Students

sociology degree from a good university?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2018 2:37 am
[OP]
Oct 3, 2018
1 posts

sociology degree from a good university?

guys... uoft is a university of my dreams and i want soooo much. im not into engineering or accounting, manager something. (I have no requirement credits actually lol) but my english grade will be nice i guess, also other courses avarage is nice. i'm thinking sociology. this is really fun to me, but after graduating can i make good money? can i find a job?????
11 replies
May 19, 2015
584 posts
194 upvotes
Short answer is no. Liberal arts and even life sciences have difficulty finding jobs without more education or co-op experiences which UofT does not provide for those fields (unless you do something like cell bio co-op). You can find A job - Starbucks or something but not relevant to your field. Or if you have good experiences you might be able to get through student hiring for the government. But even then it's a stretch, and requires you to have good skills and experiences that a normal degree wont get you.

Also what is "nice" suppose to mean? UofT's cut off entrance % is much different from what they actually accept to let you in, or alternatively they let you in and then fail you first year... has happened to many people. It's how UofT makes money.
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13720 posts
1280 upvotes
If you get good grades in sociology and apply to a professional program you can make good money.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
12899 posts
1511 upvotes
zeyyy12 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 5:22 pm
guys... uoft is a university of my dreams and i want soooo much. im not into engineering or accounting, manager something. (I have no requirement credits actually lol) but my english grade will be nice i guess, also other courses avarage is nice. i'm thinking sociology. this is really fun to me, but after graduating can i make good money? can i find a job?????
B.A in sociology from any university does not give you much unless you already have secured a job from somewhere. You would need to continue to get your post-graduate degree (M.A/ M.Ed..) where you may see a better employment opportunity.
Jul 31, 2017
299 posts
76 upvotes
As a qualification by itself, a sociology degree isn't really worth anything.
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
16 posts
5 upvotes
I have a sociology, it is a degree you need to pursue more schooling afterwards. It is hard to find a job with just a sociology degree- so you must obtain further schooling. Many people go onto teachers college, law school, advertising and media, journalism school. I have my sociology degree from york university which isba great school!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5537 posts
3146 upvotes
Richmond Hill
UofT is where dreams go to die
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
May 19, 2015
584 posts
194 upvotes
aeba7 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 12:28 pm
UofTears or UofTorture haha take your pick Face With Tears Of Joy

Aside: UofT grad so I can say this
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
Jun 12, 2008
625 posts
65 upvotes
Ripley
Agree with the others - don't go for sociology. I am trying to convince my kids to stay away from all "ology" degrees.

I graduated with a BA in Sociology in 1993 and have never had a job that required a university degree. It used to be a good way to get into working in banks (way back in the old days) but now you only need a high school diploma.
Aug 18, 2018
261 posts
166 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
aeba7 wrote:
Good thing I had no dreams when I started at UofT then lmao
Aug 18, 2018
261 posts
166 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
aeba7 wrote:
Good thing I had no dreams when I started at UofT then lmao
Jan 8, 2010
115 posts
29 upvotes
My buddy did a sociology degree and went to law school. Only do it if you think you're academically capable enough to get into high caliber graduate/professional degree programs. The degree alone has little value, like most others BA and BSc degrees in the job market. Employers want experience and practical skills, which these kind of programs don't really give you.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report- ... cle4507579
No one told me that an English degree was not an acceptable prerequisite for even the most basic grunt positions," says Adelle Farrelly, a recent graduate with a bachelor of arts from McGill University and a master of arts from the University of Toronto. When I finished my MA I found myself working at a coffee chain surrounded by fellow students and recent graduates, all of us looking for that 'real job' and confused about our fate.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)