151 posts
156 upvotes
GOTY: Zelda (Persona 5 close second)
GOTG: Rocket League (easily)
Oct 16, 2007
472 posts
96 upvotes
Both - MLB The Show 2017

I am almost finished Horizon. Enjoy it very much but The Show, while always good and only updated each year.. This year is the pinnacle. There's some issues but it's the video game baseball I dreamed of as a kid. It's just that good of a representation of baseball that it's my vote.

I have not played botw, nier or persona
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1107 posts
292 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 7:01 pm
This Generation: The Witcher 3

2017 GOTY: BOTW
I figured that this would be the majority consensus answer. What's cool about The Witcher 3 is that CD Projekt RED was literally a buch of guys working out of their garage (so to speak) that knew nothing about making a video game other than that they wanted to make a game and they ended up giving us one of the best RPG series in history. How cool is that? Add in the Blood and WIne expansion DLC which could easily have been called TW4 while other companies are nickel and diming you for every little thing, it's hard not to fall in love with this company.
Ascott wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 9:46 pm
I find it very unlikely anything will contest Breath of the Wild this year. Love to be proven wrong though. "Generation" is a really ambiguous term for someone that primarily plays on PC/Nintendo, but BotW might steal that too, although Bloodborne and Witcher 3 are contenders.
Well video game generations usually coincide with console releases which in this case would put the current generation from the end of 2013 to present date with the release of the PS4 and Xbox One.
ReeGee wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 10:47 am
You guys ever find questions like this unfairly skewed towards one genre or style of game? When you're asked to pick 1 game, how can you not pick something like BOTW, TW3, Bloodborne ect?
I don't know where I'm going with this, just thinking out loud. I just find it interesting that there are other games this generation that are equal feats in their respective genre but no one holds those games in the same regard as whatever 100 hour open world adventure RPG. Games like Uncharted 4, Rocket League, DOOM, BF4, DIRT Rally, Assetto Corsa ect, all arguably the best achievements in their genre this generation, but it's as if shooters, indies, racing games or basically anything that isn't a 100 RPG isn't relevant in discussions like these.
Well the way I see it is since there are so many games it would be too easy to make say a top 10 or top 3 list and just name all the good games. For example DOOM was my GOTY last year and deserves to be on peoples top 10 but if someone was to ask you if you were on a deserted island and could only pick one game which game would it be? That's a much harder question but that's a whole other can of worms.

I put 70+ hours into Nier Automata, HZD and BOTW. That's pretty good bang for your buck.
LightYagami wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 2:45 pm
GOTY: Zelda (Persona 5 close second)
GOTG: Rocket League (easily)
I have not played a single game of Rocket League yet despite owning it on PC and PS4 lol. I can see the appeal of this game and how addictive it can be. I played Starsiege Tribes and Diablo 2 for nearly a decade. I can see Rocket League having that same type pf lasting power. Simple to pick up and play.

Quick shout out to Disc Jam which was free with PS+. I don't know if there's a ranking system but it was quite clear that the other person I was matched against didn't know how to play either so it was quite funny to see us trying to figure out the controls. Tons of depth in that game. Hope to pick up a few matches when I have more time.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6635 posts
1618 upvotes
The argument against The Witcher 3 is the weaker combat system.
In contrast, the combat system is why Bloodborne is liked so much, not because of its deep story or character interactions
(many of the sidestories and side characters can be missed in Bloodborne unless you go to very specific places and do very specific things).

The argument against Zelda BotW is the weak story presentation style and its technical issues.
BotW's slowdowns and framerate issues are nowhere near as bad as something choppy like Skyrim on PS3 but it is still an issue that has to be considered.

With Uncharted 4, it is not as well paced as Uncharted 2 despite it being one of the best games of the generation.
ReeGee wrote:
You guys ever find questions like this unfairly skewed towards one genre or style of game? When you're asked to pick 1 game, how can you not pick something like BOTW, TW3, Bloodborne ect?
I don't know where I'm going with this, just thinking out loud. I just find it interesting that there are other games this generation that are equal feats in their respective genre but no one holds those games in the same regard as whatever 100 hour open world adventure RPG. Games like Uncharted 4, Rocket League, DOOM, BF4, DIRT Rally, Assetto Corsa ect, all arguably the best achievements in their genre this generation, but it's as if shooters, indies, racing games or basically anything that isn't a 100 RPG isn't relevant in discussions like these.
I don't find Rocket League that fun for local or online multiplayer experiences.
There are a lot of other games I rather go to for local or online multiplayer play sessions.

Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2102 posts
590 upvotes
Edmonton
BotW for sure.

