• Nov 18th, 2012 11:33 pm
Tags:
None
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6507 posts
278 upvotes
Pigeu wrote: we boiled one up earlier for dinner, very meaty.

anyone have any good duck recipes?
You boiled the duck??? :puke:

Roast it properly (score the skin first), or cut it in pieces and look for duck magret and duck confit.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2447 posts
239 upvotes
Brampton
mart242 wrote: You boiled the duck??? :puke:

Roast it properly (score the skin first), or cut it in pieces and look for duck magret and duck confit.

I'm going to take a stab at it and guess that you're Caucasian...or at least not asian, but I'm sure my first guess is right.
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14093 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
toeknee89 wrote: I'm going to take a stab at it and guess that you're Caucasian...or at least not asian, but I'm sure my first guess is right.
This. Very much this.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9313 posts
5564 upvotes
Can someone explain what boiled duck looks and tastes like? Based on some previous responses this is a perfectly normal, asian method of preparation.

Frankly, it sounds very unappetizing.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14093 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
Toukolou wrote: Can someone explain what boiled duck looks and tastes like? Based on some previous responses this is a perfectly normal, asian method of preparation.

A clean, duck taste. People think its also weird to boil a chicken, but boiling it just cooks the meat whilst making it moist. Both duck and chicken will just have a plain, clean taste to it if you eat as is.

Then again, some folks won't eat the chicken just is. If it were chicken, it'd be accompanied by a ginger/scallion/oil mix. Boiling a duck or chicken can also be just a step in a series of steps and not an end of itself. In which case boiling cooks the fowl that might be followed up by being chopped up and cooked in some sauce (hoisin sauce, soy sauce), or shredded and used in other dishes (fried rice, soup, stir fry, etc.). Or maybe as stuffing in some sort of dumpling or bun. Or in congee/rice porridge/jook.

A host of things, really. Duck is consumed by millions of people from many food cultures who either share or have different cooking technologies and methods. It'd be naiive to think in an oven or on a pan are the only ways to cook a duck

If anything, a person who sticks to just roasting or pan frying/cooking might consider others weird if they boiled a duck. But to people for whom boiling is typical, they might think that think the same towards people who roast or pan-fry. And those who are open to different methods might think that a person is limited/narrowminded when there are a host of things beyond roasting/pan-cooking that a duck could be treated with.

As for how it'd look -- presumably it depends on what kind of duck you purchased. For example, not all boiled chickens will look the same because it depends on the species of chicken. Case in point:

[IMG]http://i-cdn.apartmenttherapy.com/uimag ... hicken.jpg[/IMG]

A boiled Silkie carcass will look different than a typical bird from the typical supermarket.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52922 posts
18114 upvotes
ONTARIO
Toukolou wrote: Can someone explain what boiled duck looks and tastes like? Based on some previous responses this is a perfectly normal, asian method of preparation.

Its just a cultural thing.

Asians eat boiled meat.

The taste isn't bad. Its just the only taste is the meat. So it'll have a very fresh taste. Its also extremely tender and moist.

Its just a difference in culture. While white peopple may find boiled meat disgusting...
Asians might find cheese made out of milk squeezed out of a cows nipple and hardened... and possibly aged to a point of mouldiness and stinkiness disgusting. :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
mods.
is there a way to call someone an a-hole without getting dinged with infraction points?
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Guru
May 25, 2011
10100 posts
14411 upvotes
toeknee89 wrote: I'm going to take a stab at it and guess that you're rude...or at least not asian, but I'm sure my first guess is right.
Fixed.
Not all of us are that pathetic.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2447 posts
239 upvotes
Brampton
ishfish wrote: Fixed.
Not all of us are that pathetic.
Oh, yes. Sorry for generalizing the entire race. I just wanted to point out the difference in culture without having to type too much.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9313 posts
5564 upvotes
With the exception of Urban Poet and 45ED nobody has attempted to offer anything moderately enlightening to the ignorant posters on this thread (myself included). How about maybe trying to explain the virtue of eating boiled duck. Some of us are here to try and learn, not just share our own 'genius' with the rest of the hoi polloi.

You're right, the fact I find the prospect of eating a boiled duck (can't you guys be objective enough about how offputting that sounds to a non-boiled duck eater) unappealing, exposes me for the narrowminded bigot I really am. :facepalm:

I would expect this even from a person who enjoys eating mouldy cheese, to try and explain the appeal of it, rather than falling back on a facile argument accusing someone who finds it objectionable of not sharing the same cultural ancestry.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Oct 24, 2012
23 posts
2 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Urm. I have no idea of Pigeu' version of "boiled duck". I looked a korean recipe. basically it's kind of stew. gonna translate it.

Ingredienets : Duck, Miso paste 3T(originally korean fermented bean paste), Garlic diced 1.5 T, Chilli powder 7T, Ginger diced .25 T, Soju 1 Cup(Any Alchol that remove meat smell), Green Onion 2, Onion 1, Chilli pepper 5,
Chinese celery 10, Perilla frutescen 10, rice 1/2 cup, Seseme Seed powder 4T, Salt and Pepper for preference.

