• Jan 20th, 2018 7:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1079 posts
273 upvotes

So what is your GOTY and GOTG so far?

So what is your GOTY and GOTG so far?

For game of the year I am going to go with a darkhorse pick, Nier Automata. There is simply no other game that does what this game does. It's the kind of story that could only be experienced in a video game. Reminds me a bit of Asura's Wrath, perhaps not as crazy and over the top but the high points are every bit as insane, epic and intense. Youtuber Skillup called this game a masterpiece. Jim Sterling said that if history goes on to forget about this game then **** history. Mic drop.

For Game of this generation, I am going to go with Bloodborne. I do not particularly enjoy difficult games. I never played the Dark Souls games and I didn't really enjoy the brief amount of time I played of Demon Souls back on the PS3 but my God has bloodborne consumed my life! The atmosphere, art style, combat all of it. It's just so damn good! From the very first monster you face, you feel like an 80 pound weakling and when you finally beat him you realize that he wasn't a boss but just a regular mob lol! Every challenge you face feels impossible to overcome... until you do. Until you come back and beat these monsters that you once considered a God because you are now wrecking face and feel like a God yourself after leveling up only to have another Monster waiting around the corner to prove how wrong you are lol. I had an itch to play Nioh but decided to jump into Bloodborne since I had previously picked it up on sale and I am glad I did.

*Only one choice per person. That is what makes this excercise more difficult and interesting.
95 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5959 posts
2097 upvotes
Toronto
This Generation: The Witcher 3

2017 GOTY: BOTW
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2127 posts
225 upvotes
I find it very unlikely anything will contest Breath of the Wild this year. Love to be proven wrong though. "Generation" is a really ambiguous term for someone that primarily plays on PC/Nintendo, but BotW might steal that too, although Bloodborne and Witcher 3 are contenders.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6489 posts
1537 upvotes
2017 Game of the Year:
Persona 5 so far
Zelda 2nd.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5959 posts
2097 upvotes
Toronto
Ascott wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 9:46 pm
I find it very unlikely anything will contest Breath of the Wild this year. Love to be proven wrong though. "Generation" is a really ambiguous term for someone that primarily plays on PC/Nintendo, but BotW might steal that too, although Bloodborne and Witcher 3 are contenders.

The thing that makes games like BOTW and TW3 so good and tough to top is that they're testaments to what's possible when a developer isn't shackled to crazy publisher demands. These games spent at least 4-5 years if not longer in development while other publishers are churning out games on 1-3 years cycles.
Feb 7, 2014
181 posts
78 upvotes
Kitchener
Persona 5 is amazing
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5024 posts
716 upvotes
calgary
Breath of the Wild in both instances, I feel like I played a lot of good games this generation but that game is on another level.

Im interested in trying out Neir: Automata though, its not something I would normally give a chance but it looks real cool and Ive been hearing a lot of great things about it. The problem is once I got my switch Ive had a difficult time playing anything on any other system.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5959 posts
2097 upvotes
Toronto
You guys ever find questions like this unfairly skewed towards one genre or style of game? When you're asked to pick 1 game, how can you not pick something like BOTW, TW3, Bloodborne ect?
I don't know where I'm going with this, just thinking out loud. I just find it interesting that there are other games this generation that are equal feats in their respective genre but no one holds those games in the same regard as whatever 100 hour open world adventure RPG. Games like Uncharted 4, Rocket League, DOOM, BF4, DIRT Rally, Assetto Corsa ect, all arguably the best achievements in their genre this generation, but it's as if shooters, indies, racing games or basically anything that isn't a 100 RPG isn't relevant in discussions like these.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5024 posts
716 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 10:47 am
You guys ever find questions like this unfairly skewed towards one genre or style of game? When you're asked to pick 1 game, how can you not pick something like BOTW, TW3, Bloodborne ect?
I don't know where I'm going with this, just thinking out loud. I just find it interesting that there are other games this generation that are equal feats in their respective genre but no one holds those games in the same regard as whatever 100 hour open world adventure RPG. Games like Uncharted 4, Rocket League, DOOM, BF4, DIRT Rally, Assetto Corsa ect, all arguably the best achievements in their genre this generation, but it's as if shooters, indies, racing games or basically anything that isn't a 100 RPG isn't relevant in discussions like these.
Peoples game of the year and GOTG will Skew to what there preference of genre is, Im no longer a fan of 100 hour RPG's and most games like TW3, Fallout, DA, ME wouldnt even end up in my top 5 for a year let alone in the GOTG discussion but that is a testament to how good and varied Zelda is and how much it offers to people that are fans of different things.

If you asked me this question before Zelda came out it would have gone to Doom.

I think if anything multiplayer titles get shafted in this category, Ive played countless hours of Halo 5, Rocket League, Overwatch and Titanfall this generation but for some reason when this discussion comes around I often tend not to include them or knock them down several notchs. In fact Halo 5 would be a front runner for game of the generation if I strictly looked at the multiplayer.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5959 posts
2097 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 11:00 am
I think if anything multiplayer titles get shafted in this category, Ive played countless hours of Halo 5, Rocket League, Overwatch and Titanfall this generation but for some reason when this discussion comes around I often tend not to include them or knock them down several notchs. In fact Halo 5 would be a front runner for game of the generation if I strictly looked at the multiplayer.
Definitely guilty of this as well. If I was to base the decision on most hours played, the game I go back to between the single player games that end, then Rocket League wins by a mile. For whatever reason I normally wouldn't bring this or other MP games up in a discussion like this either. I guess in the back of my mind I realize even though it's fun and addictive, it's kind of a simple repetitive gameplay loop and not comparable to something that's trying to impress you with different experiences from start to finish. I don't know, again just thinking out loud

Curious to see answers from people who don't play or care for open world RPGs
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7947 posts
892 upvotes
Victoria
Horizon Zero Dawn

To be fair it's the only new game i've played so far this year but I love it. I'm about to start ME:A next, and given the reviews I'll play Neir after that.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1707 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't beat any 2017 releases yet. I think it will come down between Zelda, Horizon and Persona 5.

As a previous poster mentioned, the term generation is pretty ambiguous unlike the past. Would GTA 5 or The Last of Us be considered last-gen games? If that's the case I will pick Uncharted 4 or Rocket League.
Nov 28, 2011
758 posts
269 upvotes
Markham
So far (as of May 3rd)?

Nioh

(close second is Nier Automata and Zelda BOTW)

Was hoping Mass Effect would be better than it is, since I'm a huge huge fan of the series. ah well

Game of the Generation - easily Witcher 3