So what is your GOTY and GOTG so far?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2018 7:26 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
35 hours in and AC:O is still throwing me curve balls I didn't see coming. Don't want to spoil it but the Lizard quest line was so so cool. That and the side quests continue to entertain with their back stories and variety. Completely unexpected from a Ubisoft game.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
One of the things I appreciated about the game was that there are entire zones you won't really visit unless you go exploring on your own. There's a lot of potential for a second playthru in it. Some of the later zones only have 1-2 main questlines in them but tons of cool sidequests to do. Some of the zones are nearly barren but have interesting tombs or other stuff to discover. A few of the desert zones have cool hallucinations and other things going on too.

I was skipping through some of the main quest dialogue towards the end, usual Ubisoft stuff where it overstays its welcome but other than that I really enjoyed it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote: One of the things I appreciated about the game was that there are entire zones you won't really visit unless you go exploring on your own. There's a lot of potential for a second playthru in it. Some of the later zones only have 1-2 main questlines in them but tons of cool sidequests to do. Some of the zones are nearly barren but have interesting tombs or other stuff to discover. A few of the desert zones have cool hallucinations and other things going on too.

I was skipping through some of the main quest dialogue towards the end, usual Ubisoft stuff where it overstays its welcome but other than that I really enjoyed it.
I was thinking it's kind of crazy how I'm more than half through the main quests but haven't even uncovered half of the map yet. I've just been going where the quests take me. I like that the zones are all artistically distinct in some way as well. Nothing has felt repetitive for me yet which usually happens to me around this point in most open world games. One of my favorite things is how you can keep the combat fresh by switching up your load out and unlocking abilities every couple hours and I think that has a lot to do with why I'm still enjoying it
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2011
5776 posts
3926 upvotes
Toronto and London
1. Nier Automata
-Excellent story with deep themes, excellent music and great gameplay

2. Uncharted Lost Legacy
-sense of adventure and great cast of characters. Some of the best set pieces and a unique approach to opening the world up during a certain chapter.

3. Mario Odyssey
-charming and just a joy to play. Brings me back to my childhood

4. Resident Evil 7
-decently scary in the beginning. Takes it back to the roots.

5. Wolfenstein 2
-good story and gun play. Love how visceral it is.

Just started BOTW so it may end up being my favorite.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1670 posts
719 upvotes
Redmask wrote: One of the things I appreciated about the game was that there are entire zones you won't really visit unless you go exploring on your own. There's a lot of potential for a second playthru in it. Some of the later zones only have 1-2 main questlines in them but tons of cool sidequests to do. Some of the zones are nearly barren but have interesting tombs or other stuff to discover. A few of the desert zones have cool hallucinations and other things going on too.

Why would you do a second playthru? You can just free roam after the main story quest line is over and keep exploring.
ReeGee wrote: I was thinking it's kind of crazy how I'm more than half through the main quests but haven't even uncovered half of the map yet. I've just been going where the quests take me. I like that the zones are all artistically distinct in some way as well. Nothing has felt repetitive for me yet which usually happens to me around this point in most open world games. One of my favorite things is how you can keep the combat fresh by switching up your load out and unlocking abilities every couple hours and I think that has a lot to do with why I'm still enjoying it
The RPG elements really add to the addictiveness of the game. Thanks to everyone for recommending and suggesting Assassin's Creed Origins. The game is truly fantastic and I'm having a blast. At first I thought that the default control scheme was kind of ******** because of the awkwardness of having to push RB+RT at the same time but the advantage is that you can control the camera while in combat so I went back to that. The game does start off a bit slow but that whole starting area is literally just the prologue and the game completely opens up after that.

The game is gorgeous! Easily one of the best looking games on the Xbox One X. It must be insanely pretty on a high end PC or with 4K HDR! What this game does better than any other game I can think of is how alive the world feels, from the wildlife and fauna to the random people populating the world. It's like they took the best parts of different games and put it into AC:O. You can literally climb and go anywhere like in Zelda Breath of the Wild except without the annoying stamina bar or rain that keeps making you fall down the mountain lol, sidequests and RPG elements from the Witcher 3, combat from Darksouls, Senu the eagle is like the Owl from Far Cry Primal, the auto destination mount reminds me of Black Desert Online and all of these little outposts you have to conquer reminds me of Mad Max.

I found a big ass legendary weapon with health on hit and adrenaline on kill and I've been wrecking face through most of the game. Playing on Normal but have thought about bumping that up to hard since there is just so many different ways to kill enemies seems almost unfair. I beat the Crocodile so I figure I must be somewhere near the end. The Lizard quest was definitely my favorite though!

Just did the Final Fantasy sidequest, A Gift from the Gods. Pretty cool and worth checking out for the rewards. I won't spoil it but you get a legendary mount and I'm on the floor dying of laughter. This game is HUGE and there's a ton of content here. Also recommend doing the daily Reda quests since you get good loot and a chance at a legendary item.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1102 posts
353 upvotes
OAKVILLE
I love the sword from the Final Fantasy sidequest too. But ultimately I stick with my legendary hooked sword. Much better for the big guys.

