• Apr 21st, 2014 8:57 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
1151 posts
55 upvotes

Software developer salary negotiation

Hey, I have 6+ years of .NET development experience. Have a Masters in Comp Sci as well. I have cleared an interview and they are requesting my salary expectation. What should I ask? I checked glassdoor but it is all over the place :lol:

Thanks
29 replies
Sep 15, 2010
868 posts
463 upvotes
Kawartha Lakes
65,000 to 115,00 depending on University and experience
Apr 23, 2008
340 posts
227 upvotes
Ottawa
This is usually a screening question. Just because you ask for something, doesn't mean they will offer that to you. If you ask too much, you're out. If you're working now, it's reasonable to ask for a bit more than you're making, to cover the risk of moving companies. Salaries depend on the local job market, available positions vs available people. e.g. salaries dropped a lot in Ottawa when Nortel started their layoffs in 2000.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
What projects have you worked on, in the GTA? Assuming typical business applications or ASP.NET, around 75K to 85K, thats what I would pay someone.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
1151 posts
55 upvotes
Thanks guys. I am getting close to 65k in my current job. Yeah I did work on typical business applications. I will ask for 80k and see what they say.
Jul 29, 2004
622 posts
136 upvotes
Calgary
i would go in on the higher end range and preface by saying that you are flexible on the salary depending on the overall employment package. ie:

- signing bonus
- relocation allowance
- bonus structure
- rrsp, stock options
- vacation days, personal / sick days
- etc.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
JayWang wrote: i would go in on the higher end range and preface by saying that you are flexible on the salary depending on the overall employment package.
Why make it so complex, just ask ... and if they balk then bring up options.

dealstime wrote: Thanks guys. I am getting close to 65k in my current job. Yeah I did work on typical business applications. I will ask for 80k and see what they say.
Just a FYI, you're approaching the maximum salary for a developer ... it's about time to start thinking about your next career move - either into management or a semi-technical job.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
1151 posts
55 upvotes
coolspot wrote: Why make it so complex, just ask ... and if they balk then bring up options.

Just a FYI, you're approaching the maximum salary for a developer ... it's about time to start thinking about your next career move - either into management or a semi-technical job.
I hate management work. All I see my manager doing is filling spread sheets and speaking on the phone. Hate it to the core. I am reading my undergrad stuff especially data structures and hope to jump to amazon or microsoft in a couple of years.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
153 upvotes
Amazon/Microsoft in Canada pay no better than any other company, you gotta move to the US if you expect good pay as a developer.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
dealstime wrote: I hate management work. All I see my manager doing is filling spread sheets and speaking on the phone. Hate it to the core. I am reading my undergrad stuff especially data structures and hope to jump to amazon or microsoft in a couple of years.
And you do realize, because you're the silent party, that someone in India can do your job for a fraction of the cost... and he probably has a PhD? :D
Jul 11, 2004
238 posts
49 upvotes
dealstime wrote: I hate management work. All I see my manager doing is filling spread sheets and speaking on the phone. Hate it to the core. I am reading my undergrad stuff especially data structures and hope to jump to amazon or microsoft in a couple of years.
What kind of work would you like to do in the future? Back-end work?
Jul 11, 2004
238 posts
49 upvotes
coolspot wrote: And you do realize, because you're the silent party, that someone in India can do your job for a fraction of the cost... and he probably has a PhD? :D
I certainly hope a PhD person isn't trying to code business applications... but then there are a bit of credentials inflation in India.

That aside, I am certainly worried about outsourcing. Should one try to get into a position where one gets to manage the outsourcing relationship?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
Emendo wrote: I certainly hope a PhD person isn't trying to code business applications... but then there are a bit of credentials inflation in India.
Yes they are, and they get paid 1/5th of what we get paid here.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
1151 posts
55 upvotes
OMG salary to outsourcing ...LOL. Anyway I doubt being a manager will save you from a layoff if entire dept is outsourced. In the worst case I can move to USA (one of my friend recently did that) or India(have dual citizenship). I think architects are paid decently as well.

One thing for sure...will try to avoid management role for sure. Doing some thing you hate is very stressful.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
dealstime wrote: I think architects are paid decently as well.

One thing for sure...will try to avoid management role for sure. Doing some thing you hate is very stressful.
Not saying you have to move into management, but you should look at moving into an area that leverages soft skills; if you build external relationships, that will make you harder to outsource.

However, too many programmers are happy being "code monkeys" being locked away in a back room... in that case, they are faceless and mean nothing to the company/customer except being a body.

Have you considered consulting or professional services?
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1195 posts
95 upvotes
Looks like the job was already outsourced to India, just the Indian came here instead.

I will be working closely with someone from professional services on a current project I'm working on. It's crazy how much they are charging (almost $2,000/day).
I want to grow up to be a debaser,
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
dealstime wrote: Hey, I have 6+ years of .NET development experience. Have a Masters in Comp Sci as well. I have cleared an interview and they are requesting my salary expectation. What should I ask? I checked glassdoor but it is all over the place :lol:

Thanks
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
vaportrails wrote: I will be working closely with someone from professional services on a current project I'm working on. It's crazy how much they are charging (almost $2,000/day).
On shore or offshore?

The $2,000 per day pays for a whole bunch of people on the back end, including the account manager, project manager, developers, etc.

Fully offshore rates are in the $25.00 to $85.00 per hour....
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1195 posts
95 upvotes
Well the company is offshore (England, UK) but I don't think that's what you meant.
I want to grow up to be a debaser,
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
^offshore means 3rd world country usually