software engineer is a bad career choice

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2018 10:15 am
[OP]
Dec 1, 2018
3 posts
3 upvotes

software engineer is a bad career choice

According to payscale.com, which does salary survey's, the current average salary for a software engineer in Toronto is $49,000. That is less than a postal clerk!! And they call this a high demand field (?) If your son or daughter is planning on studying computer science then they had better think twice before spending their money.
https://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Jo ... Toronto-ON
43 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6736 posts
1391 upvotes
honestyfirst wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 6:35 pm
According to payscale.com, which does salary survey's, the current average salary for a software engineer in Toronto is $49,000. That is less than a postal clerk!! And they call this a high demand field (?) If your son or daughter is planning on studying computer science then they had better think twice before spending their money.
$49K is for an entry level computer programmer which is about right. Bad choice? To some it might be to others it might be what they want. In general there is demand.
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Nov 15, 2016
226 posts
112 upvotes
honestyfirst wrote:
LOL $49k is starting? Yeah that's not even close. Get off those sites that do a pathetic job of representing the average salary. You really think this is accurate? It's not. I know many university students who took a few in-depth programming courses and some solid side projects who are considered "entry level" and were still able to negotiate a starting salary of $60k+

Get out of here with your blasphemy post, these type of posts do a great dishonour to many entry level hard working students who simply don't report their salaries
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1353 posts
461 upvotes
I did computer science for a few years when I was in university before changing majors, and hated programming, but in hindsight, I wish I did stick with it to some extent. Nowadays make a fart app, sell it for a $1 in an app store, and you make bank. I think this field will only keep increasing in demand as more and most things become mobile and automated.
Sep 29, 2014
199 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto, ON
honestyfirst wrote:
Hmm, quoting an unreliable source for a first post on a new account? Yea, doesn't sound fishy at all. Trying to lessen the future competition here, OP?

As a lawyer, I can tell you that many software engineers are matching or surpassing our salaries nowadays, even in the Toronto region.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1540 posts
868 upvotes
$49k is a bit on the low(er) side, but the field is terribly depressed in Canada due to an abundance of supply and very few employers taking up the slack. It doesn't help that immigration disproportionately puts talented people from overseas, many with STEM backgrounds, into the GTA and GVR.

For a lot of people with software skills, they can't even find jobs or obtain job interviews.

An absolutely horrifying data-filled and highly referenced study on the plight of Canada's STEM workers is found here:

https://www.ospe.on.ca/public/documents ... market.pdf

Figure 4 addresses Canadian workers in what might be termed the "Math/Computer/Info Sci." category and their employment outcomes, ie: less than half of the people trained in those fields actually work in anything remotely related to their field of study.

As a lawyer, I can tell you that many software engineers are matching or surpassing our salaries nowadays, even in the Toronto region.
Doesn't sound terribly accurate to me. Unless legal salaries have dropped dramatically.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1540 posts
868 upvotes
blexann wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 8:53 pm
$49K is for an entry level computer programmer which is about right. Bad choice? To some it might be to others it might be what they want. In general there is demand.
Less than what was on offer 20 years ago. It should be noted.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29499 posts
2263 upvotes
Winnipeg
honestyfirst wrote:
that's your problem, software people i knew who worked at toronto left and went to San Fran for double the salary. There is no professional association or regulatory body for developers, hence easier to move than others who may need to write qualification exams all over again.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1540 posts
868 upvotes
divx wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 3:52 am
that's your problem, software people i knew who worked at toronto left and went to San Fran for double the salary. There is no professional association or regulatory body for developers, hence easier to move than others who may need to write qualification exams all over again.
1 in 1000 hire to applicant ratio at the big tech companies. And the field unfortunately does not respect professional qualifications.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3674 posts
3599 upvotes
Toronto, ON
divx wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 3:52 am
Double the salary is not good enough for Silicon valley as the living cost is probably 3x more. The smart ones work remotely in Canada while making that double-triple US salary.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
4273 posts
984 upvotes
Toronto
Toad99 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 10:42 pm
LOL $49k is starting? Yeah that's not even close. Get off those sites that do a pathetic job of representing the average salary. You really think this is accurate? It's not. I know many university students who took a few in-depth programming courses and some solid side projects who are considered "entry level" and were still able to negotiate a starting salary of $60k+

Get out of here with your blasphemy post, these type of posts do a great dishonour to many entry level hard working students who simply don't report their salaries
Just another data point... university of toronto interns (12 - 16 month term) average salary for the current cohort is at $49k per year.
Of course, interns dont get the other additional benefits and such.... but it's still $49k for someoe who essentially has zero real world experience.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29499 posts
2263 upvotes
Winnipeg
burnt69 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 4:38 am
1 in 1000 hire to applicant ratio at the big tech companies. And the field unfortunately does not respect professional qualifications.
your paper is recognized, degree, cert is something you should add to your list of qualifications, but in the software industry they mostly consider your projects. Everyone in the industry have a list of papers but not everyone have a project that can impress.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29499 posts
2263 upvotes
Winnipeg
er34er34 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 10:14 am
Double the salary is not good enough for Silicon valley as the living cost is probably 3x more. The smart ones work remotely in Canada while making that double-triple US salary.
very good, you can recognize there are many available options out there.