Food & Drink

So I've solved a great mystery of the sushi AYCE way!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2007 4:22 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 24, 2007
662 posts
Markham

So I've solved a great mystery of the sushi AYCE way!

Once upon the time, over the thanksgiving break, I had another chance to attend an AYCE Sushi bar, Home Made Japanese Restaurant, found near Warden and 16th Avenue (16th and Lockridge). The food isn't the greatest (sometimes there's fish scales on the salmon > :( ), nor is the service the best, but it has free specialty drinks, which is a + for me cause I can down 8-10$ worth of fruit slushes and red bean ice cream drinks per night (about 3 drinks)

Now, the main point of the story is that I ordered 40 pieces of salmon sashimi, 20 pieces of snapper, and 10 white tuna? for two people. The waitress blinked at me sorta funny, but i made clear sure that she heard the numbers right.

Lo and bhold, 30 pieces of salmon, ~15 snapper (it was a rose shape, so i didn't count) and about 8 tuna pieces. To be fair, the pieces of the sashimi were thumb-sized width, and pretty good sized

Now, we all know that @ an AYCE sushi bar, you NEVER ever get your exact number of sashimi pieces requested. order 50, get 40. order 100, get 70. etc, etc.

The reason? When they have a chunk of salmon, or other fish, they view the chunk as about, say, 20 pieces. so it doesn't matter if they cut that chunk into 10 larger than normal slices, or even 40 cube sized chunks of sashimi!

Shortened version: When you order a large amount sashimi pieces, if you got shortchanged a few, check to see if the pieces you got were larger than usual!

...The end. :D
4 replies
Aug 23, 2003
796 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
stop wasting the internet.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
1182 posts
62 upvotes
the real "shortchange" is when they bring duplicates of cheaper stuff and we are forced to eat it instead of the sashimi which are slower to arrive. It was like that for me at Yang's last weekend.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5438 posts
80 upvotes
Sydney
If you like to gab, then GAB (get a blog).