Social Insurance Number - Open Records

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2018 8:28 am
Jan 4, 2017
336 posts
179 upvotes
darwoodcanada wrote:
Apr 18th, 2018 2:50 am
Actually it's only required when their is income generated. IE the account pays interest. A chequing account with 0 interest, your sin number is NOT required.
can't speak to the investment accounts, but last year while the gf visited here from Philippines (ie, not a Canadian citizen), TD had no problem opening a savings account and credit card in her name with (obviously) no Canadian SIN. Her account has since been generating (very little, but not zero) interest.

I think you pretty much have to accept that your SIN (among much, much, much more of your personal information) will be "out there" if you expect to avail of their services. I wonder what the fixation is on the SIN, specifically, over everything else? You can either make peace with the fact and the use the service, or just avoid, that's basically the choice.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1739 posts
943 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
zcypher wrote:
Apr 18th, 2018 7:47 am
can't speak to the investment accounts, but last year while the gf visited here from Philippines (ie, not a Canadian citizen), TD had no problem opening a savings account and credit card in her name with (obviously) no Canadian SIN. Her account has since been generating (very little, but not zero) interest.

I think you pretty much have to accept that your SIN (among much, much, much more of your personal information) will be "out there" if you expect to avail of their services. I wonder what the fixation is on the SIN, specifically, over everything else? You can either make peace with the fact and the use the service, or just avoid, that's basically the choice.
If you aren't married or don't have kids with your girlfriend, and she has no home in Canada and was physically present for less than 6 months, then her income probably isn't reportable here. In any case, of course the bank can't pull a SIN if there is none, but they still would have required at least one piece of uniquely identifiable Canadian government ID - in her case, it was probably a Visitor Record (IMM 1442) from CBSA. Then if she ever became a resident and got a SIN, there would be a paper trail for the bank to link it.

Documentation here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... tatus.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-cons ... count.html
You need someone with an umbrella not a fork