Scammers and Warnings

Sold multiple items, guy claims one of them is busted, wants refund for everything?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2012 10:10 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Mar 27, 2007
15590 posts
555 upvotes
Niagara Falls

Sold multiple items, guy claims one of them is busted, wants refund for everything?

I sold an LCD monitor on Kijiji last night, the guy came to my house and picked up. It was a BNIB monitor and BNIB HDMI cable, both with receipt. He calls me this morning saying the HDMI cable doesn't work and wants me to take back the monitor and cable (at this point opened) and give him a full refund.

Am I obligated to do this? He has the receipt and can exchange the cable, which I did tell him but he wouldn't budge. He seems legitimate enough when we met, so it's kind of confusing this turn of events.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2012
2633 posts
419 upvotes
Ottawa
LOL the HDMI cable doesn't work so he wants to return monitor as well? :facepalm: Load of BS there, he probably didn't think it through before buying and is in a situation where he needs his money. That or he just thought that it wasn't worth the money he spent~ You're not obligated to do anything, you sold the monitor BNIB with BNIB HDMI cables. If you were to take it back, it'd be LNIB and the value would depreciate.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
3232 posts
1097 upvotes
Toronto
Setz wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 12:06 pm
I sold an LCD monitor on Kijiji last night, the guy came to my house and picked up. It was a BNIB monitor and BNIB HDMI cable, both with receipt. He calls me this morning saying the HDMI cable doesn't work and wants me to take back the monitor and cable (at this point opened) and give him a full refund.

Am I obligated to do this? He has the receipt and can exchange the cable, which I did tell him but he wouldn't budge. He seems legitimate enough when we met, so it's kind of confusing this turn of events.
It's better to meet at a public place bro, much safer.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
43189 posts
3035 upvotes
Toronto
Troy_McClure wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 1:57 pm
It's better to meet at a public place bro, much safer.
+1. Especially since It was BNIB items that there shouldn't be any required testing.
If they're BNIB items and they don't work that's not your fault, Can't he return them or exchange them since he has the receipts?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 27, 2007
15590 posts
555 upvotes
Niagara Falls
1010101010101 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 4:25 pm
now youre screwed for meeting at your place .....
I know. I really hate meeting people at my place, but without a car, it's pretty hard to travel with something as large as a computer screen.
Jimboski wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 2:02 pm
+1. Especially since It was BNIB items that there shouldn't be any required testing.
If they're BNIB items and they don't work that's not your fault, Can't he return them or exchange them since he has the receipts?
When I bought them, it was a combination of credit card and gift cards. He could exchange it, but not refund it (otherwise I'd have refunded them myself!).
Deal Addict
May 28, 2011
1139 posts
187 upvotes
Setz wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 4:28 pm
I know. I really hate meeting people at my place, but without a car, it's pretty hard to travel with something as large as a computer screen.

When I bought them, it was a combination of credit card and gift cards. He could exchange it, but not refund it (otherwise I'd have refunded them myself!).

People come to my house all the time.. I dont feel good about it but just secure your residence...Honestly Setup afew security cams it scares the ***** out of people.
WESTNYLEFX
THE COMPUTER GURU.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
43189 posts
3035 upvotes
Toronto
Setz wrote:

Oh I see. Better put some cameras up just In case.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
6843 posts
394 upvotes
Setz wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 12:06 pm

No. You're not a store. Who's to say he didn't swap the new cable with a broken one, or the same thing with the monitor? He has the receipt, that's good enough. You're not obligated to take the return, especially since you can no longer sell either as BNIB and will lose money on it.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
3802 posts
1072 upvotes
High River, AB
The chances of the cable being defective is astronomically low. Odds are he's either changed his mind (as others have said) or there's a problem somewhere between his keyboard and chair that's keeping it from working.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
2487 posts
43 upvotes
Mississauga
Setz wrote:

Just ask to meet somewhere further down your street, near a park or something close to you, ask them to call you when they get there so you don't get stuck waiting if they don't show. If the monitor is working then I don't see a reason why you should refund him for that.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5275 posts
897 upvotes
???
Dont entertain him. Usually people are too weak sauce to go after a couple bucks.
My basic strategies in fighting common traffic tickets: [shortened link removed]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2697 posts
230 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
This reeks of a rip off. Seems to me he may have swapped out a good (o/p's) monitor for a busted one. Meeting at your residence is a HUGE NO-NO! As 'legit' as this guy may have seemed, he may have been patient enough to wait for a deal where the meet was a residence, in order to pull a scam like this. Imo, I would not even allow contact again. Ignore and secure is the only thing you can do now.
Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2434 posts
212 upvotes
It's Kijiji... not a b&m store.. there's no takebacks!
Sep 5, 2012
328 posts
54 upvotes
Sounds like something is brewing. Why wouldn't the buyer return the items to the store when he has the receipt?
× < >