• May 27th, 2008 10:56 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9099 posts
214 upvotes

Soil - how many bags in a yard?

Buying some triple mix, need about a yard, but the $50 delivery charge irks me. The triple mix itself is only $32.

How many standard sized bags would I need from a garden centre or wherever to equal a yard?

Also, I have a Subaru wagon, which hold quite a bit, but I'm not sure I can pick up loose mix myself at a soil place, as I think they use a bobcat to load you up, so you'd need a pick-up truck or trailer. Maybe I'm wrong? I'd be happy to throw down a tarp and shovel it in myself, if allowed.

Thanks.
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7741 posts
79 upvotes
Georgetown
I know that there are 30L in a bag, but I live in a metric world (always have) so I have no idea how many liters are in a yard....

I wish North America would choose a unit of measure already!! :lol:

Are you sure you'd want that mess in your car?

See this button :confused: :confused: Learn how to use it PLEASE ;)
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1918 posts
9 upvotes
KELOWNA
If you call the bulk suppliers they can give you the formula for figuring that out. I think most bags are about a cubic foot (some will say on the bag), so a cubic yard is 27 of those.

Last year I thought buying bags might be about the same price given the delivery charges and in the end I think I ended up actually paying more and still didn't have enough of what I needed. The other thing is I bought pea gravel and all those bags nearly did my axles in, they were heavy when it was all loaded. I also broke a small dolly I have unloading it, so I wasn't impressed with what it all cost me in the end.

You might consider getting it in bulk if you are doing some work that needs more than 10 small bags and even getting more than you think you need delivered (you can always make the beds deeper if you are doing a garden or save some to use next year). That gets you some extra you can use on other projects or means you can at least spread it thicker. Some places have 'yard bags' they fill and deliver which are really convenient especially if you have no place for them to dump from a truck. Also know they will often split a truck if you want soil and gravel or whatever so that can make the delivery worth the price.

Otherwise, finding someone with a truck and tarp (so you can get the stuff out of the truck easier) is a real help. You can shovel yourself at some places where they can weigh your car before and after but you need to call to see how they handle that. Some give you large bags to fill but the trick then is lifting them into the car as they are pretty big bags. Check you vehicle specks before you do anything to make sure it can take the extra weight too. All that stuff over your back axles can be heavier than you'd think.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9099 posts
214 upvotes
3weddings wrote:
May 27th, 2008 9:40 am
I know that there are 30L in a bag, but I live in a metric world (always have) so I have no idea how many liters are in a yard....

I wish North America would choose a unit of measure already!! :lol:

Actually, knowing the 30L number helps, so thanks! I just punched it into a conversion calculator and it looks like it's 25 30L bags to a cubic yard.

So I'd have to find the bags of triple mix for $3.28/bag or less to save any money here that way.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9099 posts
214 upvotes
3weddings wrote:
May 27th, 2008 9:40 am
I'd put a tarp in and shovel onto that. Believe me, I've done much worse things to my vehicles!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7741 posts
79 upvotes
Georgetown
Ohhh and I forgot to add that we have been buying the PC Black Earth lately (5 for $10)

We used to order from a place in Brampton and on Steeles (Hornby) but found that there were always so many seeds in bulk that it just frustrated us. It may end up costing a wee bit more, but without the weeds to worry about it's worth it.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9099 posts
214 upvotes
Dustbunny - good ideas, thanks.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9099 posts
214 upvotes
I'm not even sure if I need triple mix...I'm just doing new gardens, would I be okay with the PC black earth for that?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
7474 posts
383 upvotes
Scarborough
Someone did mention in other thread (can't rember where) that the black earth has no nutrition, top soils or triple mix is better choice.
Bullseye wrote:
May 27th, 2008 10:41 am
I'm not even sure if I need triple mix...I'm just doing new gardens, would I be okay with the PC black earth for that?
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1918 posts
9 upvotes
KELOWNA
No to the black dirt as it's not of much value. If you do decide to go bulk, ask where ever you are buying from about any compost/soil mixes they have. Those are usually just excellent for beds and are super rich in nutrients (no need for anything else for the rest of the season to have great plants).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7741 posts
79 upvotes
Georgetown
Bullseye wrote:
May 27th, 2008 10:41 am
We mix the black earth with peat moss and my gardens do quite well.

Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
1979 posts
7 upvotes
Kingston
we just did a HUGE veggie garden. walmart had to 25L bags of black earth for 97 cents.
i'm not far from them, so over the course of a week, everytime i was out i just popped in and got 10-12 bags at a time loaded in my trunk. brought it home for the kids to unload ....repeat lots of times.
we ended up getting 62 bags (we think) at last count.....so i guess we got somewhere around 2 yards for 62 bucks + tax.
we bought about 10 bags of veggie garden dirt for 3.50 a bag and mixed it in with the top layer.
good enough for me....last year we had 3 yds delivered for 125.

i also find it alot easier to drag the bags to where i want them, then i do to fill a wheelbarrow and drag it around.
× < >