• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2018 10:51 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2010
2764 posts
174 upvotes
Too bad I only a small position in this. But better then nothing :) .
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
1849 posts
289 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Abel4Life wrote:
Aug 7th, 2013 6:54 pm
Too bad I only a small position in this. But better then nothing :) .
Haha same. I sold most of it at 110, but wish I kept it all :P
Sep 8, 2002
200 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Pretty insane. Tesla now has a market cap 2/5th's of GM. I also got rid of most of mine around 100, but still kept some. What I don't really understand is that the outlook hasn't changed that much since Tesla won car of the year last year. It didn't go up much for a while, but within the last half year, it has exploded, and keeps going up. I suppose a lot of the rise has to do with shorts covering their positions.
Sep 4, 2009
318 posts
99 upvotes
iambored wrote:
Aug 8th, 2013 1:31 pm
Pretty insane. Tesla now has a market cap 2/5th's of GM. I also got rid of most of mine around 100, but still kept some. What I don't really understand is that the outlook hasn't changed that much since Tesla won car of the year last year. It didn't go up much for a while, but within the last half year, it has exploded, and keeps going up. I suppose a lot of the rise has to do with shorts covering their positions.
Or perhaps this company really is a game disruptor and all for the better. Future earnings are currently priced in now, especially considering the long term plan of a sub $40,000 or $30,000 mass production EV car.

This stock at $157 today is still a buy.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
16197 posts
2170 upvotes
Toronto
Bought at low 20's...sold at mid 30s... :( .

Was thinking it was stupid getting in at $100...but now at $150...I want to get in...

Problems I see...

I was comparing this to one of the largest car makers in India (Tata Motors NYSE:TTM) [It was the only company I could really compare it to, as Toyota, GM, Ford are too big].

Currently Tata Motors has a market cap of 16B. They are the largest selling car maker in India and other parts of Asia, and only have a market cap of 16B

TSLA on the other hand is hoping to sell/produce 40,000 cars per year and is valued at 18B.

Do we really think TSLA will be > TTM?

Despite that...after just test driving the car last weekend, and soon to be owner of either Model S or Model X (will be buying 1...just don't know if I should wait till the Model X), I think I'm going to play this one with Options...

Here's what I am thinking of doing....

Buy TSLA Jan 2015 Calls with Exercise price of $200 for $30 a piece.

Sell TSLA Jan 2014 Calls with Exercise price of $200 for $11 a piece

Net cost to buying 2015 TSLA $200 calls = $19 a piece.

What do you guys think?
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
2835 posts
2333 upvotes
so basically if someone bought $35,000 worth of TSLA at inception, he would have 1/4 million today.

:o
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
16197 posts
2170 upvotes
Toronto
Glancealot wrote:
Aug 12th, 2013 12:27 am
so basically if someone bought $35,000 worth of TSLA at inception, he would have 1/4 million today.

LOL I did buy quite a bit of TSLA at inception...just sold it wayyyyyy too early.
May 10, 2009
153 posts
18 upvotes
I totally missed out on this. Oh well haha
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2013
2445 posts
545 upvotes
College Student Puts Life Savings On Tesla And Makes A Killing
Patrick Hop admits that everyone told him he shouldn't do it. A year later, he's glad he ignored their warnings. The 22-year-old student at the University of California, Berkeley invested $30,000 into Tesla stock a year ago and has parlayed it into an investment worth approximately $250,000 today.
http://www.businessinsider.com/college- ... ing-2013-8

Nice job! Congrats to Patrick Hop!
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
40176 posts
1894 upvotes
Richmond Hill
deal_with_singh wrote:
Aug 12th, 2013 12:16 am
Despite that...after just test driving the car last weekend, and soon to be owner of either Model S or Model X (will be buying 1...just don't know if I should wait till the Model X), I think I'm going to play this one with Options...
Getting tired of your current car already? =P

I love the doors on the new Model X, unfortunately SUVs aren't exactly my thing. Still eyeing the Model S for now...

As for the stocks, I'm not sure myself. While I believe in the company itself, there's always the old saying, whatever goes up must come down (somewhat). Look at Apple, it rallied for a decade but finally bit the bullet and gave up 1/3 of its price - and this is a company much larger, and with a lot more physical support than TSLA. I want to get in too, but I'm just worried I'm getting into the top of a bubble. :(
***3M Furnace Filters only $5 each!***
Silver Coins | 3M Furnace Filters | Bosch Orbital Sander
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3191 upvotes
Calgary
Glancealot wrote:
Aug 12th, 2013 12:27 am

Yeah but the CEO owns roughly 1/3rd of the stock. So figure it came on the market at $20, roughly 1/8th of today's price, it was a $2.5B company, with only $1.65B of equity available to the public.

Companies with $1.65B in market cap are basically a dime a dozen.

Basically until March/April of this year, your performance basically would have been similar to the S&P500 if you bought at $20. With far more volatility to boot.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=TSLA ... undefined;

Its great to make money, and if this company can actually deliver a product in a configuration that makes money on a sustainable basis (ie: not a huge amount of subsidies), that would be great. But the jury is still out.
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...