Automotive

So many modded up cars on Autotrader - do they really sell?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2005 3:20 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
3828 posts
199 upvotes
Calgary

So many modded up cars on Autotrader - do they really sell?

Some of the older cars ask for thousands more. How many of them actually sell, and if they do actually get anything close to what they're asking for?

Some mods add value, but overall it's a bad image to project to possible buyers. Would you consider one that's done up or tinkered with?
17 replies
Aug 29, 2002
543 posts
3 upvotes
Markham
It's understandable that people will start asking at a higher price then lower it as time goes on.

Autotrader prices are IMHO higher.

As for buying a modded car, even though I mod my own car and it runs wonderfully, I personally wouldn't buy one.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6718 posts
53 upvotes
yeah, most people like to buy their cars at stock and mod it the way they want. There's more satisfaction having it customized and personalized the way you want than buying something already done up. Most people are picky about what they want on their ride. anyway, those cars would only sell to young guys probably who don't know how to mod.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:
Jul 4, 2005
262 posts
4 upvotes
Markham
I would say that half the fun of suping up your car is in the personal process of selecting the parts your want and installing it yourself if possible. If you're buying a car with everything already done, there's no point.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
3450 posts
400 upvotes
Oakville
I would definitely not buy a modded car, for me, its that a modded car almost definitely equals that it was driven hard, so more wear and tear.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4272 posts
65 upvotes
To answer your question, modded cars almost always sell for below what they would if the car was stock. The only exceptions are if engine work has been done or new wheels have been purchased.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2003
2615 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
Mods usually decrease the car's value when it's time to sell. So probaly better to put it back to all stock. I personally would not buy a modded car, because of the "abuse" factor invovled. Who would mod a car and not test out the performance? :)
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14332 posts
100 upvotes
Mississauga
Is it true that insurance companies don't cover modded cars, if in accident?
I heard that in Toronto once...
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Banned
Jul 25, 2005
240 posts
1 upvote
mlc2000 wrote:Is it true that insurance companies don't cover modded cars, if in accident?
Yes it's actually true.. depending on what the mod is and which insurance company.

I was talking to my broker a few months ago about it...
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1447 upvotes
Pickering
mlc2000 wrote:Is it true that insurance companies don't cover modded cars, if in accident?
Yes, it is true. However some mods don't make the car more likely to belong in an accident, even though your insurance would be likely to claim that.

If I put a K & N filter, that doesn't really add horsepower, it's cheaper to clean that filter than it is to buy new ones all the time. If I change my rims and tires and add performance brakes, my car will perform better in the corners and stop better.

Any insurance company that tries to back out of paying me what I deserve is going to be sorry, unless they can prove that I am wrong and they are right. A lot of people just accept their crap, but I won't.

I have a contract, and if they don't honour their part, I will see them in court. Unless they specify the exact things that would cause your car not to be covered, they are SOL. If you didn't go to the dealer and have the same crappy tires/shock/springs/sparkplugs/air filter/window that was originally in your car, technically that could be a modification as well.

So they need to specify, or draw the line so to speak. They can't say nothing and then when an accident occurs, say that you crossed the unspecified line located in the gray area.

Insurance Bureau of Canada is your friend. They have rectified many situations with jus one little phonecall to the offending insurance company.
Jun 3, 2005
191 posts
Thornhill
What about Comfort or luxury mods, like, Adding an LCD TV to the headrest or adding an onboard computer with navigation system. If you're savvy enough to do the work yourself on buying and installing the electronics, can't you make money on your investment when its time to sell?
- It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity -Albert Einstein
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
2584 posts
179 upvotes
Brampton
Impossibles wrote:To answer your question, modded cars almost always sell for below what they would if the car was stock. The only exceptions are if engine work has been done or new wheels have been purchased.
Nonsense, if im going to spend 10k modding my car im not gonna sell it for less then its worth stock, thats just how the average joe sees it.
Obviously the key is to sell it another car enthusiast, and he'll pay what its worth stock plus around %50 of the money invested in mods.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2107 posts
311 upvotes
Homeo wrote:What about Comfort or luxury mods, like, Adding an LCD TV to the headrest or adding an onboard computer with navigation system. If you're savvy enough to do the work yourself on buying and installing the electronics, can't you make money on your investment when its time to sell?
Other than the obvious classics, cars are not investments. They are declining assets. They are probably one of the worst places to spend large amounts of money, including luxury mods.

The only way to get people to get someone to pay more for a modded car is to get lucky and find someone who wants the mods. That really limits the range of potential buyers and even if they did pay more, they wouldn't factor in labour cost to install and probably only give you less than 20% on your dollar. i.e. that $1000 stereo may get you $200 more on the price of the car. More often, they are looking at that $1000 stereo as a deal breaker. i.e. there are two equal cars for the same value, one has the cool stereo, so they buy the one with the cool stereo for the same price.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2003
2015 posts
42 upvotes
I would not purchase a modded car simply for the fact that 'it's not mine'.

You'll roll down the street with your new ride but people have already identified it with the previous owner... who might have been a jackass ;)
Apr 27, 2004
319 posts
3 upvotes
I mod and love autos and I believe some have value only to a certain extent.. It is a hobby and a expensive one since im a car enthuasust(sp)..It all depends on your target and age group.