1. put rice in water for an hour to make it soft. grind it with half cup of water using food processor or blender
2. Cut Onion about 1/3 inch thick. Cut Chinese celery 2~3 inch long. Cut Chilli pepper and Perilla frutescen
3. Cut Duck to 2~3 inch pieces and wash.
4. Boil water in a big pot that enough to put the duck.
5. put duck in boiling water and 1cup of soju(rice wine, alchol). when the water boiling again, take out duck and wash in cold water. let it sit in sieve to drain water.
6. put duck, 7 cup of water, miso 3T, garlic , chilli powder, ginger, soju 1/3 cup, black pepper to a pot and boil 5 min on strong/max fire then 15 min on mid fire.
7. put diced onion, gound rice while stirring for 3 min on mid fire.
8. put green onion, chilli pepper, sesame seed powder. it's done when the green onion is cooked
9. serve with Chinese celery, Chilli pepper and Perilla frutescen on duck.

Here's photo and original korean recipe

http://hls3790.tistory.com/401
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
Toukolou wrote: With the exception of Urban Poet and 45ED nobody has attempted to offer anything moderately enlightening to the ignorant posters on this thread
i don't need a lecturing, and nor does that AH.
drstein wrote: Urm. I have no idea of Pigeu' version of "boiled duck". I looked a korean recipe. basically it's kind of stew. gonna translate it.

Ingredienets : Duck, Miso paste 3T(originally korean fermented bean paste), Garlic diced 1.5 T, Chilli powder 7T, Ginger diced .25 T, Soju 1 Cup(Any Alchol that remove meat smell), Green Onion 2, Onion 1, Chilli pepper 5,
Chinese celery 10, Perilla frutescen 10, rice 1/2 cup, Seseme Seed powder 4T, Salt and Pepper for preference.

1. put rice in water for an hour to make it soft. grind it with half cup of water using food processor or blender
2. Cut Onion about 1/3 inch thick. Cut Chinese celery 2~3 inch long. Cut Chilli pepper and Perilla frutescen
3. Cut Duck to 2~3 inch pieces and wash.
4. Boil water in a big pot that enough to put the duck.
5. put duck in boiling water and 1cup of soju(rice wine, alchol). when the water boiling again, take out duck and wash in cold water. let it sit in sieve to drain water.
6. put duck, 7 cup of water, miso 3T, garlic , chilli powder, ginger, soju 1/3 cup, black pepper to a pot and boil 5 min on strong/max fire then 15 min on mid fire.
7. put diced onion, gound rice while stirring for 3 min on mid fire.
8. put green onion, chilli pepper, sesame seed powder. it's done when the green onion is cooked
9. serve with Chinese celery, Chilli pepper and Perilla frutescen on duck.

Here's photo and original korean recipe

http://hls3790.tistory.com/401
i had a duck stew in Jeju island in korea a few years ago. duck is not a common ingredient in korea.
it was made using the bones alone, the meat was grilled on table top. what a fantastic meal. cheap too, i think it was like $30 for 4 of us. we had to double confirm the price when we were paying.

the host turned into a hostess of sort. it turned out that the owner is also a master of regional traditional dance, and since we were the only customers at the time, he broke out an impromptu performance for us, treating us with dances and songs. he was so FLAMING as hell, which is quite unusual in korea. it was one of the most memorable times i had in korea. it was clear that he wasn't getting that many gigs anymore, because he was getting old, he looked to be between 40-50, and him oozing FLAMING at that age probably didn't help. it felt like he was dying for an audience. he very obviously loved what he was doing, and it was entertaining and saddening at the same time.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Apr 29, 2010
982 posts
171 upvotes
Ancaster
these ducks are big so we boil them for about 40 mins, then 5 min off the heat

we eat it with steamed rice + a dip consisting of fish sauce, ginger, red chilies, sesame seeds, peanut butter and sugar... might sound 'gross' but it tastes amazing! it looks something like this except this is without peanut butter:

[IMG]http://www.lamsao.com/Thumbnail/Large/R ... 20gung.jpg[/IMG]

another way we prepare duck is marinating it in chow tofu? those stinky fermented bean curds that come in little jars, making a nice stew out of it with purple yam and serving it almost like a hot pot with fresh watercress over vermicelli or steamed rice
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52922 posts
18114 upvotes
ONTARIO
Popular 'boiled' meats...

Pho. Pho actually has RAW slices of tender beef thrown into the soup to cook... and Vietnamese food is one of those 'trendy asian foods' that westerners love to eat. Its like the new 'thai food'.

It went from exotic 'Chinese food' to 'Thai' and I guess now its 'Vietnamese'. The adventerous always have a thing for Indian food though. The variety of spices is quite impressive, which is what makes their cuisine unique and special in their own way.
Deal Guru
May 25, 2011
10100 posts
14411 upvotes
toeknee89 wrote: Oh, yes. Sorry for generalizing the entire race. I just wanted to point out the difference in culture without having to type too much.
Oh no, your point was understood.
I too am a minimalist typer. :)