PC & Video Games

So what is your GOTY and GOTG so far?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2018 7:26 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5131 posts
1953 upvotes
I'll say either Rocket League or BF1 (yes, I don't play that many games). If you are talking hours played, it'll be MLB: The Show 17.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5734 posts
1333 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 1:07 pm
I'm about 1/3rd through it and agree it's amazing but it still doesn't dethrone BOTW for me. As good as it is it's essentially a well polished compilation of recycled mechanics from other games whereas BOTW is fresh and unique in nearly every aspect.
I tried a bit of BOTW and I know what you mean. It's not that HZD isn't good. It's BOTW is better.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4794 posts
879 upvotes
Milton
Game of this generation = Witcher 3
Game of the year = Horizon

Personal Game of the year = Destiny 2 :)

Regarding BOTW vs HZD:

Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7820 posts
866 upvotes
Victoria
I'm going with Horizon Zero Dawn as my game of the year. (Witcher 3 would be best of this generation pick).

To be honest it feels like the amount of AAA titles I'm inclined to play in any given year keep going down, so there's only a few to choose from.

I think I've played Horizon, Doom, Destiny 2, and the new Uncharted DLC/Mini game.

Horizon was brilliant and reminds me why I have a playstation and haven't bought an xbox for this generation. Doom was awesome. Destiny 2 is ok. Destiny is all about the post-campaign stuff, and i'm not enjoying it as much as D1). The new uncharted was really awesome and I hope they make more of them, even if they don't use Nathan Drake anymore.

It sounds like I should go back and try Nier again. I played the first bit but struggled with the schmup part of it.... I suck at schmup's.. lol.
Nov 14, 2017
48 posts
17 upvotes
Found it. Here's my list, starting with number 1. (only doing 2017 releases, otherwise my list would be slightly longer as I played a lot of games this year from previous years)

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Mario Odyssey
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Persona 5
Danganronpa 1-2 Reload
Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
South Park: The Fractured But Whole
Cuphead
Yakuza Kiwami
Wolfenstein 2 The New Colossus
Golf Story
Batman: The Enemy Within
Splatoon 2
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Call of Duty WW2
Everybody's Golf
Destiny 2
Ever Oasis
Yakuza 0
Life is Strange: Before the Storm
Little Nightmares
Assassin's Creed Origins
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Injustice 2
Pyre
Sonic Mania
Crash Bandicoot
Snipperclips
Arms
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
Metroid: Samus Returns
Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns
Fortnite
Has Been Heroes
NieR: Automata
Mass Effect: Andromeda

Note: Xenoblade, PUBG and Horizon Zero Dawn are not on this list yet as they're coming out in December. I actually did play Horizon Zero Dawn at release, but absolutely hated it. I want to give it a fair shake though, given all the excitement around it, and will be trying it again with the Complete Edition. I highly doubt it will crack my top 10 though.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5744 posts
1921 upvotes
Toronto
LinkPersona's GOTY is BOTW. I'm shocked

That list just made me realize how much I haven't played this year. Out of all those games I've only played BOTW, Cuphead, Wolfenstein, MK8 (on WiiU and a bit on Switch, same thing), WWII, Lost Legacy, Samus Returns and Fortnite BR. The only others I really want to play and will get to sometime over the next year are Odyssey, AC:O and Yakuza 0. I might give Persona 5 and Destiny 2 a shot when they're on sale for dirt cheap and will probably give ME:A a shot despite the bad reviews since it's on Origin Access
Nov 14, 2017
48 posts
17 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 1:30 pm
LinkPersona's GOTY is BOTW. I'm shocked

That list just made me realize how much I haven't played this year. Out of all those games I've only played BOTW, Cuphead, Wolfenstein, MK8 (on WiiU and a bit on Switch, same thing), WWII, Lost Legacy, Samus Returns and Fortnite BR. The only others I really want to play and will get to sometime over the next year are Odyssey, AC:O and Yakuza 0. I might give Persona 5 and Destiny 2 a shot when they're on sale for dirt cheap and will probably give ME:A a shot despite the bad reviews since it's on Origin Access
I realized I just posted my list, but no thoughts. First off, shout out to EB Games Satisfaction Guarantee for allowing me to even play all these games. Honestly, being able to finish a game, and return within 7 days for another game is insane - not to mention when you combine it with their trade 3 and double trade credit programs.

