Expired Hot Deals

[Sobeys] 10% Off Air Canada Gift Cards

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 11:00 pm
Dec 4, 2008
315 posts
80 upvotes
As far as I can tell for the Scotia Gold AMEX, need to charge 75% (or more) of trip to card for most coverage to count. Trip delay/cancellation, baggage lost insurance, etc.

The only one that I couldn't find terms for was the Travel Medical coverage - no indication of how to get the coverage (e.g. how much travel to charge to card...).
Sep 27, 2017
13 posts
5 upvotes
kwanyeung20 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:22 am
is this deal only for the west?

At Sobeys, Safeway, and Save-On-Foods locations in Western Canada (subject to availability)
All Canada I think.

Starts today in Atlantic and tomorrow in Ontario and Western Canada.
Oct 7, 2008
782 posts
99 upvotes
Can one pay for aeroplan redemption with air Canada gift cards?
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1307 posts
325 upvotes
10% off an overseas flight (014 AC stock ticket but half *A carriers) and use my AMEX to pay for the rest...

...or use my AMEX to pay the full amount and have coverage?

Decision...
Nov 26, 2014
470 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I used airfrance and my baggage was delayed. They send to me via express to another city in France (save me a lot because I traveled by train and I don’t wanna carry a 25kg baggage) and they even compensate me all clothes and daily necessities I bought.
Anyhow, 2.5% for a $1000 international is still $25. Good deal. Anyone know if there is $500 ac gift card?
Mar 11, 2012
343 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Before everyone gets too excited about this deal, beware that there are some not too cool restrictions per the AC website:

"For ticket purchases, you can use up to two (2) gift cards provided that the total cost of the ticket purchase is covered fully by the (2) two gift cards.

Unfortunately, because of system limitations, when purchasing a seat or travel option for an existing reservation, only one (1) form of payment will be accepted. If the gift card has a working balance lower than the cost of the fee or travel option, please pay with another form of payment.

At this time, the Air Canada Gift card cannot be used toward the payment of:

Air Canada Vacations packages
onboard purchases (e.g. headsets, beverages, duty-free items)
Aeroplan or other reward travel tickets
Air Canada Cargo products and services
tickets purchased as part of a group booking
hotel reservations, car rentals or RBC travel insurance
another gift card
a Flight Pass purchase
Air Canada Maple Leaf Club membership fee"
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1307 posts
325 upvotes
tsk888 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:58 am
Before everyone gets too excited about this deal, beware that there are some not too cool restrictions per the AC website:

"For ticket purchases, you can use up to two (2) gift cards provided that the total cost of the ticket purchase is covered fully by the (2) two gift cards.
So what's the max value you can get for the GC? Because that rule sucks for, ie, an overseas flight ticket in J
Mar 11, 2012
343 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Seks wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:05 pm
So what's the max value you can get for the GC? Because that rule sucks for, ie, an overseas flight ticket in J
Max value at Sobeys is $500, so since most of the international flights I take cost over $1000, I am out of luck and that sucks. That is really a stupid rule for AC.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6829 posts
1461 upvotes
Toronto
That's a lot of restrictions on use of the AC GCs.

I would still use CC for flights to get the insurance coverage, and maybe buy a GC for some odd purchases.

But there are so many restriction, especially onboard purchases, makes this GC not too useful.
Dec 11, 2003
163 posts
15 upvotes
Seks wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:05 pm
If my flight ticket costs $1,300, can I use 2 gift cards of $500 each and then pay the remaining $300 with credit card?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2002
2730 posts
671 upvotes
Vancouver
padfoot wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:04 pm
If my flight ticket costs $1,300, can I use 2 gift cards of $500 each and then pay the remaining $300 with credit card?
No.. AC.com has a restriction of either 2 gift cards or 1 gift card and credit card payment. If you use 2 gift cards, they must cover the entire fare.

Ron.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1307 posts
325 upvotes
tsk888 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:18 pm
Max value at Sobeys is $500, so since most of the international flights I take cost over $1000, I am out of luck and that sucks. That is really a stupid rule for AC.
Let's say $950 for a flight. So $500x2. Problem is, what are you going to do with the remaining $50?
Dec 11, 2003
163 posts
15 upvotes
newfbc wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:16 pm
No.. AC.com has a restriction of either 2 gift cards or 1 gift card and credit card payment. If you use 2 gift cards, they must cover the entire fare.

Ron.
Thanks, I read again the T&Cs and it seems that I can pay the entire $1,300 with my credit card, and then request to apply the gift cards and obtain a refund back to my credit card.

Unfortunately, because of system limitations, when purchasing a seat or travel option for an existing reservation, only one (1) form of payment will be accepted. If the gift card has a working balance lower than the cost of the fee or travel option, please pay with another form of payment. However, we will be able to apply the credit from your card and effect a refund following these instructions: After the transaction, you can complete the Customer Assistance Form, provide the proof of used form of payment and include the details of the unused Air Canada Gift Card or eGift Card to receive a refund of the applicable value to your original form of payment.
Dec 3, 2003
315 posts
49 upvotes
Kanata
padfoot wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:33 pm
Thanks, I read again the T&Cs and it seems that I can pay the entire $1,300 with my credit card, and then request to apply the gift cards and obtain a refund back to my credit card.

Unfortunately, because of system limitations, when purchasing a seat or travel option for an existing reservation, only one (1) form of payment will be accepted. If the gift card has a working balance lower than the cost of the fee or travel option, please pay with another form of payment. However, we will be able to apply the credit from your card and effect a refund following these instructions: After the transaction, you can complete the Customer Assistance Form, provide the proof of used form of payment and include the details of the unused Air Canada Gift Card or eGift Card to receive a refund of the applicable value to your original form of payment.
The key words in the paragraph above are "a seat or travel option." i.e. that paragraph does NOT refer to your ticket purchase. It ONLY refers to the costs associated to upgrading your seat to a preferred seat or some other random travel option (e.g. purchasing lounge access).

Source: Me, as I spent a solid 30 minutes on the phone with Air Canada about this exact topic a few months ago.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2005
1734 posts
686 upvotes
I RFD wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:50 am
Can one pay for aeroplan redemption with air Canada gift cards?
NO