• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 11:00 pm
Nov 3, 2009
616 posts
173 upvotes
Calgary
Otakoo wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 12:48 pm
Can we stack this with the Masterpass promo from the other thread?
No. You have to check out with masterpass. You can't use GC.
Mar 4, 2009
701 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
footmark wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 11:04 am
Thanks OP. Bought a few GCs on the weekend.

When checking the GC balance on Air Canada's website, it required the card #, pin and the postal code of Sobeys store where I purchased the GC from. It doesn't tell you what postal code you have to enter from the website. I tried my home's postal code and it didn't work, then the postal code of the Sobeys store and it work. I have to Google the store's postal code, it is not on the receipt.
Interesting. So this protects against scammers who scan the GC # before it reaches individual store. Not the ones that scan the GC # at the store. But that's what PIN is for I suppose.
If they do ask for this postal code when actually using the GC that would be additional security layer.

I might get couple of these cards even though I am not planning to book a flight in near future. Will just have to periodically check the balance to make sure.
Nov 11, 2017
7 posts
ibuddler wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 1:01 pm
No. You have to check out with masterpass. You can't use GC.
So it's not possible to apply gift card first to pay partial amount and then check out with Masterpass to pay the remainder?
May 26, 2005
518 posts
108 upvotes
Otakoo wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 2:13 pm
So it's not possible to apply gift card first to pay partial amount and then check out with Masterpass to pay the remainder?
It is totally possible. I paid for a $800 flight that way.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
3183 posts
945 upvotes
Edmonton
When the Air Canada site asks for a postal code during a balance inquiry, it seems to work with any postal code (e.g. H0H 0H0).
Mar 4, 2009
701 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
ChinpokoMon wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 2:55 pm
When the Air Canada site asks for a postal code during a balance inquiry, it seems to work with any postal code (e.g. H0H 0H0).
lol.. well done Air Canada.

So anyone here buying this GC without planning to spend it immediately/very soon?
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1302 posts
319 upvotes
ChinpokoMon wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 2:55 pm
the best airline in north America...not
Feb 28, 2012
43 posts
12 upvotes
For international roundtrip above $1,000 ($500 GC x2), could you book going and returning separately, so you can you use up to 4 gift cards for the trip?
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
3183 posts
945 upvotes
Edmonton
A0958824316 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:30 am
For international roundtrip above $1,000 ($500 GC x2), could you book going and returning separately, so you can you use up to 4 gift cards for the trip?
You can book departure/return trips separately, but they'll be considered one-way fares, which typically cost a lot more than return fares.
Oct 10, 2011
8 posts
3 upvotes
Do the gift cards expire at any time and is there any fee involved with activation or not using it for a while in the terms?
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2007
1076 posts
278 upvotes
Toronto
CC covers so many different travel insurance that it isn't worth 10% savings imo.

Last March I was stuck in Osaka due to snowstorm in Toronto. Had to fight with UA counter (not AC but still somewhat same tier airline lol) to get myself a next day flight - initially was a 2 day delay. But still they refused to provide me any accommodation or meals due to weather delay (aka not their fault). TD aeroplan visa infinite covered it all. Over $300 money back. Those travel insurances are invaluable even for the simplest conditions.
Mar 4, 2009
701 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
eeto wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 3:43 pm
CC covers so many different travel insurance that it isn't worth 10% savings imo.

Last March I was stuck in Osaka due to snowstorm in Toronto. Had to fight with UA counter (not AC but still somewhat same tier airline lol) to get myself a next day flight - initially was a 2 day delay. But still they refused to provide me any accommodation or meals due to weather delay (aka not their fault). TD aeroplan visa infinite covered it all. Over $300 money back. Those travel insurances are invaluable even for the simplest conditions.
I think it depends. Most of the time you are probably right, but if the person is traveling direct flight within NA, and planning to book now/very soon, it might be worth it.
Also some people have very simple credit cards that doesn't come with a good travel insurance.