 7:48 pm
sry, I don't get what what you're trying to do here. I am going to guess you're trying to find the url for the image and paste it on the web browser which will then allow you to right click and save? I have stated that you can just right click album/picture and open it on new tab/window to go back to old version where you can just right click and 'save as' or do what Akraz said and press F5 which will get rid of the new viewer.

Nothing logical -- just looking for a challenge.
Jan 14, 2007
354 posts
Toronto
Awww yeee snipping tool. (ForeverAlone)
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15884 posts
353 upvotes
yao416 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2011 6:00 pm
No, I don't have fAcebook that's why I'm so curious

oh really?

Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
3622 posts
330 upvotes
Worried about getting a restraining order put on you?
× < >