• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2017 8:48 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 26, 2017
77 posts
9 upvotes

Solar Garage

My garage has no electricity and its 250 feet downhill from my house.

I'd love to get electricity but don't want to pay a fortune. I was going to run cable from my house to the garage but to be safe I'd have to do it underground and I simply don't want to do that, neither to I want to run 250feet in an extension cord.

I basically just need light down there, any power tools I can just keep precharged in my house.

I was thinking of just recharging a huge 12v battery at my place and just bring it down to the garage whenever I need it, with DC LED lights or something.

I was also looking at rechargeable lanterns and stuff but I doubt any of that will be bright enough.

Then I was thinking of a 100watt solar panel trickle charging the battery so I don't have to lug it back and forth?

Any suggestions?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1723 posts
157 upvotes
Calgary
If you are just using it for lights, then solar is perfect.

I'd get a couple 6V batteries, wire them in parallel to get to 12v and charge them with a 60w solar panel.

Use LED lights too.
[OP]
Mar 26, 2017
77 posts
9 upvotes
canehdianman wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 5:54 pm

I'd get a couple 6V batteries, wire them in parallel to get to 12v and charge them with a 60w solar panel.

Use LED lights too.
I hate to sound like an idiot but would you mind piecing together a setup on Amazon that would work in my situation?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7803 posts
1885 upvotes
Brampton
Gord18Stirr wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 5:56 pm
I hate to sound like an idiot but would you mind piecing together a setup on Amazon that would work in my situation?
Some of the pieces would be significantly cheaper at a place like princess auto.

How big is your garage's roof? And it gets enough sun? Last thing you want to do is put all this together and a huge tree shades it all day.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1723 posts
157 upvotes
Calgary
I'm not an expert, I'd recommend spending some time googling around. You will need to calculate how much energy you will be using in order to figure out how many batteries/panels you need.

There are thousands of people who have set up something similar and some of them will have how-to videos.

I have a small set up for my cabin in Northern Saskatchewan. I have 2 x 60W solar panels (Coleman brand). Each one came with a charge controller (the device that turns the solar panel output into 12v so you can charge the batteries). I use these to keep my 2 12V batteries topped up.

They work great. I have lights (LED strips) and can charge my cell phone as needed.
Oct 2, 2013
789 posts
356 upvotes
Montreal
Running #8/3 for 250' should give you a solid 15AMP with steady 120V+120V (240V).

You can get #8/3, 250' for about 600$. I think this will run you cheaper then big batteries, solar panel, inverter, etc.

Of course, you would need to dig and put tubing. You can get 1"½ x 12' tube for 12$ = 250$. This project would cost you about 850$. Probably less because 250' is a big quantity.
Jul 23, 2015
407 posts
156 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Where ? Is the garage insulated? Do you use it in the winter?

I'm sure you can get by with a one 12V deep cycle battery (around 140Ah - $140 at GNB in Hamilton, ON), ~80-100W solar panel ($150 at Canadian Tire) and LED lights (Amazon). Put a 12V car outlet on there too and you can charge phone or put a little 75W inverter if you need a little AC.
Oct 13, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
Canada
canehdianman wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 5:54 pm

Use LED lights too.
Pretty much what I Was thinking. We did a similar set up on our van rood but with a 100w panel and could power a fridge and lights for a few days after a full charge.