[OP]
Sep 15, 2018
7 posts

So unhappy.

Hey,
I've always had issues making friends, I just didn't know how to socialize when I was young. This played a huge part in my decision to stay at home during university, and to commute to school. I am now in my third year of school, just started, and I am incredibly unhappy. I see the few friends I have having what seems to be the times of their lives living at school, having these incredibly experiences, while I'm doing nothing. I've considered transferring to a school where I'd live on/near campus, though I don't know if that would make sense, as I'd likely lose this semester of school when transferring credits, and I am almost done. I'm also considering doing a semester or year abroad, which also may give me that experience while also giving me the experience of living abroad. For context, I live in Toronto, and go to school in downtown Toronto. There are student residences available near my school, however they are very expensive, and I don't know if I could get the experience I want, in a big city. I was leaning pretty heavily towards transferring, however now I'm realizing that I'd be in 3rd year, and will likely have a very hard time making friends - which I'd need to have those experiences I want - as everyone has already solidified into groups.
I am definitely fixating on this issue, and cannot relax or get it off of my mind, until I feel like it's "resolved". Please help, I'm desperate, and so depressed.
19 replies
Sep 29, 2014
193 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto, ON
CommutingKills wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 12:30 pm
Hey,
I've always had issues making friends, I just didn't know how to socialize when I was young. This played a huge part in my decision to stay at home during university, and to commute to school. I am now in my third year of school, just started, and I am incredibly unhappy. I see the few friends I have having what seems to be the times of their lives living at school, having these incredibly experiences, while I'm doing nothing. I've considered transferring to a school where I'd live on/near campus, though I don't know if that would make sense, as I'd likely lose this semester of school when transferring credits, and I am almost done. I'm also considering doing a semester or year abroad, which also may give me that experience while also giving me the experience of living abroad. For context, I live in Toronto, and go to school in downtown Toronto. There are student residences available near my school, however they are very expensive, and I don't know if I could get the experience I want, in a big city. I was leaning pretty heavily towards transferring, however now I'm realizing that I'd be in 3rd year, and will likely have a very hard time making friends - which I'd need to have those experiences I want - as everyone has already solidified into groups.
I am definitely fixating on this issue, and cannot relax or get it off of my mind, until I feel like it's "resolved". Please help, I'm desperate, and so depressed.
There isn't any point in transferring schools for the same program in our 3rd/4th year of university. I would look into exchange options and complete your education. Have you considered pursuing graduate or professional school after your undergrad? Residence and on-campus life is mainly reserved for first year students. Most upper year students at even the non-commuter schools commute or live in off-campus housing. If you want to live in residence, then you'll primarily be surrounded by first year undergraduate students.

To be honest with you, I have many friends that went to Ryerson and UTSG and had the time of their lives. You're in the downtown Toronto core attending a school of tens of thousands of students. If you can't make the environment work in your favour, then the problem may just lie in your mentality. At this point in time, you can always move out of Toronto for work or graduate/professional school. You can travel as well.
Jan 8, 2009
675 posts
306 upvotes
GTA
I would highly recommend visiting a 'What's Up' clinic. There are two downtown and fairly close to the university: http://www.skylarkyouth.org/what-we-do/ ... n-clinics/ - they serve youth up to the age of 25 and offer an hour long counselling session on a walk-in basis with additional help/services offered as needed. They can help with your depression and may be able to help regarding some of the socializing and fixating issues. Once you deal with those things, you can consider doing an exchange or joining clubs, etc. It's never too late to make friends and friend groups are not as solidified as you might think.
[OP]
Sep 15, 2018
7 posts
I have considered an exchange, I'm considering that too. I think it's a pretty good option, cause I don't need to worry about transfer credits or anything. And I'm not looking to live in res, I know that's for first years, I understand that I'd be living off-campus. I've heard a lot of people say that, that if I can't have fun in downtown Toronto then the issue is with me, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've tried to make friends, tried to do things and have fun, and it's just not working. I feel like I'm wasting this time of my life. and as I'm doing political science (no jobs, I know), I'm planning on going to grad school. And definitely planning on leaving the city for that. I'm very unhappy with my current situation, and just trying to figure out the best way to do that while I still can.
Mar 5, 2012
235 posts
62 upvotes
Midland
CommutingKills wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 7:45 pm
I have considered an exchange, I'm considering that too. I think it's a pretty good option, cause I don't need to worry about transfer credits or anything. And I'm not looking to live in res, I know that's for first years, I understand that I'd be living off-campus. I've heard a lot of people say that, that if I can't have fun in downtown Toronto then the issue is with me, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've tried to make friends, tried to do things and have fun, and it's just not working. I feel like I'm wasting this time of my life. and as I'm doing political science (no jobs, I know), I'm planning on going to grad school. And definitely planning on leaving the city for that. I'm very unhappy with my current situation, and just trying to figure out the best way to do that while I still can.
Do you have any interests? Hobbies?