Zelda is by far and away my favorite of the year. Nothing really did come close, even Odyssey. It was surreal to see and talk to people that were playing Zelda, about their experiences etc. as if it was the N64 era and Ocarina of Time just came out.

Odyssey is a close second, and I'm still not completely 100% finished. There was too much joy, and happiness playing this game - nostalgia plays a huge part.

Mario Rabbids was a sleeper hit for me. I completely 100%'d it, and then bought the season pass. It's amazing that Ubisoft made it, I had a lot of fun.

Persona 5 was my first entry into the series, and I loved every minute of it. Going to play Persona 4 Golden next.

Not going to do a sentence on everything else, but feel free to ask about any others. It's hard to rank the middle-end games, so don't dig too much into those.

I will say, that I enjoyed every game on this list very much, minus Resident Evil 7 and below. Those games were not fun, and I realize I'm in the minority for Nier and RE:7.
Aug 20, 2009
6326 posts
997 upvotes
Grimsby
That list seems awful familiar, reminds me of another poster.

Anyways my GOTY is Breath of the Wild. In fact I think it's one of my all time favorites. I know people knock it for not being a good Zelda game due to the lack of lengthy dungeons and complex puzzles but I would argue it really evolves the franchise overall despite being different.

Runner up would be Horizon. AC:O I am really enjoying but I can't include it until I finish and have time to think about it.
I might give Persona 5 and Destiny 2 a shot when they're on sale for dirt cheap and will probably give ME:A a shot despite the bad reviews since it's on Origin Access
I am a huge ME fan overall but ME:A is just really mediocre. It has a few stand out moments that aren't worth all of the nonsense in between. Tedious is the best word I can use to describe that game, it is right up there for most disappointing game of the year for me.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16691 posts
1265 upvotes
Woodbridge
Clearly I'm a gamer. LOL

Horizon Zero Dawn is considered GOTY and I haven't touched it since I picked up the BF PS4 Pro on Friday. :(
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1934 posts
777 upvotes
Hamilton
PUBG is my 2017 Goty for games I've played. Only other new games were Destiny 2 and Shadow of War, neither of them as good IMO.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5744 posts
1921 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 1:50 pm
I am a huge ME fan overall but ME:A is just really mediocre. It has a few stand out moments that aren't worth all of the nonsense in between. Tedious is the best word I can use to describe that game, it is right up there for most disappointing game of the year for me.
I already got my monies worth out of Origin Access so it being on there makes me feel like I'm getting to play it for free lol. Expectations are super low and I'm not planning to finish it, I just want to see if it's really that bad

BOTW is still the best of the year for me as well by a mile. HZD, Lost Legacy and Wolfenstein 2 would be my other favorites and they're all so good in different ways that I can't really rank one above the other
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4998 posts
700 upvotes
calgary
I feel like I haven't really played many games this year. BOTW is the only game that stands out for me, but I did really enjoy Shadows of War, Cuphead, and Halo Wars 2. I guess between Shadows of War and BOTW that is like 150 hours of gaming which for me is about 6 months worth and before those came out I was playing games that released last year. There is also a bunch of games that I simply havent played.

I also really enjoyed my time with battlefront's beta/trial period, even though I didnt purchase it due to the loot box/progression stuff.

I think destiny 2 might be most disappointing for me, it was enjoyable enough playing it but when all was said and done it was extremely forgettable and didn't really hook me like the first one. I have zero desire to go back and play it.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1707 posts
179 upvotes
North York
My list is below. I don't have a Switch so can't say BOTW :)

I've been working on my backlog so only listing the few 2017 releases I've played.

1. Persona 5
2. Uncharted Lost Legacy
3. Danganronpa V3
4. Gravity Rush 2
5. Nier Automata
6. Resident Evil 7
Dec 1, 2011
222 posts
29 upvotes
South Park Fractured But Whole for my GOTY. Nothing else came close
Aug 20, 2009
6326 posts
997 upvotes
Grimsby
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 3:07 pm
I already got my monies worth out of Origin Access so it being on there makes me feel like I'm getting to play it for free lol. Expectations are super low and I'm not planning to finish it, I just want to see if it's really that bad
It's not bad per se, its just really average and tedious. This is compounded by how good the other games were. Damned shame, I loved ME and the whole setting is on ice now for a long time.