• Jan 2nd, 2018 8:50 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 11, 2012
165 posts
14 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Sobeys at Rurtherford/Bathurst no longer 24/7

Is there a general Sobey's thread or not?

In any case, I am not sure if this is in isolation or happening at other 24/7 Sobey's but the one at Rurtherford/Bathurst is no longer 24 hours starting January 2nd 2018, the sign at the entrance says the new hours are 6AM-midnight
12 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30568 posts
5064 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I thought they all closed at Midnight. The one at Yonge, just north of Elgin Mills switched to midnight in the spring of last year.
[OP]
Jan 11, 2012
165 posts
14 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Never realized that, so they are slowly moving to non 24/7 maybe? In my experience the Longo's - for example the one across the street from this Sobey's - has always been busier, I don't think Sobey's is doing all that well.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30568 posts
5064 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
baresi wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 12:43 pm
Never realized that, so they are slowly moving to non 24/7 maybe? In my experience the Longo's - for example the one across the street from this Sobey's - has always been busier, I don't think Sobey's is doing all that well.
The argument was that they stocked the shelves at night, since people are there working, why not stay open?

They have decided to stock during the day and eliminate the night staff. Maybe the minimum wage increase has something to do with it.

I think Sobeys and other grocery stores are taking a hit from Walmart. Longos is more high end, I doubt they are competition for Sobeys.
[OP]
Jan 11, 2012
165 posts
14 upvotes
Richmond Hill
You are right about that.

Although if higher end means higher prices (surely the main difference right?) then I can say for sure Longo's is not more expensive than Sobey's, not around here at least.
I check flyers and go to both often, for most stuff drive to No Frills but Longos and Sobey's are walking distance...
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30568 posts
5064 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
baresi wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 12:54 pm
if higher end means higher prices (surely the main difference right?) then I can say for sure Longo's is not more expensive than Sobey's, not around here at least.
I check flyers and go to both often, for most stuff drive to No Frills but Longos and Sobey's are walking distance...
I think the meats are higher quality at Longos. They are usually more expensive. I prefer the meat at Longos over Costco.

No Frills? You must go to the one across from Hillcrest Mall at 16th and Yonge. That’s not that far from Sobeys.

Even though Sobeys and Longos is within walking distance, you probably still drive. Unless you like carrying multiple bags of groceries home
[OP]
Jan 11, 2012
165 posts
14 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Close enough to walk and I often don't buy many big items from Longos and Sobey's, drive to 16th/Yonge No Frills for bigger items. May be Sobey's has meat flyer specials more often than Longos, regular price I haven't noticed difference but you may be right of course.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2769 posts
637 upvotes
They were 24/7? I had no idea

That location, I know there are other stores open 24 hours
Last edited by Squirrel99 on Jan 1st, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14749 posts
2772 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 12:37 pm
I thought they all closed at Midnight. The one at Yonge, just north of Elgin Mills switched to midnight in the spring of last year.
BigJonsson wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 8:20 pm
They were 24/7? I had no idea
Depends on location. There were various locations in Toronto open 24 hr.
I'm not sure what Sobey's is currently doing, but I do know Metro for sure is cutting back store hours in Ontario.
"Metro has said it expects to incur $45-$50 million in extra costs in 2018 from the minimum wage hike in Ontario, and in response La Fleche said the company hopes to improve productivity and will scale back hours at some stores.
“Some 24-hour stores will no longer be 24-hour stores,” he said. “We have to manage the hours the best we can without reducing customer service.”"
SOURCE: http://business.financialpost.com/news/ ... tore-hours
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
13 posts
Damn it, the same for Sobey's in Ajax.

7 AM-11 PM is the new hours, as I just found out now
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30568 posts
5064 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
playnicee1 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 1:22 am
I'm not sure what Sobey's is currently doing, but I do know Metro for sure is cutting back store hours in Ontario.
Oddly enough, the Metro near me is still 24 hours.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14749 posts
2772 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 2:26 am
Oddly enough, the Metro near me is still 24 hours.
By chance, it might stay that way if there is not already a Metro close by.
I'm guessing it also depends on how busy a Metro store is late at night as well...
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30568 posts
5064 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
playnicee1 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 5:19 am
By chance, it might stay that way if there is not already a Metro close by.
I'm guessing it also depends on how busy a Metro store is late at night as well...
It’s not busy.

Sobeys is open at 6 am, probably to stock shelves. I think Metro will do the same.