Try to join some clubs, maybe some co-ed casual sport. These are great ways to meet people and learn some socializing habits. Keep things simple and don't worry about other people's "incredible experiences."
Jan 8, 2009
675 posts
306 upvotes
GTA
CommutingKills wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 7:45 pm
How do you think an exchange is going to solve the problem without dealing with the underlying issues? Are you looking for a new start? Do you feel like you have the skills/abilities to walk into a new situation and make friends? You mentioned having trouble socializing. That's not suddenly going to resolve itself. I really do think you should seek out some counselling so you can move forward and have more positive experiences. The nice thing about that 'What's Up' clinic that I mentioned is that it's both walk-in and doesn't require an ongoing commitment. You have your one hour counselling session during which you tell them about your issues and they offer you some tools and suggestions for resolving them. Unless part of those tools/suggestions is ongoing counselling or medication (in which case you need to see your own doctor), you don't need to go back or at least not go back for a month or two. I know people who have seen them for depression and for anxiety (separate cases) and for both they were able to make a huge difference.
[OP]
Sep 15, 2018
7 posts
I really will look into that, I'm in a pretty low place right now. It's like, I keep looking forward for things to get better, I don't expect life to be perfect right off the bat. I know it takes time. And I've become way better at socializing, but I don't know. I have no friends. Like I don't have one true friend that I know I can rely on, that I know likes me, and wants me around, that I know will look out for me. It's lonely, and difficult. I'm usually fine with it, I'm used to being alone, but sometimes it just gets to me.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2617 posts
530 upvotes
Edmonton
CommutingKills wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 10:15 pm
I really will look into that, I'm in a pretty low place right now. It's like, I keep looking forward for things to get better, I don't expect life to be perfect right off the bat. I know it takes time. And I've become way better at socializing, but I don't know. I have no friends. Like I don't have one true friend that I know I can rely on, that I know likes me, and wants me around, that I know will look out for me. It's lonely, and difficult. I'm usually fine with it, I'm used to being alone, but sometimes it just gets to me.
Time to grab life by the horns. Looking forward for things to get better is the same as you sitting in the back of the bus just letting someone else do all the driving.
Either give up now and forever be alone or do something about it.

You didn't answer the other post. Do you have skills, hobbies??

Maybe university isn't for you? It sure wasn't for me that's for sure.

There's always clubs on campus. You can meet people there, meet people at the gym. Go out there and talk to people.

You sound like you have low self esteem. Hit the weights, do exercise, feel good about yourself.

Also you don't need good friends. As long as you have some acquaintances you can slowly move up. There will be some parties, you will meet.more people and it will grow and grow. It's hard to go to a club or bar all alone, but with 1 more person it changed everything. Also alcohol is liquid courage. Remember that.

I may have people disagree with me here, but friends and the people you meet are more important than the grades you get at school. So rember, C's get degrees, alcohol helps you get friends
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
[OP]
Sep 15, 2018
7 posts
I definitely do have skills and hobbies, and have joined some groups and clubs on campus that have to do with those things but I still didn't find what I was looking for. I feel as though I really put myself out there and tried to make friends and good experiences, and that didn't happen. I'm insecure in the sense of my social skills, but not really my appearance, I already to hit the gym and stuff. I'm interested in going out and drinking, and I've done that like twice in my whole school career. So I know that alcohol is liquid courage, but I can't find anyone that wants to partake in that stuff with me.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6911 posts
3919 upvotes
Edmonton
No offence, but I think your issues/problems/unhappiness are just going to follow you wherever you go, until you deal with the root causes. Changing geography is rarely a solution.

