So what is your GOTY and GOTG so far?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2018 7:26 pm
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3400 posts
430 upvotes
Markham
BOTW for me if for no other reason just because you can climb everything and the physics is consistent everywhere in the game.

That said, if anything else besides PUBG wins it, I would not be upset since they're all great games. It all depends on your own preference.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1032 posts
265 upvotes
Metacritic released their review of the best games of 2017 and the platform with the best exclusives might surprise you, aka the winner was the PC with nearly double the games with a score of 75 or higher versus the next best which was the PS4.

It's a good list though for people looking for an idea of what to play. Personally having recently played through What Remains of Edith Finch, I found the game to be a bit overrated. It's basically a less than 2hours walking simulator but for a sale of under $10 I'd say it's worth it.

The only 2017 Xbox One exclusive to get a score of 75 or higher was the Forza Horizon 3: Hot Wheels DLC.

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best- ... es-of-2017
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5744 posts
1921 upvotes
Toronto
Never thought I'd be saying this but at this point if I'm being honest, AC:O is now my GOTY over BOTW. Clearly BOTW wins the discussion if one just follows popular opinion, I was even in that camp for the majority of the year, but I realized over the weekend that I'm personally having way more fun and am way more addicted to AC:O than I ever was with BOTW or even HZD. I spent a dozen hours playing both BOTW and AC:O over this weekend and while BOTW is great in the many ways already discussed, AC:O has a story, setting, combat, and overall an sense of realism and immersion that appeals to me way more
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2077 posts
208 upvotes
Yeah, BotW for me. Same as my first post in this thread, but I'm really surprised by how close it ended up being with Nier Automata. Those two absolutely sweep this year.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5734 posts
1333 upvotes
A bit biased but Horzion Zero Dawn for me. I was blown away by that game. Beautifully rendered and the revelation at the end was great! I haven't played BOTW, Nier: Automata, Persona 5 etc. yet so I can't comment otherwise.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4998 posts
700 upvotes
calgary
What's everyones top 5 look like this year?

Hard to do a GOTY list because there is so many supposedly good games I have yet to play, my list this year is a bit weird considering...
I just started AC: Origins and splitting time between that and PubG, also have Mario Odyssey -sunk maybe an hour or two into it- on deck for my switch but I'm at the tail end of Mario + Rabbids. Also I really want to play Neir:Automata, even though I typically dislike japanese games it sounds really cool. Also never got around to playing Horizon:Zero Dawn but my interest in that sort of waned. It was a good year for games, specifically Nintendo games, I still don't know if it was better than 2016 though, I feel like there was a few real disappointing to me, Destiny 2 and Battlefront 2 were huge bummers, the former just made me feel nothing towards it and the latter just made me feel angry that a perfectly fun game was ruined by a greedy and lame progression system.

1. BOTW
2. Cuphead
3. Mario + Rabbids
4. Wolfenstien 2
5. Halo Wars 2

I still can't beleive Zelda was as good as it was, I had very little hype for it prerelease and my expectations were minimal. Im not typically a huge fan of open world games but this took everything I hate about open world games (go from point a to b, complete quest, rinse, repeat) and managed to create a game that encouraged exploration and rewarded you for it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5744 posts
1921 upvotes
Toronto
1. Assassins Creed Origins
2. BOTW
3. Uncharted Lost Legacy
4. The New Colossus
5. Horizon Zero Dawn

I still want to play Odyssey, Neir, Yakuza 0, Persona 5, Divinity OS 2 and Prey. I'm sure all those games are great too but trusting my tastes only Odyssey is likely to bump anything off my current top 5. Then again 4 months ago I'd laugh at the thought of an Assassins Creed game being on my list at all never mind at the top of it so who knows.
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 7:10 pm
I still can't beleive Zelda was as good as it was, I had very little hype for it prerelease and my expectations were minimal. Im not typically a huge fan of open world games but this took everything I hate about open world games (go from point a to b, complete quest, rinse, repeat) and managed to create a game that encouraged exploration and rewarded you for it.
Funny enough AC:O is like the antitheses of BOTW and it's basically what you hate about open world games (I feel the same to a degree) yet for whatever reason I can't stop playing it. It's just done with a level of care and attention to detail that makes it enjoyable to play regardless. HZD was kind of the same deal in that there was nothing innovative about it, it blatantly borrows ideas from other games, but it's executed extremely well.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4998 posts
700 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 7:58 pm
1. Assassins Creed Origins
2. BOTW
3. Uncharted Lost Legacy
4. The New Colossus
5. Horizon Zero Dawn

I still want to play Odyssey, Neir, Yakuza 0, Persona 5, Divinity OS 2 and Prey. I'm sure all those games are great too but trusting my tastes only Odyssey is likely to bump anything off my current top 5. Then again 4 months ago I'd laugh at the thought of an Assassins Creed game being on my list at all never mind at the top of it so who knows.

Funny enough AC:O is like the antitheses of BOTW and it's basically what you hate about open world games (I feel the same to a degree) yet for whatever reason I can't stop playing it. It's just done with a level of care and attention to detail that makes it enjoyable to play regardless. HZD was kind of the same deal in that there was nothing innovative about it, it blatantly borrows ideas from other games, but it's executed extremely well.
Yeah Im having a tough time getting into AC:O, Ive put about 5 hours in and just got to Alexandria and it hasnt done much to get its claws into me. Ive somewhat enjoyed the last couple AC games because I've enjoyed the world theyve created in the setting and I really love the big assassination missions. The world so far in AC:O seems really interesting so far and the game is beautiful but most of the the missions I've done seem pretty bland and the story seems incredibly slow to get going. It's been a chore to play to this point, having said that there is usually a period of time with these games before it hooks me and the world does truly excite me and seem interesting to explore so Im not close to giving up on it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5744 posts
1921 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:14 am
The world so far in AC:O seems really interesting so far and the game is beautiful but most of the the missions I've done seem pretty bland and the story seems incredibly slow to get going.
The main story definitely gets more interesting around and after Alexandria, and it was the "Scaraab" story line in particular when I really started enjoying the main plot. Still the real hook for me has been doing all those little side quests and figuring out new creative ways of taking over outposts as you unlock more abilities. I don't think the side quests are bland at all and some of them are hilariously entertaining. I've been purposely doing every available side quest before carrying on with main quests.
Aug 20, 2009
6326 posts
997 upvotes
Grimsby
Nearly every single sidequest in AC:O has some sort of story or unique character and they have a fair amount of variety. It's a huge upgrade from the usual Ubisoft collectathons. I don't know what more we can realistically ask for. As someone who played and loved Witcher 3, AC:O has more mission variety than Witcher 3 does. I was also impressed at how many of the sidequests tie back into the main story and its characters.

The story being slow on the other hand, that's fair. It does take awhile to get going.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1449 posts
343 upvotes
I genuinely do not understand why Zelda BotW gets the elite level of praise it does. I picked it up with my Switch around launch, and did get a fair amount of enjoyment out of it. Exploration, and the use of physics was fun but there wasn't enough depth, and no real story to keep me invested. I eventually lost interest maybe 12+ hours into it. Found the world was way too empty, enemies too cheap (and poorly scaled in difficulty), and combat too basic.

There's NO hand holding, which I think a lot fans enjoy... but I just generally found frustrating. It led to far too much aimless wandering, and then general confusion of how to proceed/survive in certain instances. I tried to get back into it recently, and again... found myself just wandering around for 2-3 hours dealing with random enemy encounters with no real sense of progression or achievement. It's a game I really want to enjoy, and understand the hype around.

I'd never really played a Zelda game before (outside of NES way back), so I don't really have much nostalgia.

Soon after I played Horizon Zero Dawn, which honestly just felt like a similar, but far superior game in every way - and I don't just mean the obvious shiny graphics.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6364 posts
1472 upvotes
The main quest objectives are clearly marked if you pull out the quest log.
You can tackle the main missions whenever you want to and do not have to complete shrines provided that you are good enough without the upgrades.

Here are a lot of neat things you can do to mess around with within the game:

signore wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 2:37 pm
I genuinely do not understand why Zelda BotW gets the elite level of praise it does. I picked it up with my Switch around launch, and did get a fair amount of enjoyment out of it. Exploration, and the use of physics was fun but there wasn't enough depth, and no real story to keep me invested. I eventually lost interest maybe 12+ hours into it. Found the world was way too empty, enemies too cheap (and poorly scaled in difficulty), and combat too basic.

There's NO hand holding, which I think a lot fans enjoy... but I just generally found frustrating. It led to far too much aimless wandering, and then general confusion of how to proceed/survive in certain instances. I tried to get back into it recently, and again... found myself just wandering around for 2-3 hours dealing with random enemy encounters with no real sense of progression or achievement. It's a game I really want to enjoy, and understand the hype around.

I'd never really played a Zelda game before (outside of NES way back), so I don't really have much nostalgia.

Soon after I played Horizon Zero Dawn, which honestly just felt like a similar, but far superior game in every way - and I don't just mean the obvious shiny graphics.
Aug 20, 2009
6326 posts
997 upvotes
Grimsby
signore wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 2:37 pm

You mention the original NES version, its interesting because that's what the teams goal was. They wanted something that felt like that game - drop you in a big scary world to fend for yourself. There's a sense of accomplishment that comes from overcoming obstacles yourself that they were going for. Most games these days hand hold you with overlong tutorials and bombard you with onscreen HUD stuff. They were not interested in making that kind of game. They want you to experiment, to struggle and to overcome. The game unquestionably has shortcomings but I think if you persist you'll see what it does well far outweighs them. The scaling for example is far more simplistic than you probably realize and much like Dark Souls, once you master the mechanics the actual enemies are relatively easy to defeat. Exploration becomes more convenient as you progress as well.

Each of the main story missions has a quest and story associated with it, those then tie into the main story itself which is the same as most Zelda entries - defeat Ganon. The game also features a lot of visual and indirect story telling.

But all of that being said, it is still an open world game and they are certainly not everyones cup of tea.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4998 posts
700 upvotes
calgary
Redmask wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 1:21 pm
Nearly every single sidequest in AC:O has some sort of story or unique character and they have a fair amount of variety. It's a huge upgrade from the usual Ubisoft collectathons. I don't know what more we can realistically ask for. As someone who played and loved Witcher 3, AC:O has more mission variety than Witcher 3 does. I was also impressed at how many of the sidequests tie back into the main story and its characters.

The story being slow on the other hand, that's fair. It does take awhile to get going.
Yeah, its a nice departure from previous AC games to see a map not littered with the exact same side quest over and over but in a different part of the map.
However the quests to this point anyway despite a bit of story around them all seem to boil down to bandits taking or doing something and you have to go to a bandit camp and killing someone and/or taking that thing back. Maybe things improve, I stumbled upon a quest last night that actually seemed like it could be interesting, but its too early to say.

Also this game still does what I largely hate about open world games which just directs you from point A to point B to point C etc.... which is the thing that Zelda does so well, it gives you some open ended objectives and basically tells you to explore using landmarks in its world to guide you to interesting things, its much more organic.

TBH, I feel like I'm still way too early to be really judging it and making an informed opinion, I've only done a few quests and really haven't explored the world much..
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2077 posts
208 upvotes
1. Breath of the Wild
It's everything I've always wanted in an open world game. I'm very much into exploration and in every open world game I'm always running around going "Oooh, I wonder what's over there!" and generally? Generally the answer is nothing. In Bethesda games the top of that mountain just leads to an invisible wall. In Ubisoft games there's no point in looking because some tower puked all the details onto the map ages ago. The answer in BotW is basically never nothing. It's not always something substantial, but it's always something. And the game never gets in the way of that exploration. For those who keep saying they don't understand, for me the lack of direction and the big sprawling "nothing" is the point of the game and what makes it really great.

2. Nier Automata
As much as I like BotW it definitely lacks in some respects, and Neir Atuomata basically excels in all those cases. BotW has this overly subtle OST that's honestly not used well? Nier Automata has spectacular sweeping music that's always at the forefront of the experience. BotW lacks for a substantive narrative (mostly by design, not really a knock against it)? Nier Automata has a rich, layered story that you keep digging into for hours that constantly twists and turns and flips your expectations. BotW's art design is kinda' bland? Nier Automata's is bombastic and wonderfully unique and varied. It always seemed like Yoko Taro was being held back by the lackluster studios and budgets he'd had to work with, but god damn I don't think anyone really grasped how true that was. I don't know that its really sunk in with a lot of people how this game is going to be viewed in, say, a decade. When PS4 collecting becomes a real thing, this is going to be a game that regularly tops the list of what people should acquire first. Seriously, if you haven't played this put it on your list.

3. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
I'm a little disappointed people seemed to have forgot about this one. An excellent strategy game that maybe could have done with a few more mechanical upgrades than it got, but thankfully avoided some of the forced BS in the other 3DS games. The story is wonderfully executed, the localization is far and away the best Nintendo has ever done, the cast is great, and the mechanics to break up the usual gameplay all hit just right. The music is also really, really good for the most part.

4. Hollow Knight
The itch that Metroid: Return of Samus completely failed to scratch for me, Hollow Knight definitely did. An engaging world with wonderful map design, deceptively simple controls, and a wonderfully polished experience.

5. Horizon Zero Dawn
Horizon certainly wins out on technical prowess for me this year. It's not perfect, but it's peaks are damn impressive. The story is interesting and engrossing (if a little predictable in the back third), the combat is rewarding, and the some really great design work on display for the machines, armor, weapons, etc. It's one of only three games I've ever gotten a platinum trophy in.

Few things - I didn't play Persona 5 or Hellblade yet. I suspect both would be on here if I had. Cupheads run n gun style has never been my thing, but I definitely like watching it. I didn't play Sonic Mania because I honestly don't care for 2D Sonic on any level. No amount of praise will interest me in AC:O. Naughty Dog has worn the 3rd person cover shooter design docket so thin you can literally see through it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)