Home & Garden

So I got a Quote for Granite Kitchen Countertop Installation - Is this Quote OK ?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 1:04 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Jul 7, 2016
26 posts
2 upvotes

So I got a Quote for Granite Kitchen Countertop Installation - Is this Quote OK ?

My Kitchen counter top area is about 50 Sq. Ft. . The edge is going to be Miter edge and its included in the price, no extra charge for that.

1. The Granite - 2 cm thickness, cost is $ 50 per Sq. Ft. ( I am OK with this price as most places have the same price for that colour & type of granite )

2. The cutting of the Sink Hole, Faucet hole in the granite & Polishing the granite is $ 200 extra - Shouldn't this be included in the price ?

3. Digital measurement i.e laser measurement is another $ 100 extra - Shouldn't this be included in the price ?

4. Sink is $ 200 extra . ( Stylish & decent brand name sink )

5. Faucet is $ 140 extra ( Stylish & Nice faucet )

6. Old laminate counter removal is $ 100 . Disposal of the same is another $ 100. - Shouldn't this be included in the price ? - If not I can probably remove it myself & dispose it off.

Am I getting ripped off ? Are they charging me for stuff that should be included in the price any ways ?

I mean why am I paying extra for laser digital measurement or extra for cutting the sink hole, faucet hole & polishing of the granite ? Shouldn't this be included in the $ 50 per Sq. Ft price, that I am paying for the granite, or is that just the price of the Granite slab ?

And these things like cutting sink hole & faucet hole , polishing granite and digital measurement are always charged extra ?

I understand the extra charge for the actual faucet & Sink.

The whole thing will be around $ 3,000 + Tax .
32 replies
May 18, 2015
862 posts
180 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
ramaniagara wrote:
Jul 11th, 2016 7:13 pm
My Kitchen counter top area is about 50 Sq. Ft. . The edge is going to be Miter edge and its included in the price, no extra charge for that.

1. The Granite - 2 cm thickness, cost is $ 50 per Sq. Ft. ( I am OK with this price as most places have the same price for that colour & type of granite )

2. The cutting of the Sink Hole, Faucet hole in the granite & Polishing the granite is $ 200 extra - Shouldn't this be included in the price ?

3. Digital measurement i.e laser measurement is another $ 100 extra - Shouldn't this be included in the price ?

4. Sink is $ 200 extra . ( Stylish & decent brand name sink )

5. Faucet is $ 140 extra ( Stylish & Nice faucet )

6. Old laminate counter removal is $ 100 . Disposal of the same is another $ 100. - Shouldn't this be included in the price ? - If not I can probably remove it myself & dispose it off.

Am I getting ripped off ? Are they charging me for stuff that should be included in the price any ways ?

I mean why am I paying extra for laser digital measurement or extra for cutting the sink hole, faucet hole & polishing of the granite ? Shouldn't this be included in the $ 50 per Sq. Ft price, that I am paying for the granite, or is that just the price of the Granite slab ?

And these things like cutting sink hole & faucet hole , polishing granite and digital measurement are always charged extra ?

I understand the extra charge for the actual faucet & Sink.

The whole thing will be around $ 3,000 + Tax .
Definetely too expensive. I paid 45$ sq.ft installed including cuts, undermount sink,etc. This was for 3cm as well
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1369 posts
378 upvotes
KINGSTON
If you don't like what you have been quoted, look elsewhere.
Like many things, you start with a basic price, then it goes up from there. It would appear that you've been given a cost per square foot of material, and everything else is an "option", not unlike buying a car.

IMHO, granite countertops are way over rated. You can get amazing laminate countertops at a fraction of the cost. Put your money to use in a wiser fashion.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 7, 2016
26 posts
2 upvotes
nikels21 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2016 7:59 pm
Definetely too expensive. I paid 45$ sq.ft installed including cuts, undermount sink,etc. This was for 3cm as well
When did you install ? What was the type of granite used - Do you remember the name ?

I am in GTA, maybe the costs are higher in GTA than QC. I too was surprised they are charging extras for stuff, I thought should have been included in the price. :confused:
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4250 posts
307 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
What you are doing is educating yourself about the pricing for things by looking around. Never assume things are included unless it's actually written down there.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Oct 20, 2011
853 posts
251 upvotes
Mississauga
Granite pricing is mainly dependent on thickness and grade. Grade one generally starts at around $39.95 per sq. ft. grade 9 is generally $175.00 per sq. ft. Other factors affecting price is origin, profile, how many seams, leathering, bump outs, as well as other options.