C
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5492 posts
3062 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Go try out Toastmasters
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1294 posts
558 upvotes
CommutingKills wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 9:59 am
I definitely do have skills and hobbies, and have joined some groups and clubs on campus that have to do with those things but I still didn't find what I was looking for. I feel as though I really put myself out there and tried to make friends and good experiences, and that didn't happen. I'm insecure in the sense of my social skills, but not really my appearance, I already to hit the gym and stuff. I'm interested in going out and drinking, and I've done that like twice in my whole school career. So I know that alcohol is liquid courage, but I can't find anyone that wants to partake in that stuff with me.
So what is it that you are looking for? When you say that you put yourself out there, can you be more specific with some examples.

Its actually the social skills part that is more important than the physical appearance when making connections and forming friendships. If you are looking for friends and experiences. Alcohol can lessen your guard and loosen you up, but seldomly does it end up in long lasting friendships. It takes time and effort to initially build friendships. Going out once or twice isn't enough, its about finding connections, common interests. It starts with just doing some fun activities.

I don't think moving schools is the answer, most likely joining more activities, meeting new classmates. I found it didn't matter the year I was in (many years ago), I had found new people to do things with every year. In fact, my closest friends where in my final year as the first two years people were dropping out, moving on. Don't despair, but you just need figure what is working or no.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3874 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think changing schools will help necessarily, but not living at home might. It's one thing to have events in your calendar, but for me at least a lot of the university experience was just being around campus and around people. Living in residence or nearby off campus with other students, just being there when someone asks who wants to grab a drink or go for a drive or go play football outside at 11pm when it's snowing. If you're only there for class and planned events, and your default is to "go home" once it's over, you do miss out on the spontaneity. In my opinion that's when you get to know people, not at official networking sessions.

It really depends on the person, but I'm naturally introverted and I know if I'd had the option of living with my parents during university, the temptation for me would be to just go home and stay at home once my last class was over. Simple things like just running errands, using the shared laundry facilities in the building made me feel like part of the student community, doing things that everyone else was doing rather than just letting my parents take care of things like I was still in high school (which is probably what would have happened if I didn't "move away" for university).
[OP]
Sep 15, 2018
7 posts
Manatus wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 11:11 am
I don't think changing schools will help necessarily, but not living at home might. It's one thing to have events in your calendar, but for me at least a lot of the university experience was just being around campus and around people. Living in residence or nearby off campus with other students, just being there when someone asks who wants to grab a drink or go for a drive or go play football outside at 11pm when it's snowing. If you're only there for class and planned events, and your default is to "go home" once it's over, you do miss out on the spontaneity. In my opinion that's when you get to know people, not at official networking sessions.

It really depends on the person, but I'm naturally introverted and I know if I'd had the option of living with my parents during university, the temptation for me would be to just go home and stay at home once my last class was over. Simple things like just running errands, using the shared laundry facilities in the building made me feel like part of the student community, doing things that everyone else was doing rather than just letting my parents take care of things like I was still in high school (which is probably what would have happened if I didn't "move away" for university).
I go to school in Toronto, so even the "student" housing around campus is crazy expensive. Moving school would mean that I could afford to live around campus, with other students, I can't really do that in the city. I want that experience, I'm just worried that if I transfer now I won't make friends because everyone has already made their friends, and I'm just gonna be alone somewhere else.
[OP]
Sep 15, 2018
7 posts
Macx2mommy wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 10:30 am
So what is it that you are looking for? When you say that you put yourself out there, can you be more specific with some examples.

Its actually the social skills part that is more important than the physical appearance when making connections and forming friendships. If you are looking for friends and experiences. Alcohol can lessen your guard and loosen you up, but seldomly does it end up in long lasting friendships. It takes time and effort to initially build friendships. Going out once or twice isn't enough, its about finding connections, common interests. It starts with just doing some fun activities.

I don't think moving schools is the answer, most likely joining more activities, meeting new classmates. I found it didn't matter the year I was in (many years ago), I had found new people to do things with every year. In fact, my closest friends where in my final year as the first two years people were dropping out, moving on. Don't despair, but you just need figure what is working or no.
I've joined clubs that I'm interested in, and have some friends on campus, and I've gone out with them a couple of times, a lot during frosh in first year. I know that the issue is with me, and not "the world", that other people commute to school and have super awesome experiences, but I'm trying to acknowledge that I'm not the type of person that can have a super great social life while not being immersed in the environment, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to remedy that. Either an exchange abroad for a semester next year, or completely switching schools for my last 2 years. I don't want to let my sadness get me down, I really just want to find a way to make it better. I know that going out once or twice isn't enough, I'm saying that that's all that I've been able to manage, in my 2 years at school. Something's gotta give, I just don't know what.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)