Home & Garden

Solar Panels Microfit Program for 2017 anyone ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2018 4:01 pm
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
1212 posts
581 upvotes
North York

Solar Panels Microfit Program for 2017 anyone ?

Wanted to get thoughts on Microfit vs Net metering. I'm getting a quote from Lowes (Solar Brokers) for about $30k ($34K with HST) for 10kw system that will basically take 11 years to pay back. I want to get everyones thoughts on if it's worth it this for the long haul seeing as hydro rates are going down for next 4 years and set to spike in year 5 on wards.

The Microfit rates for 2017 are around .29 cents which is still double the average Time of Use I pay for my electricity in Toronto. This makes me think it should help with payback and then when rates spike and I'm closer to paying it off I can switch to Net Metering to pay for my hydro costs.

I just don't understand how the TOU and Tiered Pricing works when going to Net Metering.

I've plugged in some pics of the pricing I've gotten from Lowes. Would love your input.
Images
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 11.17.10 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 11.16.56 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 11.17.40 AM.png
16 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3097 posts
474 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
afshaikh wrote:
I just don't understand how the TOU and Tiered Pricing works when going to Net Metering.
1. don't listen to any crap about cars and trees. this is about money and protecting your family from evil politicians like Kathleen Wynne.
2. forget TOU when you go to net metering. mutually exclusive events.

when net metering, you are hedging rates, it's nearly one-for-one. they will put you on tiered system where you pay more as you use more. then subtract production in the same tiers. I'm on net metering . my excess production in summer months goes for credits that are good for 12 months. produced enough last July to pay for several months.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Where did you get this quote? I cannot find it on Lowes.ca nor the solar brokers website
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
1212 posts
581 upvotes
North York
Since for tiered pricing it's a blended rate it's around 9-10 cents which is actually not that bad. And the rate rises after 900kwh and I only use about 500kwh.

After basent apartment is completed I'm expectingiy will be 700-800, still less than 900kwh for tiered rate for Net metering.

So theoretically I shouldn't be worried for tiered pricing when they time comes.

Also Wynn is lowering rates for next 4 years so Microfit will be even more profitable for this time period until it makes sense to go Net metering.

I know I posted 10kwh for about $30k, but I also got. Quote for 6kwh for about $20k which might make more sense sense I'm not using my electricity. Plus microfit rate us 31 cents vs 29 cents for 10kwh system.

Also I got the quote at Lowes rep at store. They partnered with Solar Brokers who own 30% of the market. Plus I feel a bit safer with 25yr warranty though Lowes as they should be around vs some pop up solar companies.

One question is that I require a roof in about 5 years or so. I've heard that you can write off roof cost (about $10k) if you have existing solar, is this true ?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
6kw for $20k is a good deal. How are reviews for this company?
Nov 29, 2015
77 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I got quoted 9.3kw for $26k plus tax.
Nov 11, 2015
119 posts
68 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Just got a guesstimate quote for 17-18000 for 3 separate 6 kw installs. Is this worth it you think?
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2472 posts
1906 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
There are companies that will install the solar panels on your roof for free. They will own the panels for 20 years and cut you a check each month for the use of your roof. After 20 years you own the panels.

I would do it if I was sure I'd stay in my house for 20 years but I might move soon and I'm worried it might be harder to find a buyer if the house is in a 20 year contract with the solar people.
Oct 17, 2017
3 posts
So I do solar power installations, and can do turnkey installations for $2.5 / watt as a rule of thumb. Likely better.
Happy to evaluate any roof and provide a free proposal.

Posts above are correct - if you go net metering, you'd be put on the tiered system.
http://www.torontohydro.com/sites/elect ... rates.aspx

Most people's energy use (those who work regular hours) is on peak, so not a bad deal to take that out of the equation.
I've sent out a few proposals lately for combination systems. 6 kW microFIT (31.1c rate) and then 4 kW AC net metered.
Really nice return there.
Jan 15, 2007
511 posts
103 upvotes
shaelrotman wrote: So I do solar power installations, and can do turnkey installations for $2.5 / watt as a rule of thumb. Likely better.
Happy to evaluate any roof and provide a free proposal.

Posts above are correct - if you go net metering, you'd be put on the tiered system.
http://www.torontohydro.com/sites/elect ... rates.aspx

Most people's energy use (those who work regular hours) is on peak, so not a bad deal to take that out of the equation.
I've sent out a few proposals lately for combination systems. 6 kW microFIT (31.1c rate) and then 4 kW AC net metered.
Really nice return there.
When net metering, do you still get the HST back? If not, I would think it would make more sense to set it up as a Microfit until the system is depreciated and then switch over to net metering ...

My wife and I are just waiting on the LDC to offer connection and then we're moving ahead with a Micro fit system. The way I see it, we will keep it as Microfit for the time being and somewhere down the line when the consumption rate is > the sale rate, we would switch to net metering.
Nov 21, 2017
1 posts
Could I get some contact information. I've Lowe's solar quote in hand but would like to get another opinion.
Thx
Josh
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11955 posts
3699 upvotes
Kingston
afshaikh wrote: I just don't understand how the TOU and Tiered Pricing works when going to Net Metering.
Read this thread: solar-energy-net-metering-ontario-1968455/

If you set up net metering you'll be switched from TOU back to tiered pricing. And you'll pay at the top tier and get credit at the bottom tier.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11955 posts
3699 upvotes
Kingston
Skirby01 wrote: When net metering, do you still get the HST back? If not, I would think it would make more sense to set it up as a Microfit until the system is depreciated and then switch over to net metering ...
No you don't get the HST back in a net metering set up.
microFIT first, net net metering is what I suggest in the net metering thread.

I suggest that if anyone is interested in either microFIT or net metering they participate in those threads. (I now see this was an older thread that was restarted by a solar panel install vendor)
Apr 9, 2018
1 posts
1 upvote
Don't use Lowe's!, I signed a contract with them last year ( 8 months ago) and they just now finally installed the panels on my roof , I paid them over 23 thousand up front and ( get this!) They demanded the final payment up front before the system was even hooked up!, they said if I didn't pay it they would cancel my contract with Toronto hydro and I would still be on the hook for the full cost and I would have solar panels on my roof which would be totally useless !. My advice for anyone thinking of doing this ?, DON'T USE LOWE'S!, anyone but them!.