Great game. I'm around the same point as you guys as I near the center of the "targets" graphic (Just finished the Lion & Scorpion I think).

I'm guessing there may be some additional DLC that will come out and require us to go to those unexplored & under-utilized areas.
My Xbox Gamertag – KY JELLO
My Bell plan: $60/mo – 5GB, 250 LD, Bell-to-Bell, CD, VM, plus unlimited texting & evenings
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5909 upvotes
Assassin's Creed Origins' user rating is mediocre, hence the reason why I still have not started it yet
over the other games I have not finished from last year.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... ed-origins

Is the Season Pass / DLC content worth getting? It is currently $54 for the season pass content.
I bought the Deluxe Edition during Boxing week but it remains unopened.

The PC (Uplay) version was also given away as a bonus for buying a Seagate Hard drive.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote: The RPG elements really add to the addictiveness of the game. Thanks to everyone for recommending and suggesting Assassin's Creed Origins. The game is truly fantastic and I'm having a blast. At first I thought that the default control scheme was kind of ******** because of the awkwardness of having to push RB+RT at the same time but the advantage is that you can control the camera while in combat so I went back to that. The game does start off a bit slow but that whole starting area is literally just the prologue and the game completely opens up after that.
Lol at one point shortly after finishing HZD, I was juggling both this game and BOTW, so that's 3 somewhat similar games but with drastically different controls. Adjusting to AC:O definitely was a struggle initially after being so used to the controls in HZD and BOTW. Now it feels natural, I feel OP at level 30 and just love the combat in general. I will regularly start shit with guards when I don't need to just because the combat is so brutal and addictive. Glad to hear you and others are enjoying the game because it's absolutely Ubisoft's best work in years and the refresh this franchise need. Seems to be a hit on consoles but a lot of PC players are still hung up anecdotal issues
XFactor11 wrote: Assassin's Creed Origins' user rating is mediocre, hence the reason why I still have not started it yet
dude nevermind that a score of 8/10 doesn't align with the definition of "medicore" but I don't think anyone else on this forum holds as much weight in that worthless website as you do. It's literally an aggregator of paid marketing and click bait so no one should be using this crap to decide what games to play. The user reviews are even more pointless as literally anyone can submit a review without ever playing the game. I can login to that garbage website right now and submit a 0/10 for any games I've never played
Listen to normal people like you who actually play video games for entertainment as a hobby instead of media corporations who's every move revolves around generating advertising revenue and pushing an agenda.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
He said the same thing before, something not wanting to play it because of the Egypt setting. The setting itself is quite varied surprisingly, each zone feels unique. They did a fantastic job on the world map and levels. The tombs were really neat too.

Anyways I agree with you, AC:O is by far one of the best games in the series and well worth checking out.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5909 upvotes
I will give it a shot but I prefer to play other games I am more interested in that have not finished from last year first.
(Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Yakuza Kiwami, The Evil Within 2, Yakuza 0, etc). These games are obscure, with low marketing budget
and have both high critical acclaim and high user reviews.

I still have not finished Unity, or Syndicate due to Assassins' Creed series fatigue.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5909 upvotes
I will give it a shot but I prefer to play other games I am more interested in that have not finished from last year first.
(Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Yakuza Kiwami, The Evil Within 2, Yakuza 0, etc). These games are relatively obscure, with much lower marketing budget
and have both high critical acclaim and high user reviews. Ubisoft is more likely to be able to buy critical acclaim and push a marketing campaign than the companies
that made the games above.

I still have not finished Unity, or Syndicate due to Assassins' Creed series fatigue.
ReeGee wrote: Lol at one point shortly after finishing HZD, I was juggling both this game and BOTW, so that's 3 somewhat similar games but with drastically different controls. Adjusting to AC:O definitely was a struggle initially after being so used to the controls in HZD and BOTW. Now it feels natural, I feel OP at level 30 and just love the combat in general. I will regularly start shit with guards when I don't need to just because the combat is so brutal and addictive. Glad to hear you and others are enjoying the game because it's absolutely Ubisoft's best work in years and the refresh this franchise need. Seems to be a hit on consoles but a lot of PC players are still hung up anecdotal issues

dude nevermind that a score of 8/10 doesn't align with the definition of "medicore" but I don't think anyone else on this forum holds as much weight in that worthless website as you do. It's literally an aggregator of paid marketing and click bait so no one should be using this crap to decide what games to play. The user reviews are even more pointless as literally anyone can submit a review without ever playing the game. I can login to that garbage website right now and submit a 0/10 for any games I've never played
Listen to normal people like you who actually play video games for entertainment as a hobby instead of media corporations who's every move revolves around generating advertising revenue and pushing an agenda.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
XFactor11 wrote: These games are relatively obscure, with much lower marketing budget and have both high critical acclaim and high user reviews. Ubisoft is more likely to be able to buy critical acclaim and push a marketing campaign than the companies that made the games above.
It doesn't make much sense that you can both frequently reference metacritic and review scores and let it determine which games you play yet still accuse company's of "buying" critical acclaim.
I think the last few years have shown that you can't just buy review scores.

