Careers

Are Software Engineering and Computer Science degrees losing value?

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2015 4:49 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 9, 2007
182 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
No way... Theyre not nearly as good as university graduates
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2008
1057 posts
403 upvotes
Markham
programming skill today is sort of viewed as how the typewriting skill was viewed as back in the 80/90's. If I were to enter the tech industry today - i'd double major either in financial analysis/cs (quant), statistics/cs (big data/data engineering), or math/cs (business analysis). There is no software job that a double major can't fulfill, other than research intensive jobs which require a PHD, and not a concentrated CS degree.

Software engineering methodologies change so frequently that it is pointless specializing in them.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2008
1057 posts
403 upvotes
Markham
nitrus34 wrote: Can anyone shed some light on whether the 3 year Software Engineering Diploma through Conestoga is worthwhile? There is an optional Co-Op dependant on your grades. Would this be satisfactory in finding a job provided I completed it all?
honestly, in today's competitive landscape, you want every edge possible. I think you're trying to get away with the 'minimum requirements' to get a job, which is the wrong way at looking at the tech industry. Don't skimp on your future.

4 year degree with co-op : Waterloo, U of T, Queens, McGill, UWO, Mac, York.
Jun 26, 2010
475 posts
55 upvotes
Join Waterloo. Every Waterloo grad I know about is in Silicon Valley or some other impressive ass place. I really wish I went to Waterloo for CS. They have connections everywhere and it seems really easy to get your foot in the door.
Apr 26, 2015
30 posts
1 upvote
London, ON
unowned wrote: honestly, in today's competitive landscape, you want every edge possible. I think you're trying to get away with the 'minimum requirements' to get a job, which is the wrong way at looking at the tech industry. Don't skimp on your future.

Well to be fair I already have a B.A. in Finance from UWO and that got me nowhere. Tbh I was young, had no idea how important networking and internships were and now I can't find jack ***** for work. I have no one to blame, however, its also the reason I strongly prefer to do a co-op program which college offers. Also, my marks are nowhere near good enough to get into uWaterloo.
Jul 6, 2008
675 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
This book, read it you can ace any silicon valley job, assuming you get the opportunity of course.

Cracking the Coding Interview: 150 Programming Questions and Solutions
Banned
Nov 12, 2013
927 posts
209 upvotes
Iceland
No they arent. Get a Software Engineering degree from Waterloo and you're in pretty good shape.
"Between my salary and the office supplies I pilfer, I'm making 6 figures."
Medicine1T4 wrote: oh that's just a username............... im in grade 12
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39338 posts
6341 upvotes
Winnipeg
unowned wrote: honestly, in today's competitive landscape, you want every edge possible. I think you're trying to get away with the 'minimum requirements' to get a job, which is the wrong way at looking at the tech industry. Don't skimp on your future.

one of the names on there do not belong
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1508 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
i guess it's true because degrees like arts degrees don't have any value in the first place so you can't lose any value.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1863 posts
344 upvotes
Woodbridge
unowned wrote: programming skill today is sort of viewed as how the typewriting skill was viewed as back in the 80/90's. .
lol wat
Jul 6, 2008
675 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
a code farmers life is a sad life, do something else, if you have the chance.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)