So what is your GOTY and GOTG so far?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2018 7:26 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5462 posts
1779 upvotes
Toronto
Ya I appreciate the art design in BOTW as well and didn't have any trouble getting immersed in it because the gameplay and overall design is so good, but I do understand where a dude like Buggy166 is coming from with his comment. It's hard to call it "gotg" over a game like TW3 that has equally high quality gameplay content while also raising the bar in visuals and other areas. As good as BOTW looks TW3 is definitely on another level, never mind the world detail, the sheer number of unique highly detailed character models is second to none. All things considered I think they're equally enjoyable games, I just put TW3 slightly above it for excelling in some areas where BOTW is barely making an effort such as story, voice acting, character/enemy variety and detail
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6781 posts
815 upvotes
Its also the fact that games always have differing demographics. Zelda is aimed at children, and adults who used to play it as children. Witcher is aimed at teens and adults alone, definitely should not be a game played by little kids.

Either way, for the past 2-3 years, we've been getting spoiled. My only regrets so far are the Metal Gear Solid ending or non ending, because of the BS studio politics that happened with Kojima, and the let down that Mass Effect Andromeda seems to be, not just in the animation department, but its superficial and simple story lines. I also blame Witcher 3 for elevating what to expect out of game scripts nowadays. Its like expecting every TV show to be Game of Thrones, it will only lead to disappointment.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6205 posts
1405 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
May 8th, 2017 6:20 pm
Its also the fact that games always have differing demographics. Zelda is aimed at children, and adults who used to play it as children. Witcher is aimed at teens and adults alone, definitely should not be a game played by little kids.

Either way, for the past 2-3 years, we've been getting spoiled. My only regrets so far are the Metal Gear Solid ending or non ending, because of the BS studio politics that happened with Kojima, and the let down that Mass Effect Andromeda seems to be, not just in the animation department, but its superficial and simple story lines. I also blame Witcher 3 for elevating what to expect out of game scripts nowadays. Its like expecting every TV show to be Game of Thrones, it will only lead to disappointment.

Zelda is more of an all-ages type of game. Not really aimed at kids specifically.
I think a lot of the puzzles in the shrines or dungeons would stump most people under 13 years old without help.
The combat in Breath of the Wild is much more difficult and rewarding than past Zelda games.

There are sexual tones, and things that would probably fly right over younger audiences' heads.
The carpenters in Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild act flamboyantly gay.
Some of the women go full swoon over Link with sexual implications, etc.

Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2057 posts
199 upvotes
Paya is truly best girl. Zelda is for suckers.

But anyway, yeah - saying Zelda is intended for a specific age demographic is more than a little short sighted. Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess at least certainly aren't targeted at children in any way.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1693 posts
432 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
May 8th, 2017 7:05 pm

Zelda is more of an all-ages type of game. Not really aimed at kids specifically.
I think a lot of the puzzles in the shrines or dungeons would stump most people under 13 years old without help.
The combat in Breath of the Wild is much more difficult and rewarding than past Zelda games.

There are sexual tones, and things that would probably fly right over younger audiences' heads.
The carpenters in Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild act flamboyantly gay.
Some of the women go full swoon over Link with sexual implications, etc.
Movies and TV shows that are "kid-friendly" have had sexual innuendos and double entendres for a long time.

Every Nintendo franchise is geared towards an all ages audience. Zelda and Metroid are more palatable for adults, but their content is still appropriate for a 10 year old.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2007
1610 posts
258 upvotes
Just wanted to say even though my GOTY is still probably Zelda BOTW... Neir: Automata is just so good. I'm blown away by how much i like it. I bought it to just play quickly and trade back to EB games for the 2x promo but I'm so in love with the game I'm just going to keep it. Platinum games and square hit this one out of the park.

Since I love them both so much Id say this:

GOTG - Zelda
GOTY - Neir: Automata
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1684 posts
710 upvotes
Hamilton
PUBG gets my vote for GOTY.
Witcher 3 for GOTG.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2006
1746 posts
196 upvotes
has to be pubg based on pure numbers and hype alone.
Some people meditate, I smoke cigars.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5462 posts
1779 upvotes
Toronto
cns187 wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 11:54 am
has to be pubg based on pure numbers and hype alone.
Hmm not sure numbers and popularity is a good measure for this because if it was then games like COD and Minecraft would be GOTY every year for the last decade
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3263 posts
658 upvotes
Toronto
superfresh89 wrote:
May 8th, 2017 10:21 am
What does GOTG stand for?

Even google doesn't know this acronym :(
Game of the Generation
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Addict
May 12, 2011
3000 posts
296 upvotes
NORTH VANCOUVER
I think Mario Oddessy might be mine if it's anything like Mario 64

Right now Witcher 3(not sure when it released)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6117 posts
863 upvotes
Grimsby
PUBG is good but man, nothing compares to Breath of the Wild. That game was truly a once in a generation experience. Definitely my GOTY.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5602 posts
1269 upvotes
Catching up on older games mainly this year but did beat Horizon Zero Dawn. Amazing game!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5462 posts
1779 upvotes
Toronto
BluePhirePB wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 10:46 am
Catching up on older games mainly this year but did beat Horizon Zero Dawn. Amazing game!
I'm about 1/3rd through it and agree it's amazing but it still doesn't dethrone BOTW for me. As good as it is it's essentially a well polished compilation of recycled mechanics from other games whereas BOTW is fresh and unique in nearly every aspect.