Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3154 posts
528 upvotes
GTA

So I got selected for amazon vine

Never heard of this before until I opened my mail today and saw it was from amazon, at first I thought it's spam or some phishing attempt but it's actually legit. Started reading about it and it sounds great but since I just signed up I guess I have to wait a couple days to receive my first offers. Has anyone else here been in this amazon vine program? Is it worth the hassle of providing your tax info? I heard some people get sub par offers while others receive free games and even computers. It's weird because I'm not a heavy reviewer on amazon, I'm ranked around 4000 and only have about 20 reviews after 8+ years.

My main question is about the tax info they want, I don't understand the purpose.
31 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6205 posts
844 upvotes
Maybe you're going to have to report the gifts you receive as income and pay income tax on them.

I got the same offer but I'm in one of the provinces where they can't sign me up. (So why did they send me the offer?) i don't think I would have been interested anyways.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1746 posts
208 upvotes
I recently received the same invitation to Amazon Vine and I obviously accepted it without hesitation! Not sure why they picked me but I'm really happy they did. I did leave reviews on items but not that many, and most were about one paragraph long.

You have to complete some tax papers for the American IRS, but this is for Amazon in case THEY get audited. These papers are mainly to prove that you are not a US citizen.
Last edited by blakjak on Sep 3rd, 2016 9:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
10802 posts
5631 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
I think we all got selected to Amazon Vine.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3154 posts
528 upvotes
GTA
blakjak wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2016 9:12 am
I recently received the same invitation to Amazon Vine and I obviously accepted it without hesitation! Not sure why they picked me but I'm really happy they did. I did leave reviews on items but not that many, and most were about one paragraph long.

You have to complete some tax papers for the American IRS, but this is for Amazon in case THEY get audited. These papers are mainly to prove that you are not a US citizen.
Thanks, will probably add my info then. Have you gotten any decent items yet? One thing that's confusing me is that the main amazon vine page doesn't have any offers for me, does this only appear once you add the tax info? Also in the tax info did you skip the SSN portion, I see they let you not enter anything there.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1746 posts
208 upvotes
jarko wrote:
Sep 4th, 2016 11:42 am
blakjak wrote:

Thanks, will probably add my info then. Have you gotten any decent items yet? One thing that's confusing me is that the main amazon vine page doesn't have any offers for me, does this only appear once you add the tax info? Also in the tax info did you skip the SSN portion, I see they let you not enter anything there.
You will see a list of your offers only after filling the IRS tax form. You are not asked for your Canadian SSN. After you've completed the tax form, you'll see offers in Your Queue, as well as the Vine for All queue after a day or two. You have 30 days to write your review, which is plenty of time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3154 posts
528 upvotes
GTA
blakjak wrote:
Sep 4th, 2016 12:15 pm
jarko wrote:
Sep 4th, 2016 11:42 am
blakjak wrote:

You will see a list of your offers only after filling the IRS tax form. You are not asked for your Canadian SSN and Amazon does not report it as a taxable income. After you've completed the tax form, you'll see offers in Your Queue, as well as the Vine for All queue after a day or two. You have 30 days to write your review, which is plenty of time.
Actually there is a part of the tax form that asks for the ssn but you can check the option "don't have a tin number" something like that, then in the description it says TIN can be the SSN number. I guess i'm not the only one confused as I found this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanc ... ncome_tax/

This whole thing doesn't make sense if you don't technically own the products and amazon.ca does. You can't resell / or give away the items on both the usa and canadian sides. Usa amazon vine users have to pay the 30% tax from each vine item which again doesn't make sense if you technically don't own it.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1746 posts
208 upvotes
That's only if you are a U.S. citizen.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3154 posts
528 upvotes
GTA
blakjak wrote:
Sep 4th, 2016 12:25 pm
That's only if you are a U.S. citizen.
Yes just like I said "Usa amazon vine users have to pay the 30% tax from each vine item which again doesn't make sense if you technically don't own it."

Did you get anything decent from vine? or was it mostly useless crap?
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1746 posts
208 upvotes
As you are the one that selects the items you review, none of it should be useless crap...to you, anyways.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3154 posts
528 upvotes
GTA
blakjak wrote:
Sep 4th, 2016 12:39 pm
As you are the one that selects the items you review, none of it should be useless crap...to you, anyways.
Well I just signed up and all I have is offers for completely useless items. Dollar store items. That whole tax thing was a waste of time. Thanks for the info though.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1615 posts
503 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
Disclosure: I received this product for free or at a discount in return for my embellished review of this crappy product.
*Life without friends is like a garden without flowers.
*Children would be less spoiled if we were allowed to spank grandparents.
*Coffee = A liquid hug for your brain.