Tags:
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
2245 posts
1634 upvotes
Toronto
mathiewannabe wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 8:56 am
Just over 1 yr ago, i got precon in yorkville for around low 900 $ psqft at a relatively high floor incl. Floor premiums.

Never wouldve thought someone would be paying over 1100$ in yonge and dundas one year later.lol
is this, a humble brag?
It's always good to be underestimated.---Donald Trump

I never downvote anyone and I try to help everyone.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
4301 posts
1417 upvotes
Glancealot wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 1:25 pm
is this, a humble brag?
Is it? Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Illustrating how expensive this social condo is..

And some time after that (maybe it was late last yr), max condos at yonge and dundas were priced at under $900 psqft..... I think right east to this social condo...

Also few months back - september of this year!, church at charles st. E near yonge bloor sold below 1000 psqft, which imo is a better deal and location than yonge and dundas.
[OP]
Sep 22, 2011
22 posts
3 upvotes
mathiewannabe wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 8:56 am
Just over 1 yr ago, i got precon in yorkville for around low 900 $ psqft at a relatively high floor incl. Floor premiums.

Never wouldve thought someone would be paying over 1100$ in yonge and dundas one year later.lol
Mostly every condo in the downtown core has appreciated....even ones with a history of terrible management. I was looking at the church and charles condo, but it sold out within a few days. Only one bedroom left at $1000+ per sq ft.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
4301 posts
1417 upvotes
burning123 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 2:06 pm
I was looking at the church and charles condo, but it sold out within a few days. Only one bedroom left at $1000+ per sq ft.
No wonder... You literally just have to buy first and think later in this situation because you have 7 days cooldown to think it over.

Even at 1000+psqft, it's probably better than social condos.. i assume that unit was a high floor unit.
[OP]
Sep 22, 2011
22 posts
3 upvotes
mathiewannabe wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 2:12 pm
No wonder... You literally just have to buy first and think later in this situation because you have 7 days cooldown to think it over.

Even at 1000+psqft, it's probably better than social condos.. i assume that unit was a high floor unit.
It's a 10 day cooling period - I just purchased at Social Condos and was able to receive a 1 bed + den unit at $940 per sq ft (lower floor facing Church). Locker pricing is crazy, they want $8500 and even at that price, you have to be placed on a waiting list. Theres no visitor parking. The one thing I like is the long closing....occupancy is slated at 2022.

By the time the project is finished, the area will be much better as nearby projects in the area (Fleur Condos) are going to be completed by 2020.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
4301 posts
1417 upvotes
burning123 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 2:16 pm
It's a 10 day cooling period - I just purchased at Social Condos and was able to receive a 1 bed + den unit at $940 per sq ft (lower floor facing Church).
That doesn't seem bad actually if you like the yonge and dundas area...
[OP]
Sep 22, 2011
22 posts
3 upvotes
Area is bit seedy, but I'm sure it'll improve over time with numerous projects occurring in the nearby area. Right across the street is a Pizza Pizza with a huge parking lot - I'm sure there will be a condo developed eventually....
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
42007 posts
10385 upvotes
This is still better than Carlton and Sherbourne, correct? :)

Read some discussion on reddit on that area but eventually things will get gentrified?
[OP]
Sep 22, 2011
22 posts
3 upvotes
Sounds like I need to go out at night to experience the area. The reddit discussion is outdated....three years old. Lots of new construction, Ryerson is putting up a new building right on Church (behind the esso station). Many new developments up and about the area.

Seems like the price has increased by 30+ K.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
4301 posts
1417 upvotes
burning123 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 4:54 pm
Sounds like I need to go out at night to experience the area. The reddit discussion is outdated....three years old. Lots of new construction, Ryerson is putting up a new building right on Church (behind the esso station). Many new developments up and about the area.

Seems like the price has increased by 30+ K.
Social condo is not close to sherborne and carlton.. wouldn't worry about it..
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5190 posts
709 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 3:54 pm

Read some discussion on reddit on that area but eventually things will get gentrified?
I mean at nearly $1000/sq ft do you expect your neighbors to be bums?

The X factor for the area will be what happens to all of the co-op housing, social programs etc. Lot of homeless shelters, drug clinics and stuff in the area. I'm sure as the area goes up in value people will try to push these businesses out, but it really depends on how the city wants to zone and what the organizations want to do.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
42007 posts
10385 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 6:52 pm
I mean at nearly $1000/sq ft do you expect your neighbors to be bums?

The X factor for the area will be what happens to all of the co-op housing, social programs etc. Lot of homeless shelters, drug clinics and stuff in the area. I'm sure as the area goes up in value people will try to push these businesses out, but it really depends on how the city wants to zone and what the organizations want to do.
Bums don't have a place to stay so price per sq ft doesn't matter to them, more the accessibility to everything else.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2008
4591 posts
716 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 3:54 pm

Sherbourne and Carlton is actually a decent area.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2008
4591 posts
716 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 10:33 pm
And you kid me not? I'm not attractive so...
https://www.reddit.com/r/askTO/comments ... ially_for/
I don't have time to read through that but I'm not the biggest fan of Reddit. I will say Sherbourne is bad from Gerard to queen. I would avoid there. That stretch needs to be cleaned up. But north of that gets better then up past Wellesley to bloor is completely different with condos and expensive houses. They're really building up there. But specifically Sherbourne and Carlton? No issue at all with that location and walk there at night all the time. Will you run into the odd junkie? Perhaps. If you're from the burbs then might be scary. I've lived downtown for over a decade so I've seen everything.