I love Zelda games and this one is the GOAT. It's completely justified my Wii U purchase.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2004
2193 posts
415 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
I am undoubtedly biased towards RPGs, but there are definitely times when I'd choose a game from a different genre for GOTY. Thinking of COD4:MW, for instance, which was definitely my GOTY in 2007. I guess it's harder for something like a FPS or sports sim to be fresh, right? FIFA20XX will probably never win GOTY.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6182 posts
2256 upvotes
Toronto
Vertigo wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 9:41 pm
Thinking of COD4:MW, for instance, which was definitely my GOTY in 2007.
That was an insane year. No doubt MW was amazing for multiplayer but I think I would've went with Bioshock, Crysis or Mario Galaxy for 2007
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2004
2193 posts
415 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
May 4th, 2017 12:00 pm
That was an insane year. No doubt MW was amazing for multiplayer but I think I would've went with Bioshock, Crysis or Mario Galaxy for 2007
Yeah, can't argue against you there. And none of those were RPGs either. Looking again, Portal, TF2, and HL2:Ep2 came out that year too. Seriously, such a crazy year.
Jun 20, 2016
57 posts
112 upvotes
Crazy year, am tempted to say BF1 but I think GOTY has to go to Total War: Warhammer

It's the game that has opened up that entire complex genre to the casual gamer, battles are insanely fun
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7219 posts
1016 upvotes
For me, Witcher 3. It has an adult theme to its story and it balances real life human interaction with a fantasy setting really well.

Stuff like Zelda games and lower end looking games I cant really consider for top spot just because they automatically fail in the looks department, in terms of realism, but everyone has different tastes. I can play nintendo games, but I dont consider them top notch in every category across an entire decade for that simple fact alone. In terms of story or game play, definitely, but never in the looks department.

Its also crucial to define the TYPE of genre for the "best game" because you cant compare something like Skyrim to an FPS or an RTS game to begin with.

I loved Horizon New Dawn for example, and its main plot point of the story was amazing, but i found the side quests to be extremely and utterly "meh". By comparison, in Witcher 3, saving someone getting attacked by wolves at random, can later in the game reveal that you ended up saving a killer, and to repay you, he's slayed multiple victims to get money to give to you as a thanks, and thats a random side quest you may never even stumble upon if you dont explore).

I cant see Zelda having such twists and turns in its script, especially since its aimed at a younger audience.

I also loved Max Payne for example, the first time an FPS introduced bullet time, right after The Matrix came out as well, and it had an amazing script for an FPS, arguably still one of the best if not the best in that regard.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5035 posts
733 upvotes
calgary
Buggy166 wrote:
May 7th, 2017 11:02 pm
Stuff like Zelda games and lower end looking games I cant really consider for top spot just because they automatically fail in the looks department, in terms of realism, but everyone has different tastes. I can play nintendo games, but I dont consider them top notch in every category across an entire decade for that simple fact alone. In terms of story or game play, definitely, but never in the looks department.
It may not have realism going for it but Zelda has such an incredible art style that I think it actually elevates the entire game for me.
Its such a beautiful and interesting world to explore.

The overarching story definitely is extremely by the numbers and leaves something to be desired though
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3230 posts
2145 upvotes
What does GOTG stand for?

Even google doesn't know this acronym :(
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6182 posts
2256 upvotes
Toronto
Buggy166 wrote:
May 7th, 2017 11:02 pm
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
May 8th, 2017 10:14 am
It may not have realism going for it but Zelda has such an incredible art style that I think it actually elevates the entire game for me.
Its such a beautiful and interesting world to explore.
This is more an issue with the hardware than the game itself. If it was possible to play this game on competent hardware that could run it at 1080p/4K and 60fps it would absolutely hold up against the best looking games right now. The art style and world design is incredible, it's just tough to appreciate that design when the most detailed best looking areas are running at 20FPS and aliased to death.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5035 posts
733 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote:
May 8th, 2017 10:51 am
This is more an issue with the hardware than the game itself. If it was possible to play this game on competent hardware that could run it at 1080p/4K and 60fps it would absolutely hold up against the best looking games right now. The art style and world design is incredible, it's just tough to appreciate that design when the most detailed best looking areas are running at 20FPS and aliased to death.
I guess we'll agree to disagree here, I had zero problems appreciating the art style and took a ton of screenshots throughout of the game of beautiful colorful landscapes. Could it have looked and ran better on more powerful hardware? Sure but given its hardware limitations I think it stands up there and in some cases surpasses other open world games largely because of its art style.

But I guess a lot of that comes down to standards. I guess one of the nice things about me not really getting caught up in the PC rat race is that I've managed to maintain some ignorance in regards to a lot of these things and just judge things on what they are instead of what they could be. We could sit here and go back and forth all day about the technical limitations of Nintendo Systems but at the end of the day Id be willing to be that the version Zelda I played on my switch is far nicer to look at then say a 4k/60fps version of Fallout 4 (it definitely had more variety and felt more immersive then the XB1 version of TW3 I played).
Aug 20, 2009
6663 posts
1313 upvotes
Grimsby
Zelda is very stylized and while it doesn't win any engine achievement awards, it is arguably quite beautiful and immersive. BOTW is consistent in its mechanics, physics and overall world design so I was able to immerse myself in it quite easily. This is in stark contrast to something like Ghost Recon Wildlands where it looks hyper realistic but the constant jarring shifts in design/mechanics take me right out of the game. Zelda's world feels very alive and fluid which further boosts the players interest in exploration whereas most other open world games give you a laundry list of icons/busywork to do which makes them feel like pretty paintings; nice but lifeless.

For me the world design, physics and mechanics are what lend an open world game authenticity.