Home & Garden

So I got a Quote for Granite Kitchen Countertop Installation - Is this Quote OK ?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 1:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
2812 posts
511 upvotes
Ottawa
ramaniagara wrote:
Jul 11th, 2016 7:13 pm
3. Digital measurement i.e laser measurement is another $ 100 extra
WTF is this crap. It's their responsibility to measure and make it fit properly. It's not your concern how they take the template measurements. If they balls it up, they redo it. Digital templating is a tool that makes their job easier, quicker, more accurate and lower risk of error, it's their gain, not yours. The reality is that if you opt out of this option they will throw it in anyway. This is a bogus extra that you shouldn't have to pay for and for that reason alone I'd reject their quote.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2005
1232 posts
58 upvotes
if you are in markham.. I got kitchen 34sf, 3 bathrooms @ about 24sf in total in quartz with all undermount sinks for about 2700 installed
[OP]
Banned
Jul 7, 2016
26 posts
2 upvotes
The granite is just Level 1 or Grade 1 Granite so $ 50 per sq ft seems expensive to me, plus all the extras I mentioned like cutting, polishing, digital measurement etc.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 7, 2016
26 posts
2 upvotes
edvc520 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2016 10:43 am
if you are in markham.. I got kitchen 50sf, 3 bathrooms @ about 40sf in total in quartz with all undermount sinks for about 2700 installed
Wow ! 90 Sq ft total + Sinks fully installed for only $ 2,700 ! What's their name ?
Nov 30, 2011
646 posts
152 upvotes
GTA
edvc520 wrote:
if you are in markham.. I got kitchen 50sf, 3 bathrooms @ about 40sf in total in quartz with all undermount sinks for about 2700 installed
From where?
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2525 posts
365 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Here's a quote i got (not in GTA) last year for 48 square feet. Counter, kitchen sink cutout, and an island. 3cm granite
http://imgur.com/fRI2MXt

Their grade 1 was $58/sqft up to grade 7 which was $209/sqft. Includes delivery and install.
They were going to charge $370 to install a sink. But if you bought the sink from them they would waive the install fee.
And they would charge you $150 to disconnect the plumbing for your sink and reconnect it to the new one.

We went with another local place that did the same grade 1 quote for $56/sqft including delivery/install with no other fees at all even for undermounting my sink that i bought separately. so my total was 2688 + tax. I dismantled my own plumbing and removed the old countertop. Then when they were done i installed my own faucet and connected the plumbing to the new sink that they undermounted.

Another tidbit of information about quartz. A couple places in town wouldn't sell me quartz by the sqft. They sold it by the slab. So lets say a theoretical slab was about 40sqft and costv $50/sqft = $2000. They all wanted to charge me for two full slabs ($4000) for my install of 48 sqft.
Oct 20, 2011
926 posts
284 upvotes
Mississauga
edvc520 wrote:
You've raised quite a few eyebrows with a quartz quote of less than $30.00 per sq. ft installed when you include taxes and all options you've chosen. Even if tax wasn't included that's almost too good to be true as even the Kijiji installers aren't that low and there quality and installation for the low quote is sometimes questionable.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2005
1232 posts
58 upvotes
MyDream1 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2016 3:00 pm
You've raised quite a few eyebrows with a quartz quote of less than $30.00 per sq. ft installed when you include taxes and all options you've chosen. Even if tax wasn't included that's almost too good to be true as even the Kijiji installers aren't that low and there quality and installation for the low quote is sometimes questionable.
i may have exaggerated the size.. I guesstimated base on my imagination.
Let me go home at try to measure the size
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2005
1232 posts
58 upvotes
MyDream1 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2016 3:00 pm
My apologies... after measurement, 34sf of kitchen, 24sf of bathroom in quartz $2700 installed tax included with under mount sink
Feb 17, 2015
492 posts
164 upvotes
Yeah so where is this? Name and contact please
edvc520 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2016 6:30 pm
My apologies... after measurement, 34sf of kitchen, 24sf of bathroom in quartz $2700 installed tax included with under mount sink
Jun 1, 2011
394 posts
49 upvotes
Ajax
CuriousJack wrote:
Jul 12th, 2016 7:29 pm
Yeah so where is this? Name and contact please
+1.... Name and contact please
Aug 3, 2005
609 posts
238 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Jul 11th, 2016 9:35 pm
I would stay away from granite, it is a porous material. If you spill any thing while preparing foods it will absorb it. Granite counter tops require sealing every year, to prevent germs, bacteria and mold.

Consider getting a quartz counter top instead.
This is just silly.

Do not listen to this person.

I have had granite for 7 years now, and looks like the day we got it.

Parents have had some form of granite their whole life, and no issue.

Quartz is boring.
Mar 19, 2013
558 posts
154 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
ekcivichb wrote:
Jul 13th, 2016 12:59 pm
This is just silly.

Do not listen to this person.

I have had granite for 7 years now, and looks like the day we got it.

Parents have had some form of granite their whole life, and no issue.

Quartz is boring.

Totally agree. We have had our granite for 5 years. Like yours, looks as good as the day it was installed. They sold us a spray for $20, cleans & polishes, a can lasts 3 years. They actually recommended that we do not seal it.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16827 posts
1776 upvotes
GTA West
Gee wrote:
Jul 11th, 2016 9:35 pm
I would stay away from granite, it is a porous material. If you spill any thing while preparing foods it will absorb it. Granite counter tops require sealing every year, to prevent germs, bacteria and mold.

Consider getting a quartz counter top instead.
Even Quartz counter tops can be sealed. Actually, a contractor made a mistake and spilled paint on the quartz countertop at my parents' cottage. The paint was cleaned up and the quartz looked clean, but if you looked at a certain angle, you could see mark from the whole spill. That mark never came out. :mad:

Since then my parents got another quartz counter top (not in the cottage) and they seal it every year.
Toukolou wrote:
Jul 11th, 2016 11:01 pm
Nonsense.

We've had granite in several homes, which we had installed and never sealed and we've had all sorts of things spill and sit on the counter over the years. Never a problem.
I had a granite countertop for 10 years and also never sealed. I spilled all kinds of stuff like red wine, mustard, ketchup, oils, etc., and it never left a mark. Of course I was very careful to clean it all up very quickly. I also masked any areas near the range when I was cooking with a frying pan.

Actually, the manual that came with the home said that it should be sealed with carnuba wax! :facepalm: This is terrible advice because wax will seal air inside the granite, which could lead to mould growth in the porous stone.

That said, if I was getting another one installed, I would put on the sealant right after getting the undermount sink attached!
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -