• Nov 8th, 2016 11:39 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 25, 2009
16 posts
3 upvotes

Sodastream Deals

I love this product. But I'm wondering where to go for the best deals with the syrups? They seem to me $6.99 a bottle everywhere. A year ago London Drugs had a great promotion, but never since. Walmart, when they first started carrying Sodastream, was $5.99 a bottle. But now they're $6.99. Lastly, why the hell is their Mountain Dew flavour not available in Canada? :)
17 replies
Jul 17, 2013
63 posts
5 upvotes
I buy the "official" sodastream flavours one at a time at Bed Bath and Beyond using their 20% off coupons. From time to time, I've found them on sale or discounted at Canadian Tire.

Most of the time, though, I flavour of fizzed water with lemon juice or those little water flavour enhancers. I find the kool-aid brand water enhancers taste really good with the carbonated water.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25741 posts
11096 upvotes
How much syrup do you go through?
If it's quite a bit and you know others with a sodastream you could get "real" BIBs from coke/Pepsi and split them. They're 20L though and it's a 5:1 ratio.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51334 posts
15935 upvotes
For the CO2 tank, what is the most cost-effective way of replacing it and avoiding to pay a deposit?

Can we get this from Bed Bath & Beyond or Home Outfitters with a 20% discount coupon? How does the exchange work?

I bought my wife a Soda Stream and it came with the 60L CO2 tank.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11695 posts
3042 upvotes
GTA
Bump for Alan's question ;)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mar 4, 2006
441 posts
112 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2016 3:18 pm
For the CO2 tank, what is the most cost-effective way of replacing it and avoiding to pay a deposit?

Can we get this from Bed Bath & Beyond or Home Outfitters with a 20% discount coupon? How does the exchange work?

You can get this and use regular paintball CO2 tank. You can then refill that at any paintball shop. Have not tried it myself but if the description is correct than it should work.

http://www.banggood.com/CO2-Sodastream- ... ds=myorder

Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51334 posts
15935 upvotes
davebert wrote:
Nov 6th, 2016 10:57 pm
alanbrenton wrote:

You can get this and use regular paintball CO2 tank. You can then refill that at any paintball shop. Have not tried it myself but if the description is correct than it should work.

http://www.banggood.com/CO2-Sodastream- ... ds=myorder

I had read the comments on that particular suggestion and yeah, I will pass on that idea as it will not be food grade and could pose a risk down the road. It's only $16 if I have my canister exchanged.

Thanks for sharing that piece of equipment though.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51334 posts
15935 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Nov 6th, 2016 9:12 am
I'd love the 20% off $16/17 on the exchange, haha.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5475 posts
1075 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
You can buy a 5lb CO2 canister from a home brewing shop. I purchased a filled 5lb aluminium bottle for $120. Refills costs vary, but most seem to be around $20. The standard sodastream cartridge contains around 450g of CO2, so you get 5x the gas for the same price. Since the CO2 is from a home brew shop and intended to carbonate beer, it's food grade stuff.

Then, you can buy the CGA320 to ACME thread adapter for US$95: http://www.trinitypaintball.com/SODA-ST ... tr1801.htm

All CO2 tanks need to be re-certified every 5 years, so you need to use a decent amount of CO2. The cheaper iron tanks weigh significantly more but you can do a straight swap at some places, bypassing the certification cost. Unfortunately, not all home brew stores do refills.

If you want to bypass the sodastream machine and do a DIY carbonator, you can buy a CO2 regulator for around $60, some length of tubing, a Corny keg ball lock and a carbonator cap. This same setup will also cost around $100 but you can now use any PET bottle and carbonate anything you want. The PET bottle to be reused must have have carbonated previously, otherwise, it may not have the proper strength.

I like my sparkling water snappy, so I have my regulator set to 42psi, the safety valve will pop at 45psi...
Last edited by rf134a on Nov 7th, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
Mar 4, 2006
441 posts
112 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 6th, 2016 11:03 pm

I had read the comments on that particular suggestion and yeah, I will pass on that idea as it will not be food grade and could pose a risk down the road. It's only $16 if I have my canister exchanged.

