• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2018 8:16 am
Tags:
None
Mar 6, 2017
205 posts
85 upvotes
anyone here shorting the stock?

I feel like people shorting it are either going to be real rich or really poor and hurting when all is said and done... I don't think there will be any middle ground.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
2351 posts
995 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
There is suggestion that Elon is borrowing money personally to buy TSLA and prop it up (click the link to read the whole twitter thread).

Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45138 posts
11672 upvotes
If this hits $600 in 2019, i am going to buy a good number of ATM or maybe ITM puts. Hopefully there are LEAPs on TSLA.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1534 posts
522 upvotes
GTA
alanbrenton wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 9:05 am
If this hits $600 in 2019, i am going to buy a good number of ATM or maybe ITM puts.

Hopefully there are LEAPs on TSLA.
for anyone that is a true believer, could buy the June 2019 $600 call option for ~$9, or wait till TSLA hits $600 then decide whether to buy calls or sell puts
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45138 posts
11672 upvotes
porticoman wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 9:52 am
for anyone that is a true believer, could buy the June 2019 $600 call option for ~$9, or wait till TSLA hits $600 then decide whether to buy calls or sell puts
2020/21 is good because there will be more BEVs in the market by then. To risky to short TSLA at the moment.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1534 posts
522 upvotes
GTA
alanbrenton wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 9:56 am
2020/21 is good because there will be more BEVs in the market by then. To risky to short TSLA at the moment.
if the market for BEV will be that good, then wouldn't it be good to get in early?

the TSLA $600 call expiry January 2020 will cost you approx $22.

for a small investment 10 contracts will cost you $22,000. sit back relax & collect, consider it a nice GIC investment inside your TFSA or RRSP
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45138 posts
11672 upvotes
porticoman wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 10:12 am
if the market for BEV will be that good, then wouldn't it be good to get in early?

for a small investment 10 contracts will cost you $22,000. sit back relax & collect, consider it a nice GIC investment inside your TFSA or RRSP
I am betting against TSLA. Of course, I will buy puts when TSLA stocks have gone up much higher even if it keeps bleeding cash. That way, I'm taking a much lower risk.

I think TSLA will not be as audacious once competition comes on board.

TSLA should just do a secondary offering at the current share price level. It's a lot safer than raising debt.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1534 posts
522 upvotes
GTA
alanbrenton wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 10:30 am
I am betting against TSLA.

Of course, I will buy puts when TSLA stocks have gone up much higher even if it keeps bleeding cash. That way, I'm taking a much lower risk.

I think TSLA will not be as audacious once competition comes on board.

TSLA should just do a secondary offering at the current share price level. It's a lot safer than raising debt.
unlike betting against AMZN, AAPL & GOOGL 2 years ago, do you really believe that TSLA is prime for a pull back when it reaches $600?

for now, those that believe TSLA will get to $600, why not buy the future today?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45138 posts
11672 upvotes
porticoman wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 10:36 am
unlike betting against AMZN, AAPL & GOOGL 2 years ago, do you really believe that TSLA is prime for a pull back when it reaches $600?

for now, those that believe TSLA will get to $600, why not buy the future today?
I don't buy cheap out of the money long dated call options (called gambling) on companies that I think are currently overvalued.

I have no choice but to buy products / use services from AAPL & GOOGL and it's nice to buy stuff from AMZN once in a while. I have a reservation for a TSLA M3 but I'm going to take my time and consider out BEVs from other manufacturers once they arrive in a year or two because I think they will cost much lower to maintain.

You can see that there is no moat around TSLA except for those who think the SCN is heaven-sent. As long as a BEV can go 300 km (even during winter), I'm fine with that.
Jan 18, 2016
108 posts
15 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
alanbrenton wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 10:54 am
You can see that there is no moat around TSLA except for those who think the SCN is heaven-sent. As long as a BEV can go 300 km (even during winter), I'm fine with that.
this. Tesla had a six year head start, it's now gone. I would never short a momentum stock like this, but long dated puts are a pretty good move right now.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
2402 posts
161 upvotes
Markham
porticoman wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 10:12 am

Not sure about TFSA but you can't sell naked calls in an RRSP account. I know we, RFDers, are the 1% of 1% but that's still a lot of money tied up in 1000 shares of TSLA to sell 10 covered calls.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7265 posts
3098 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 10:54 am
I don't buy cheap out of the money long dated call options (called gambling) on companies that I think are currently overvalued.

I have no choice but to buy products / use services from AAPL & GOOGL and it's nice to buy stuff from AMZN once in a while. I have a reservation for a TSLA M3 but I'm going to take my time and consider out BEVs from other manufacturers once they arrive in a year or two because I think they will cost much lower to maintain.

you don't need a moat when you're on a rocket ship lol
I dunno, I think Tesla is amazing. The car is amazing. The model 3 is incredible and a great car for the middle class and for home owners. i was bearish on tesla but after being in one, I want one.
Sep 8, 2014
637 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto, ON
daivey wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 6:22 pm
i was bearish on tesla but after being in one, I want one.
This is why Tesla will not run out of money, they make great products, existing owners turn into marketing (like me and the other Tesla owners on RFD), the products are just that good and differentiated from the competition.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18839 posts
1261 upvotes
SmartElectric wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 2:52 pm
This is why Tesla will not run out of money, they make great products, existing owners turn into marketing (like me and the other Tesla owners on RFD), the products are just that good and differentiated from the competition.
Agree. This is what the bears do not understand about this stock.

You know Tesla has a $0 budget for marketing? Zero. Nada. They don't need it, all their marketing comes from word of mouth and Elon's twitter account; they have backorders for years what do they need with marketing.

The bears like to trot out that "there is no moat". Then... why are sales of the Leaf so abysmal compared to Tesla? Because it is not a Tesla, that's why. Its not all about range; its also about quality, and style. People don't buy iPhones because they have superior stats to Android phones (they don't) or superior features (they don't) or superior apps (they don't). Yet look at what AAPL has achieved. Tesla is much the same, I liken Tesla vs Nissan/GM as Apple vs Samsung/LG. Yes, Nissan and GM will eat into Tesla's marketshare as the EV market grows.. but who cares? This market is enormous.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings