Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1213 posts
99 upvotes

Soapy water coming out from kitchen sink

Hi, I live in a condo apartment building, 15th floor. There are 6 floors above my apartment.

Sometimes, I hear some weird sound and the soapy water starts coming out from the kitchen sink. It looks like it is coming from somewhere else since I'm not using water at all.

I told my building management and they believed my sink is clogged.
I plan to video this and show this to my management.

Any help or advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
25 replies
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
1165 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Someone above you is probably using a washing machine/dishwasher and discharging the water through?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1213 posts
99 upvotes
Spidey wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2008 2:10 pm
do you have a dishwasher
Yes, I have a dishwasher besides my kitchen sink. However, I wasn't using it when I saw this problem.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1213 posts
99 upvotes
Blackjack wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2008 2:09 pm
Someone above you is probably using a washing machine/dishwasher and discharging the water through?
Is this normal? If not, how do I resolve this issue?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1213 posts
99 upvotes
Spidey wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2008 2:44 pm
Do you notice any water in the bottom of your dishwasher after it has completed its cycle
As a matter of fact, I do.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
75668 posts
1541 upvotes
Medicine Hat, AB
umlowcn wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2008 3:06 pm
As a matter of fact, I do.
Could be the drain the goes from the dishwasher into the sink drain may be plugged, or semi plugged

Happened to us a few months ago from al old dishwasher that would chew up food stuff properly

Do you happen to have a garberator as well
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/thin ... on-166920/
TOTAL WINNINGS TO DATE = $99,719.87
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14339 posts
1292 upvotes
Oshawa
Check that the drainage hose from the dishwasher to the pipes under your sink isn't kinked.
Blacklisted brands: Sony, Lenovo, Dell, Vizio
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1213 posts
99 upvotes
Spidey wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2008 3:08 pm
Could be the drain the goes from the dishwasher into the sink drain may be plugged, or semi plugged

Happened to us a few months ago from al old dishwasher that would chew up food stuff properly

Do you happen to have a garberator as well
This seems to make sense, the dishwater looks old and it is a re-resale condo we bought. We always rinse the dishes before put it into the dishwasher, probably previous owner didn't do that.

garberator = food or garbage dispenser? I don't have one. I think dishwasher has the garberator's function?
Dec 10, 2007
324 posts
12 upvotes
This problem has probably next to nothing to do with the dishwasher.

The most likely cause of this problem is the usage of washing machines installed in various apartments throughout the condo. Washing machine discharge is highly concentrated with washing detergent and discharged at a high volume, so this leads to excess soap suds being formed in the drain pipes, that eventually reverse their way into the sinks of other apartments.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
75668 posts
1541 upvotes
Medicine Hat, AB
OldFortYork wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2008 4:18 pm

The most likely cause of this problem is the usage of washing machines installed in various apartments throughout the condo. Washing machine discharge is highly concentrated with washing detergent and discharged at a high volume, so this leads to excess soap suds being formed in the drain pipes, that eventually reverse their way into the sinks of other apartments.
I disagree, it can easily be the dishwasher as well. So not right to say that it can be the problem at all.

Im not saying it cant be washing machines either, but you cant totally disregard the dishwasher problem
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/thin ... on-166920/
TOTAL WINNINGS TO DATE = $99,719.87
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1213 posts
99 upvotes
It sounds like I need to get a plumber to investigate?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2471 posts
75 upvotes
umlowcn wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2008 4:50 pm
It sounds like I need to get a plumber to investigate?
run your dishwasher, and then your washing machine and see if it happens again

OldFortYork wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2008 4:18 pm

the chances of this coming from another unit are very slim to none, unless of course they completely f'd up the plumbing, which could be a possibility
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1213 posts
99 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2008 6:33 pm
run your dishwasher, and then your washing machine and see if it happens again

the chances of this coming from another unit are very slim to none, unless of course they completely f'd up the plumbing, which could be a possibility

I tried it a couple hours ago. Ran my dishwasher for a couple mins, then started my washing machine. It didn't happen. Please note the the soapy water can still came out from the kitchen sink even though we are not doing anything. So, could this be coming from another unit? Any else I can try?
× < >