First question I would ask is what grade of granite is it? Keep in mind that some companies, for e.g. will grade a Typhoon Bordeaux a grade 6 were as others may grade it a 5.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
22421 posts
1833 upvotes
Aurora
I would stay away from granite, it is a porous material. If you spill any thing while preparing foods it will absorb it. Granite counter tops require sealing every year, to prevent germs, bacteria and mold.

Consider getting a quartz counter top instead.
Oct 20, 2011
853 posts
251 upvotes
Mississauga
Gee wrote:
Jul 11th, 2016 9:35 pm
I would stay away from granite, it is a porous material. If you spill any thing while preparing foods it will absorb it. Granite counter tops require sealing every year, to prevent germs, bacteria and mold.

My fabricator sealed my granite 5 years ago with StoneTech BulletProof Stone Sealer and I was told it was guaranteed against stains etc for life. I've spilled wine, tomato sauce vinegar etc as recently as two weeks ago and no stain. The statement that granite needs to be sealed every year is not true if you use the right sealer. As for bacteria and mold, I clean it just as I do any countertop and don't have any bacteria or mold issues.

Edit:

As for the guarantee for life, I don't believe in any lifetime guarantee so I'll most likely seal it again my self in a couple years. The way I can tell if it needs sealing is a leave some water on the counter and if it turns darker over time, it's and indication that it's penetrating the stone.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3530 posts
424 upvotes
Aurora
Gee wrote:

Nonsense.

We've had granite in several homes, which we had installed and never sealed and we've had all sorts of things spill and sit on the counter over the years. Never a problem.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
12176 posts
2480 upvotes
Toronto
Toukolou wrote:
Jul 11th, 2016 11:01 pm
Nonsense.

We've had granite in several homes, which we had installed and never sealed and we've had all sorts of things spill and sit on the counter over the years. Never a problem.
I have the same experience. My kitchen is 20 years old, including 10 years of usage from the past owner. I have never done anything to it other than wipe it with soap and water. I cannot vouch for what the previous owner did.
Dec 17, 2007
855 posts
255 upvotes
Alliston, ON
I just got 2 smaller slabs of granite for my laundry room, about 21sq/ft total. In my search, the cheaper places seemed to charge all the extras, bringing their prices pretty much in-line with some of the "more expensive" shops. Some places charge extra to put a nicer edge profile on, while others give you a few different options than the typical rounded edge.

I ended up with a 3cm White Ice granite slab that worked out to about $47 sq/ft, from a shop in Barrie.
Aug 28, 2010
925 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Get another quote I got $50 sqft with each sink $100 extra. This included digital measuring and removal of old counter.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 7, 2016
26 posts
2 upvotes
Gee wrote:

Yeah they were trying to push the quartz on me too. They had a quartz slab already in their warehouse they wanted to get rid off :razz: They were charging me $ 65 sq ft for that > :(

What's the rate of Quartz ? Does it differ just like granite, or is it a standard rate since its man made ?
[OP]
Banned
Jul 7, 2016
26 posts
2 upvotes
MyDream1 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2016 9:39 pm
My fabricator sealed my granite 5 years ago with StoneTech BulletProof Stone Sealer and I was told it was guaranteed against stains etc for life. I've spilled wine, tomato sauce vinegar etc as recently as two weeks ago and no stain. The statement that granite needs to be sealed every year is not true if you use the right sealer. As for bacteria and mold, I clean it just as I do any countertop and don't have any bacteria or mold issues.

Edit:

As for the guarantee for life, I don't believe in any lifetime guarantee so I'll most likely seal it again my self in a couple years. The way I can tell if it needs sealing is a leave some water on the counter and if it turns darker over time, it's and indication that it's penetrating the stone.
Cool. Can you do this sealing yourself later on as the need arises or you need a fabricator to do it for you ?
Oct 20, 2011
853 posts
251 upvotes
Mississauga
ramaniagara wrote:
Jul 12th, 2016 8:26 am
What's the rate of Quartz ? Does it differ just like granite, or is it a standard rate since its man made ?
Not sure what you mean by rate, but if you're referring to pricing it generally starts just slightly higher then granite and again, they have different levels which governs the pricing. Options, profile, amoung several other factors also effect pricing.

As for the sealer, yes you can do it yourself, but you need to follow the manufactures instructions/process as a pretreatment maybe needed.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel