Cell Phones

So I take it Rogers/Fido $7 UL plan is not for HTML?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2008 12:57 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2005
1074 posts

So I take it Rogers/Fido $7 UL plan is not for HTML?

there's fine print on websites that says $7 plan is for wap only?

I just want to confirm that if i get $7 unlimited plan, i will be able to surf the net on my phone...and not black-and-white wap pages?

Because Rogers/Fido started offering $7 data plan to compete with Bell/Telus, but they also limited to wap only

(and yes, i know PDA/WM6/BlackBerry/SmartPhones are not allowed for this plan, i just wanted to make sure that for those phones are it is allowed, its not limited to WAP only)
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2397 posts
575 upvotes
PM - VK3Q69
wap only
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2005
1074 posts
o0vL wrote: wap only
Merci.

So what happens if i visit a website where i am not sure if its wap or not?
I mean...lets say i went to www.break.com on my phone right now while having $7 plan.
What would happen? It would tell me i cant go there? or let me go there but charge me $5259.92 for few minutes of watching?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
AirForceElite wrote: Merci.

So what happens if i visit a website where i am not sure if its wap or not?
I mean...lets say i went to www.break.com on my phone right now while having $7 plan.
What would happen? It would tell me i cant go there? or let me go there but charge me $5259.92 for few minutes of watching?
The latter.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
6553 posts
605 upvotes
Toronto
this whole unlimited surfing is a sham.... I don't see the point of WAP surfing.... maybe a few years ago it was neat but these days it's almost useless.
RFD + ME = POOR
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2005
1074 posts
jamgyu wrote: this whole unlimited surfing is a sham.... I don't see the point of WAP surfing.... maybe a few years ago it was neat but these days it's almost useless.
Yeah, somehow it just doesn't look that nice.

Sure, we get blazing speeds with 3G network and can download at WHOAZOMG speeds....but whats the point?

Whats the point if i can download something really fast, but will end up selling my kidney?

Surfing wap just seems soooooo 2002. I understand that Rogers/Fido is trying to somehow compete with Bell/Telus, but this is just slap in the face.
Bell/Telus don't limit you on wap pages.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2005
1074 posts
so to further discuss wap vs full HTML.

what if i upload a picture to www.tinypic.com on my PC.

then i take a rogers phone (regular phone...not BB/smartphone or anything) with $7 UL data plan and manually type in the URL of the picture i uploaded minute ago.

i would get charged for that at $0.05/kb?