9009 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
3250 posts
2872 upvotes
Montreal
Congrats!!
I hope you own 10 tons of TSLA!! :cheesygri
What does After Hours mean? People still buy/sell after the market has closed?
virtuman1980 wrote: Haha...pretty interesting fellow indeed...but it was this persistence/stubbornness of his that got him the positive result in the end
datako wrote: ... Although, I'm a little surprised you went against what everyone advised ,op. You've got balls and absolutely crazy at the same time to do this.
Nov 6, 2012
229 posts
41 upvotes
AB
Bought a couple grand worth during the day banking on a nice report...kicking myself i didnt grab more!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
9003 posts
5727 upvotes
bgallagher wrote: Congrats!!
I hope you own 10 tons of TSLA!! :cheesygri
What does After Hours mean? People still buy/sell after the market has closed?
Yes, there is always before/after market trading.

Earnings are normally announced before markets open / after they close. Looks like TSLA had good earnings reports which is the reason for the aftermarket spike.

--Tesla posted its first quarterly profit, of $11.2 million, zero cents a share
--Company expects to deliver 21,000 electric vehicles in 2013
--Most shipments will be to customers in North America, Europe
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20123 posts
2949 upvotes
I think Tesla is a good company but the P/E ratio for this stock is insane given it's sector. It's being treated like a tech stock since it's founder is a tech titan and everyone in the Valley follows it - but it is not a tech stock, it is an industrial. Its simply impossoble for Tesla to grow at a rate to warrant this kind of P/E. How many people outside California drive a Tesla?
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
4546 posts
913 upvotes
Toronto
Sell now or keep? Not sure if there is any more upside to it.

On the negative note, I lost $35K on RIM...
Mar 19, 2010
918 posts
106 upvotes
Markham
cessnabmw wrote: Sell now or keep? ..
It's always a difficult decision when it comes to selling.

The following firms have issued an update to the stock.

* Tesla Motors : Baird raises price target to $70 from $62; rating outperform
* Tesla Motors : Jefferies raises price target to $70 from $68; rating buy
* Tesla Motors : Goldman Sachs cuts to neutral from buy
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2007
5507 posts
1956 upvotes
At 70 bucks, I'd take profits. It's a good story, but it went too far...
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2318 posts
620 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
+1

Bought at 34$ in Feb somewhere, double my investment in less than 6 months :D

What do you guys think? Will it keep going up?

I am guessing it is going to drop a bit again and might grab a few more when it does. My investments are small compared to others but they seem big to me :P
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9318 posts
204 upvotes
dlhunter wrote: At 70 bucks, I'd take profits. It's a good story, but it went too far...
I'm guessing there were a number of people betting big on a medicore (or worse) earnings report - and the huge increase was due to 'short covering'.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2318 posts
620 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
78$ today.

How much higher are they gonna keep going?:

I want to buy stock and keep thinking they will drop a bit one day but at this rate I am thinking I should just go in now
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2007
5507 posts
1956 upvotes
Not much, it will rest in 65-75 range.
BOT May 67.5P SOLD May 65P in a 1/3 ratio for $1.7 credit. Max gain $4200, break even $63. Impl vol is rich at 112%, love it!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2007
5507 posts
1956 upvotes
Crzyrio wrote: 78$ today.

How much higher are they gonna keep going?:

I want to buy stock and keep thinking they will drop a bit one day but at this rate I am thinking I should just go in now
If you must own this stock, sell puts. Let's say May 70P goes for $2. If you're exercised, your price will be $68 (strike price minus premium received).
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2318 posts
620 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
dlhunter wrote: If you must own this stock, sell puts. Let's say May 70P goes for $2. If you're exercised, your price will be $68 (strike price minus premium received).
I am sorry, I am very new to the stock market and dont quiet get what your trying to say.

I am reading up a bit on 'puts' but still do not quiet understand, would you mind a little explanation?

I do own a few that I bought back in February to get me started.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
4546 posts
913 upvotes
Toronto
I bought at $15 and sold at $70... Would buy back in at $60-63 if I can...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2007
5507 posts
1956 upvotes
Crzyrio wrote: I am sorry, I am very new to the stock market and dont quiet get what your trying to say.

I am reading up a bit on 'puts' but still do not quiet understand, would you mind a little explanation?

I do own a few that I bought back in February to get me started.
Selling naked puts is high probability trade where you sell premium (option price). You must be authorized by your broker to do so, it's just an extra form where all risks are disclosed to you. In a nutshell, by selling 70 put in TSLA, you are obligated to buy stock at $70. Since you already collected $2 premium ($2 times 100 shares per 1 contract = $200), your price, upon assignment, will be $70 - 2 = $68 (plus applicable fees, eg for each contract, RBC charges 9.95 + 1.25 to sell and $45 on assignment).

Selling puts is high probability because chances of, lets say May 70P in TSLA, close out the money 66%. When you buy stock, it's always 50%. So by selling puts you're slightly ahead - if TSLA doesn't drop to 70 by next Friday, you keep the premium. If it does, your price is 68 per share.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2318 posts
620 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
dlhunter wrote: Selling naked puts is high probability trade where you sell premium (option price). You must be authorized by your broker to do so, it's just an extra form where all risks are disclosed to you. In a nutshell, by selling 70 put in TSLA, you are obligated to buy stock at $70. Since you already collected $2 premium ($2 times 100 shares per 1 contract = $200), your price, upon assignment, will be $70 - 2 = $68 (plus applicable fees, eg for each contract, RBC charges 9.95 + 1.25 to sell and $45 on assignment).

Selling puts is high probability because chances of, lets say May 70P in TSLA, close out the money 66%. When you buy stock, it's always 50%. So by selling puts you're slightly ahead - if TSLA doesn't drop to 70 by next Friday, you keep the premium. If it does, your price is 68 per share.
Thanks! That makes a lot more sense now. I am basically agreeing to buy it if the price drops to 70 and I get 2$ for ever stock that I get to keep. If the price drops to 70 I buy them if it does not I get to keep the 2$?

I am currently using Questrade so I assume this process will be long :P but I will start the process this weekend and look at the fees.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)