Metacritic user reviews are trash and they always have been. Its mostly just disgruntled gamers and fanboys.
XFactor11 wrote: I still have not finished Unity, or Syndicate due to Assassins' Creed series fatigue.
To me this makes far more sense than skipping a game due to metacritic scores/ user reviews.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1670 posts
719 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote: Assassin's Creed Origins' user rating is mediocre, hence the reason why I still have not started it yet

Is the Season Pass / DLC content worth getting? It is currently $54 for the season pass content.
I bought the Deluxe Edition during Boxing week but it remains unopened.

The PC (Uplay) version was also given away as a bonus for buying a Seagate Hard drive.

It's tough to say whether the Season pass is worth it or not since the first expansion DLC drops in just a few days. Whether or not the DLC is worth it will depend on how much you enjoy the base game. Personally I bought a sealed copy and plan to resell it after I 100% complete the game then pick up the gold edition on sale down the road if I'm still into the game. The story is your typical AC nonsense but the characters are well fleshed out, it doesn't have the emotional hook so far of Nier Automata or HZD but on the flip side I have no interest in revisiting those games. The hook with AC:O is that it's a very fun, polished, gorgeous open world sandbox game. You said previously that Egypt is somewhere you wouldn't want to visit so that may impact your enjoyment of the game, just keep in mind that this isn't your modern day Egypt, we're talking 49 B.C. Also I would never want to go to hell, that doesn't stop Doom and Hellblade or even Diablo from being some of my favorite games!

If you plan to keep the physical copy then just do your LG OLED C7 a favor and give this bad boy a go. You can pick up the season pass on sale later since it's mostly end game content and will be raising the level cap. The good thing about Ubisoft is the way they continue to support their games through both free and paid content. The 3 ability points which you also get in the deluxe edition are really useful early on since there are so many skills to choose from but you should have most of them by end game.

Did you pick up AC:O for PS4 or Xbox? Have you switched to the Xbox One X for multiplats or are you sticking with PS4? What games are you playing now?

Just checked, the first DLC will cost $10us standalone while the 2nd DLC will cost $20us. The season pass also includes extra weapons, shields, outfits and mounts.

Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1670 posts
719 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: Cool I looked it up and apparently you had to be subscribed to promo emails so I just did that now but not sure I'll get it.
HZD took me around 40 hours to clear the main story, all side quests, blazing suns at all grounds and cauldrons but I had no desire to complete the collectathon stuff like the figurines, metal flowers etc. Good game but I had enough by the time it was over and not even sure I want to play Frozen Wilds at this point
The PSN newsletter is really worth subscribing to. You occasionally get a 20% discount code as well.

I feel you on HZD. I have not played Frozen Wilds DLC and not sure I will since I don't own the game any longer. I resold it for a profit. I know that many people like to scoff at devs when they say single player games aren't profitable but AC:O as that daily quest, plus horde mode and community events to keep players engaged. Heck even Uncharted and TLOU which are known for their single player campaigns have multiplayer.

I like In AC:O how you can avenge other fallen assassin players. Shame you can't invade other players world darksouls style. The game is set up perfectly for it with the Phylakes.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5909 upvotes
Bryson wrote:
If you plan to keep the physical copy then just do your LG OLED C7 a favor and give this bad boy a go. You can pick up the season pass on sale later since it's mostly end game content and will be raising the level cap. The good thing about Ubisoft is the way they continue to support their games through both free and paid content. The 3 ability points which you also get in the deluxe edition are really useful early on since there are so many skills to choose from but you should have most of them by end game.

Did you pick up AC:O for PS4 or Xbox? Have you switched to the Xbox One X for multiplats or are you sticking with PS4? What games are you playing now?

I still buy multiplatforms on PS4 Pro. I bought AC Origins on PS4. I allocated a shelf on my desktop PC desk for games I have either not finished or not opened yet from last year.
For Origins, you get to unlock additional DLC outfits and gear from Ubisoft rewards for having played any of their previous games that are tied to your Uplay account.

I also play other games in between going through that backlog of games but I spent most of my week off watching the 4K UHD movies I bought recently.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
Bryson wrote: The PSN newsletter is really worth subscribing to. You occasionally get a 20% discount code as well.

I feel you on HZD. I have not played Frozen Wilds DLC and not sure I will since I don't own the game any longer. I resold it for a profit. I know that many people like to scoff at devs when they say single player games aren't profitable but AC:O as that daily quest, plus horde mode and community events to keep players engaged. Heck even Uncharted and TLOU which are known for their single player campaigns have multiplayer.

I like In AC:O how you can avenge other fallen assassin players. Shame you can't invade other players world darksouls style. The game is set up perfectly for it with the Phylakes.
Thanks for the heads up on the news letter, subbed now. I wish there had been more phylakes in the game, they were really cool and I loved the way the AI worked. I got into trouble in a big outpost and they managed to call for reinforcements. Normally not a big deal but a phylake in the area was alerted and arrived with them! That was a serious brawl.