• Nov 18th, 2012 11:33 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8443 posts
2348 upvotes
Toronto
When you make chicken noodle soup, isn't the chicken boiled? If so, then what's so odd about boiling a duck?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6507 posts
278 upvotes
appleb wrote: When you make chicken noodle soup, isn't the chicken boiled? If so, then what's so odd about boiling a duck?
I this case you're flavoring the broth, not really using the broth to cook the chicken (even though it does). When boiling something, you're missing out the the maillard reaction!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
mart242 wrote: I this case you're flavoring the broth, not really using the broth to cook the chicken (even though it does). When boiling something, you're missing out the the maillard reaction!
so i guess, you don't boil or steam anything, because it makes you puke?
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6507 posts
278 upvotes
ippon wrote: so i guess, you don't boil or steam anything, because it makes you puke?
Nah. It just seems to be a waste of a duck. I guess that I see a boiled duck as the equivalent of a boiled steak.

Onto the main subject: had one of the ducks I bought for dinner: pretty damn good. I'll definitely go buy a few more this week and freeze them.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
mart242 wrote: Nah. It just seems to be a waste of a duck. I guess that I see a boiled duck as the equivalent of a boiled steak.

Onto the main subject: had one of the ducks I bought for dinner: pretty damn good. I'll definitely go buy a few more this week and freeze them.
frozen duck? puke puke puke.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Feb 2, 2009
512 posts
45 upvotes
Kanata
My teochow(潮州 Chaozhou) neighbour told me a "Salted Pickled Lemon Duck Soup" recipe before and I made it once. It was pretty good, but not my preferred way of preparing a duck. It is said to be a specialty dish of the Teochow cuisine. It increases one's appetite during the hot and steamy summer season.
Feb 2, 2009
512 posts
45 upvotes
Kanata
ippon wrote: frozen duck? puke puke puke.
Consider yourself lucky living in Toronto where you can get fresh poultry for a decent price.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)