• Nov 15th, 2017 11:00 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4366 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
saturday2k wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 6:46 am
If I charge full ticket price on CC and then seat upgrade on GC, I should still have the CC insurance coverages right??
Good question, I also hope to hear an answer from this.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2009
2666 posts
238 upvotes
Do we receive Aeroplan points and AQM/AQD on tickets purchased via gift card?
PSN: RunOrDie226
add me!
Mar 2, 2016
98 posts
49 upvotes
Great deal, thanks for posting. Confirmed November 10th (tomorrow) until the 16th in Toronto.

By the way, does anyone know if we get airmiles for buying these GCs? I suspect that T&C say no but maybe it's not forced, like buying GCs at Shell.
Dec 11, 2003
163 posts
15 upvotes
ipassgas wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:28 pm
Wow... 10% off Air Canada combinable with any regar AC discounts, and 5 times American Express Rewards points with Cobalt card. Hot deal +++. Thanks OP.
Would I be awarded 5x points with Amex Cobalt card since the gift card purchase in Sobeys is considered a grocery purchase only?
Nov 11, 2006
440 posts
123 upvotes
padfoot wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:42 am
Would I be awarded 5x points with Amex Cobalt card since the gift card purchase in Sobeys is considered a grocery purchase only?
Yes.
Nov 22, 2010
678 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
Arrgh wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:08 am
10% discount is really good.

If paying the trip with some premium CC's will cover lost luggage, flight delay, trip interruptions, or medicals. But if only paying part of the trip with the CC, the coverage may be lost. That'd be my worry with using these AC GCs.
Exactly. It's the possible lack of CC insurance that's stopping me from buying this.
Nov 8, 2008
190 posts
99 upvotes
travelgeek wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:12 am
Exactly. It's the possible lack of CC insurance that's stopping me from buying this.
Just checked the terms on my card (ScotiaGold American Express) - 75% of trip cost must be charged to card, therefore you can use the GC to pay for at most 25% of the ticket cost. At a 10% discount for that 25% portion, that's only 2.5% discount - not really worthwhile for me.
Feb 29, 2016
67 posts
31 upvotes
I also just checked the terms on my card (TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite Card) - Under Trip Cancellation, Common Carrier Travel Accident Insurance, Delayed and Lost Baggage Insurance - Covered Trip means a trip for which the full cost has been charged to Your Account.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6826 posts
1461 upvotes
Toronto
carsncars wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:15 am
Just checked the terms on my card (ScotiaGold American Express) - 75% of trip cost must be charged to card, therefore you can use the GC to pay for at most 25% of the ticket cost. At a 10% discount for that 25% portion, that's only 2.5% discount - not really worthwhile for me.
Good to know. I have the Scotia Amex. But I would usually use the TD or CIBC ae to pay for the tax/fee for aeropeso redemptions (for the insurance), and TD First Class visa to buy vacation packages (for the 4.5% back).

But if using the AC GC means no insurance, I'd rather not.
lykwd888 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:38 am
I also just checked the terms on my card (TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite Card) - Under Trip Cancellation, Common Carrier Travel Accident Insurance, Delayed and Lost Baggage Insurance - Covered Trip means a trip for which the full cost has been charged to Your Account.
So if full cost needs to be charged to have insurance, well, I'd not use the AC GCs.
Jul 27, 2017
19 posts
4 upvotes
For BMO world Elite - "Coverage applies only when You charge the full or partial cost of Your Trip to the Primary or Family
Cardholder’s MasterCard when booking Your Trip.Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Aug 30, 2013
318 posts
122 upvotes
prairies
I think if you are flying domestic and just have 1 flight you should be ok. Even if you have a connecting flight but everything is on 1 ticket, if your first flight is delayed or cancelled it is up to air canada to get you to your destination and to cover the cost of hotel/ food.

If you are at your origin it shouldn't be an issue. If you are between connecting flights or on the return you will generally get AC minimum and this is where insurance comes in handy.

For flights from YWG to YYZ or YVR or something similar, the 10% off is good, especially if you already have a discount code.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1578 posts
300 upvotes
Gatineau
is this deal only for the west?

At Sobeys, Safeway, and Save-On-Foods locations in Western Canada (subject to availability)
Dec 12, 2010
459 posts
59 upvotes
dammit I just booked a ticket to HK last night before I saw this thread. Has anyone have luck calling in and changing their payment option?
I tried this morning but got no luck, wondering if its dependent on the agent.
Sep 27, 2017
13 posts
5 upvotes
Any good Air Canada Promotion Codes currently out there?

Would be great for stacking!