From my research on the Internet and if what I've read is true, there is only 2 grades of CO2. One use by everyone from wielding shops, bars, restaurants, food processing plants and paintball places. The other is medical grade, for medical uses and research where purity is very important.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51334 posts
15935 upvotes
rf134a wrote:
Nov 7th, 2016 1:38 am
Hugh Jass wrote:
You can buy a 5lb CO2 canister from a home brewing shop. I purchased a filled 5lb aluminium bottle for $120. Refills costs vary, but most seem to be around $20. The standard sodastream cartridge contains around 450g of CO2, so you get 11x the gas for the same price. Since the CO2 is from a home brew shop and intended to carbonate beer, it's food grade stuff.

Then, you can buy the CGA320 to ACME thread adapter for US$95: http://www.trinitypaintball.com/SODA-ST ... tr1801.htm

All CO2 tanks need to be re-certified every 5 years, so you need to use a decent amount of CO2. The cheaper iron tanks weigh significantly more but you can do a straight swap at some places, bypassing the certification cost. Unfortunately, not all home brew stores do refills.

If you want to bypass the sodastream machine and do a DIY carbonator, you can buy a CO2 regulator for around $60, some length of tubing, a Corny keg ball lock and a carbonator cap. This same setup will also cost around $100 but you can now use any PET bottle and carbonate anything you want. The PET bottle to be reused must have have carbonated previously, otherwise, it may not have the proper strength.

I like my sparkling water snappy, so I have my regulator set to 42psi, the safety valve will pop at 45psi...
From which home brew shop did you purchase yours if you are in the GTA? And where to you get them refilled? Thanks for trying to save me a bunch.

We only carbonate water so I think this beefier tank will go a long way. :)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5475 posts
1075 upvotes
I got mine from a local small business, Winning Wines Plus. Essentially, any home brew should have it. You'll have a LOT more stores to choose from in the GTA.

These guys have both the tanks and refills: https://torontobrewing.ca/index.php/keg ... tanks.html
I use a regulator similar to this but with a 1/4" barb with built-in check valve: https://torontobrewing.ca/index.php/keg ... onnet.html
You can buy some 1/4" PET tubing from Lowe's for around $0.50/ft. They are rated to 150 psi@21C, so it's highly unlikely you'll get anywhere near the rated pressure if the blowoff valve works properly.
Attach the tubing to a ball lock disconnect: https://torontobrewing.ca/index.php/shi ... arbed.html
Then, attach carbonation cap to any pet bottle: https://torontobrewing.ca/index.php/keg ... r-cap.html

If you cut the PET tubing to length, you can dip in boiling water for 10-15 seconds, making sure to get boiling water IN the tube. Then, squeeze onto the barbs. When the PET cools, it creates a very tight seal to the barbs and you don't even need hose clamps! I find letting the bottle "age" for around 10 minutes seems to have better fizz like store bought soda water.

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2012- ... ion-system
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
2717 posts
709 upvotes
Ontario
alanbrenton wrote:

You can use Bed bath and beyond 20% off coupon for the $20 tank exchange.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (2%+, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25741 posts
11096 upvotes
davebert wrote:
Nov 7th, 2016 9:28 am
alanbrenton wrote:

From my research on the Internet and if what I've read is true, there is only 2 grades of CO2. One use by everyone from wielding shops, bars, restaurants, food processing plants and paintball places. The other is medical grade, for medical uses and research where purity is very important.
This is true.
We (as a restaurant) got our gas from a welding supply place.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51334 posts
15935 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Nov 8th, 2016 7:35 am
davebert wrote:
Nov 7th, 2016 9:28 am
alanbrenton wrote:

This is true.
We (as a restaurant) got our gas from a welding supply place.
For your vending machines
?