None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Sodium (or Potassium) Citrate in Club Soda

What's the purpose of sodium (or potassium) citrate in club soda?

I've recently made the switch from sugared and diet soft drinks over to club soda. I'm about 75% successful, but I just can't give up the fizz - and club soda is a lot cheaper than say Perrier.

Since I always focused on the calorie count, it never occurred to me that sodium might be an issue, until I noticed that PC sells a low-sodium version.

Neither Coke nor Pepsi contain sodium (or potassium) citrate.

For comparison (all given in mg of sodium per 250mL of drink):
  • PC Club Soda (regular) - 60mg
  • PC Club Soda (low sodium) - 20mg (which is odd, because the ingredients list has potassium citrate but not sodium citrate)
  • Canada Dry Club Soda - 90mg
  • Coke - 28mg
  • Pepsi - 10mg
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2879 posts
242 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2012 5:42 pm
What's the purpose of sodium (or potassium) citrate in club soda?

I've recently made the switch from sugared and diet soft drinks over to club soda. I'm about 75% successful, but I just can't give up the fizz - and club soda is a lot cheaper than say Perrier.

Since I always focused on the calorie count, it never occurred to me that sodium might be an issue, until I noticed that PC sells a low-sodium version.

Neither Coke nor Pepsi contain sodium (or potassium) citrate.

For comparison (all given in mg of sodium per 250mL of drink):
  • PC Club Soda (regular) - 60mg
  • PC Club Soda (low sodium) - 20mg (which is odd, because the ingredients list has potassium citrate but not sodium citrate)
  • Canada Dry Club Soda - 90mg
  • Coke - 28mg
  • Pepsi - 10mg

It's nothing to worry about and may even be good for you. It basically regulates the acid that would otherwise be found in a carbonated beverage. Adding CO2 to water in this case, renders carbonic acid, and the potassium citrate is added to regulate it.

This being an alternative for you to standard sugary drinks is a BIG step in the right direction. Good on ya!
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2009
4999 posts
526 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
So, live with it. It is way below the recommended daaily amount from Health Canada,
And besides, the major studies implicating sodium and heart disease have been discredited, because the researchers had to re-work the data.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jayt90 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2012 6:16 pm
So, live with it. It is way below the recommended daaily amount from Health Canada,
And besides, the major studies implicating sodium and heart disease have been discredited, because the researchers had to re-work the data.
Uh, OK ........

I was just asking because I'm curious, and because I drink a lot of it (probably the equivalent of 4-5 cans a day).

I already don't salt my food.

Health Canada recommends a maximum of 2,300mg a day. So if I drink the "full sodium" version I'm already at 1/8 of my daily intake.
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Sibica wrote:
Apr 28th, 2012 6:15 pm
It's nothing to worry about and may even be good for you. It basically regulates the acid that would otherwise be found in a carbonated beverage. Adding CO2 to water in this case, renders carbonic acid, and the potassium citrate is added to regulate it.
Ah, so it's a buffer (high school chemistry slowly filtering back ....)
Sibica wrote:
Apr 28th, 2012 6:15 pm
This being an alternative for you to standard sugary drinks is a BIG step in the right direction. Good on ya!
Thanks for the encouragement! I had switched to Diet soda for years, but then I decided that I didn't necessarily want the artificial sweeteners as well. So I went back to sugared drinks, until I realized that Canada had mostly switched to HFCS as well.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2009
1923 posts
76 upvotes
Isn't there a difference between Carbonated water and Seltzer?

I believe Perrier carries CO2 only, where Club Soda carries sodium.
Feb 18, 2005
19 posts
ronin1701 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2012 5:42 pm

Coming at this tread a bit late but I just noticed this exact issue and it was bothering me too: Since there is 20mg of sodium on the nutrition label why the heck aren't they required to list sodium citrate, sodium bicarbonate, disodium phosphate, or sodium chloride, or whatever the heck that sodium is coming from on the the ingredients??! It just says carbonated water and potassium citrate.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3152 posts
42 upvotes
ur_funneh wrote:
Apr 28th, 2012 6:41 pm
Isn't there a difference between Carbonated water and Seltzer?

I believe Perrier carries CO2 only, where Club Soda carries sodium.

selzer is just the water and CO2. it would be acidic without the K as a buffer. i think soda water would be better. the sodium is nothing to worry about IMO.
× < >